Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
preppystud

are parafilm better for grafting?

preppystud
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

right now, i am using plastic wrap and tape to graft, they seem to do the job.

do parafilm do a better job with a higher success rate?

also, home depot, walmart online sites don't seem to sell them? where do you buy yours?

Comments (11)

• benfisher
    8 years ago

I'm not sure it's better. It does come off easier, with less damage. I like to use it, but still cover it with tight electrical tape. This can be pulled tighter and adds structural strength for moving, bumping etc. when it's time you can peel one or both of them right off. Usually spring before green- up. Online ordering seems to be only location around here.

• ubro
    8 years ago

For me it is superior to regular tape, I personally get high graft takes when I use the parafilm, so it suites my methods better.

The parafilm is only for protection against drying, I wrap the whole scion right over the tip, but you still have to use a rubber tie to secure the graft union then wrap it with parafilm, no other tape is needed over that. The joy of parafilm is that it does not need to be removed. The leaf buds grow right thru, and it deteriorates long before it can girdle the scion, or the stretch in the tape allows the branch to expand and crack the tape. If you would rather remove it, it comes off easily. The same applies to the rubber ties.

I buy it online from a supplier, usually vineyard websites will offer it, or sometimes you can get it at a medical supply store.

• Kevin Reilly
    8 years ago

I like buddy tape best. Stretches a lot easier than parafilm.

• ubro
    8 years ago

melikeeatplants

I probably would use that but I cannot get buddy tape, up here. And shipping from the states is too expensive.

• lucky_p
    8 years ago

Parafilm is the bomb. Have been using Parafilm M in grafting for 20 years; have had a couple of chances to use the Parafilm grafting tape... I do not like it. At all. Have never seen or used Buddy Tape, so can't comment on it.

As ubro says, its purpose is merely to seal in moisture; it has virtually NO structural strength, so you still need to use rubber bands, grafting tape... something...to hold the pieces in place. You never haverto remove it, and buds push right through it, even if you've overwrapped them with multiple layers.

I work in a medical laboratory setting... have ready access to it. Medical/laboratory supply sources would be the place to go. High school/college/university biology/chemistry labs will probably keep it on hand and could point you to a source, though you oughta be able to find it easily with a simple internet search.

• rayrose SC 8
    8 years ago

Parafilm M is a lower grade product, and isn't as strong as other grades. The best that I've bought came from Womack's.

• mesembs
    8 years ago

I also use Parafilm. It is not too stretchy, but it stretches enough to create a very strong and waterproof seal. I have had interests in grafting for a long time, but I haven't actually done many grafts, and I haven't had any take either.

I order Parafilm on Amazon, it is pretty cheap, but it seems to do the job.

• speedster1
    8 years ago

I love parafilm because it's so easy to wrap the scions tight prior to grafting. One the graft is in place I take rubber splicing tape and tape over the parafilm at the graft union for structural stretch. Works great.

• skyjs
    8 years ago

I use parafilm for budding but rubber bands and Doc Farwell's for whip and tongue SPring grafting.

John S
    PDX OR

• ubro
    8 years ago

For me I get 60% better scion take when I use parafilm and wrap the whole scion including the cut top prior to attaching it to the rootstock. I do this so the wrapping process does not disturb my graft placement. I then wrap the graft area after it has been secured with the rubber band for stability.

As luck-p says, this keeps the moisture in and gives incredible results.