Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekaterine

Help re: Grilles or not on new windows

ekaterine
8 years ago

I like the grilles on Colonial houses. My house is not a Colonial but it isn't really modern either. I am replacing all the windows with Andersen 400 series and having 2" white wood blinds on the interior. Since wood blinds in my opinion compete with grilles, I'm considering no grilles. Since the windows are rather large, I am nervous about having no grilles especially in my neighborhood where a majority of people have colonial and salt-box style houses, with a few like mine and the occasional more modern ranch style. Can anyone advise me on what would be appropriate for this style of house? This is my second post, because I made errors in the text the first time and I hope these photos are a bit better. Sorry for the bare tree branches and the landscaping needing done in the front. It's winter where I am !

Comments (18)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    Go with a dark window frame ...very nice...also ideas below
    ekaterine thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Due to the very detailed coloration of the bricks on your home I think the Windows should stay simple...if you are looking to give your home a little more personality it will take a stronger statement to not get lost in all the brick variations...maybe consider larger..solid-type shutters for your windows...this packs a better punch and contrast that still ties back to the brick colors...
    ekaterine thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Also a bright color on your front door will add some curb appeal...draw the eye to the entry..choose a color you like but in a clear primary version ...a bright turquoise would bring an unexpected..flash of color...or an orangey red...or my favorite ....periwinkle ...goes great with natural brick
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Painting the chairs on the porch to match the door would brighten up the porch area as well
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Also as to the winter landscaping...this spring take a stroll thru the best local nursery and look for some evergreen bushes in the silvery light green color..plant a good sized grouping across the front of your house for a lovely soft winter color...some of them even have colorful berries in the winter..if you like...in the summer you can add annuals in front of the bushes for more depth...color ....and texture
  • chiflipper
    8 years ago

I agree with cathyjoco...re: shutters on left only and railing removal, wide steps, no grilles on windows. Your lovely home is not a colonial or a saltbox, don't try to make it one.

ekaterine thanked chiflipper
  • S Bailey
    8 years ago

Grilles are a nightmare for cleaning. Avoid if at all possible. Taking them out to clean makes them vulnerable to breaking. Leaving them in for cleaning means that the little corners never look tidy

ekaterine thanked S Bailey
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Three looks with half Grilles?

Traditional Exterior · More Info

Traditional Exterior · More Info

Brookdale Gardens · More Info

ekaterine thanked Susan Davis
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Just realized I omitted and important element in previous posts ..I think painting the larger shutters in the same color as ....the window trim and railing and garage door .....would have the most impact on giving your home more personality and distinction...
  • ekaterine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks to everyone for the wonderful ideas! This has been very inspirational. I especially like the idea of removing/replacing my small shutters and changing the color scheme. I am comfortable now going with no grilles and I'm now thinking interior plantation shutters instead of wood blinds might dress up the windows nicely from the outside (inside too).
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    One last suggestion ...see photos on Houzz "windows with shutters" there are lots of ideas to add a little trim...at the top of the Windows ....for example...that are simple but can add to the overall detail and can even be painted to match the door color for another easy extra with lots of impact...as to the plantation shutters...these are a favorite of mine ...but an expensive option....if you are really seeking an effect from the outdoor view perhaps consider simple pull down blinds with some color or even a pattern...could be very interesting and perhaps even opaque to still let in some light when closed during the day
  • ekaterine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    You are correct about the plantation shutters,they are a bit pricey. I really love them and thought of one way to mitigate the cost a bit: use them in the front with color-matched wood blinds in the back.
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    The main thing to remember with plantation shutters is that they are an architectural element and read better if they match the window trims ..this makes a grander solid presentation as one unit..and can stand alone or have added treatments as you wish....they are however more common in southern or tropical climates and usually look better in tropical homes...if you really love them you may want to lean your interior decor in that direction a little
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Keep in mind that they cut off a lot of the light and view whether open or closed...will this suit your climate?
  • ekaterine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ritasj: you raise two excellent points. I wondered how much light/view they might cut and that might be a concern for me.
    I'll need to think more about this clearly. My original plan was for simplicity( I like simplicity) in the form of white wood blinds, because I like that they let in light and a view, yet they can be tilted or closed for privacy. I may stick to this original plan. I just love those plantation shutters, but if they cut out too much light or view, I may have to rethink that. First I have to get the windows installed of course, and that will happen in April. Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas and advice, they are greatly appreciated. :)
  • User
    8 years ago

Your brick has a lot of color and texture so that I don't think neighbors will notice if you do have grills. Plantation shutters are an architectural feature on the inside of the house and present a finished look on the outside. I think grills would superfluous.

ekaterine thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

I would keep the windows plain. No grids.

ekaterine thanked User