Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bizzymama109

Dresser I would use as a TV stand in family room: To paint or not to paint/stain?

bizzymama109
11 years ago
Hi,

I picked this piece up for $13. It's in relatively good shape but not cosmetically. Joints are solid tongue and groove and is solid wood (Huntley by Thomasville piece) There is some water damage on the top and one of the brass pulls is tarnished probably by the same liquid that damaged the top. I am planning on putting this up against the wall of the family room where the picture is and putting the TV on it. With the brown sofa, what colour painter stain would you recommend and whether or not it's even worthwhile redoing. After looking at this piece again, I'm kind of having second thoughts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Anna

Comments (25)

• PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    If your having second thoughts cut your loss at $13 If you don't love it don't do it. I live by that rule.
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    Your room looks more on the contemporary side, so I would suggest painting it a rich red or black to match what you already have in your room. It could be great...And you can't beat the price!
  • patti1123
    11 years ago
    Take off off the hardware and spray with a nickel finish to make them pop against a dark stain, or paint.
  • User
    11 years ago
    In the photos it looks like the same tone as your floors. If so I would try it in the space as is. May bring a little warmth/eclectic.

If you don't like that I think painting it black as above suggested is a good idea.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    Go for it...high gloss would be lovely and for a few bucks why not try it? You can always resell it for more if it turns out not to be tour style. I was thinking maybe a cool yellow or green for pop. This one is super cool- it looks like they then put a stain over the paint.
  • User
    11 years ago
    I say replace or paint the hardware as suggested. I am usually all about going with black but, in this instance, I think it would be too dark for your room. The interesting details of the wood may be lost, too. Fix the water damage (or cover it with the TV) and you are set. Great piece and price!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Is the top veneer? May have trouble with paint sticking well...?
  • 14thstreet
    11 years ago
    Do you have any grays in your rug? Gray might be an idea...
    [houzz=
    Master Bedroom · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Katie · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    My Houzz: Eclectic Amsterdam Apartment · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    Just make sure you prime it correctly- no worries
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    I vote for paint. It's cheap and if you don't like it, you are not out all that much. I think black would look great normally too, but that is a dark wall color in there. I love your look, but maybe consider a lighter taupe (like the dog floor) for contrast or a deep, not bright red from your painting.
  • Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
    11 years ago
    I LOVE IT! I bought a stunning old mahogany dresser that I absolutely LOVE and all my friends hate it. Who cares? It makes me feel good every time I look at it. I'd definitely paint it using blacks (as in differing finishes). High gloss in combination with matte and flat. Maybe rub some back off and have some fun with it. It's a nice one. Enjoy it!!
  • bizzymama109
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    14th street, I just saw your attached pics! Grey may be a good choice as well!
    jayme, I just realized there was no hallway table in the original pic!
  • User
    11 years ago
    Another option would be a silver finish. A rubbed silver finish might bring out the grain but in a modern way.
  • Sarah
    11 years ago
    Hi, is the colorful painting that is on the wall staying in the room? If so, I would pull a light blue out of that for your paint color. Also, I suggest adding some short legs to the piece if possible. This will take away that "dresser" look it has now. Depending on how the bottom is constructed, you should be able to buy them at lowes or homedepot and just screw them on.
  • grandmalucy12
    11 years ago
    I would first paint it red then paint black over it and rub corners so red shows through. Paine or buy new hardware
  • bizzymama109
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'm now thinking that since my husband won't let me paint it red ( I LOVE how the red would pop I. The room), I may have to go either black or white or grey (classic but will be pretty). Since I'll be lightening the wall colour to a grey like the rest of the house. I also picked up some drapes from ikea (janette) which has black, grey, plum and creams in it.
    Sierra251, good idea but I looked under and there isn't a way to screw on legs. Too bad!
    I can't start the project for at least a month because it's still too cold here in the suburb of Toronto.

Have a great week!
  • memre22
    11 years ago
    I purchased a dresser with the same intent. Also waiting on the weather. I plan on removing the center swing doors, and have glass inserts made. Take out the sliding drawers in the center and put in glass shelves. I will install a small LED light strip high in the back. Then use the center as a curio cabinet for display.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    I assume that your tv is a newer, lightweight model. A problem with using a dresser as a tv stand is that little ones can pull the tv down on them. This can be deadly with a heavy old tv. With a newer one, you might want to fasten the tv to the stand somehow.

This will look great painted. If you repaint the walls light, black might look good--it mirrors the color of the tv when it isn't on. However, grey or taupe would also look good.

Do you plan to use satin, flat, or milk finish?
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    YES! Paint it - how cool is this piece - you can actually make it a funky addition by choosing a great toss cushion with some colour and/or pattern, then repeating one colour on this dresser - which isn't really worth that much, and I don't think is solid wood -

Tie it into something in your space - have fun with it and make it count - you have an opportunity to really do something special and get away from the boring neutrals - add some colour!
  • PRO
    Carriage Lane Design-Build Inc.
    11 years ago
    I would paint it for sure!!! that's a steal for the piece. I would either stain it a dark colour or paint it grey or black. I'm leaning more towards staining it so that the texture and pattern of the wood is visible.
  • bizzymama109
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Tada! Finally did it! And love how it turned out! Thanks for all your help!
  • bizzymama109
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you all think about the hardware? I was going to spray paint them but I couldn't decide when I got to Home Depot. There is corrosion on a couple of them but other I can't live with. I do think the brass goes well with the red. It sort of brings an asian feel to the piece.
  • bschr
    10 years ago
    Love it, you did an amazing job! The colour is beautiful and really looks nice against the wall!
  • thriftyboho
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think it looks fantastic (and you said your hubs wouldn't let you paint it red! Good thing husbands aren't always as in charge as they think they are, LOL!). Where did the painting go? More pics of the room, please!

Edit: Ooops, sorry! Didn't realize how old this discussion is. I'll look to see if you posted any updates elsewhere.