Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmills1205

Best way to find local designer for a very small job

cmills1205
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

In your opinion, what's the best way to find a local designer that would be interested in a very small job
? I'm on a budget, but need help finding high-end wall covering for a powder room, and assistance in finding a contractor who can properly hang it. Should I just start reaching out to local pros on houzz? I've never used a designer (outside of those who work in retail) so I'm not sure where to begin.

Comments (5)

• User
    8 years ago

Plenty of designers will do a small 4-5K job like that around other work that they are doing. Start calling.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Houzz is a great place to search for your designer. You would be surprised how many designers are willing to take a small job. The best thing for you is to get expert advise to avoid mistakes. The designer will have access to good paper hangers as well. If you're buying high end wall covering, then you want the same caliber installer.

• Jillian - Interior design student
    8 years ago

I hope McCandish is right for your sake. I would be surprised if many designers would be willing to entertain such a small job.

Visit the Web sites of some of the top wallpaper designers, including Brunschwig & Fils (Brunschwig.com)…Cowtan & Tout (Cowtan.com)…Lee Jofa (LeeJofa.com)…Nina Campbell (NinaCampbell.com)…Scalamandré (Scalamandre.com)…and Schumacher (FSchumacher.com). If the wallpaper you like normally is sold only through interior designers, you might be able to find it on the Wallpaper Collective, a Web site that sells many artisanal wallpapers directly to the public (WallPaperCollective.com).

For a powder room, stay away from dark-colored paper with a small print, says New York designer Fawn Galli. "It makes the room gloomy, even smaller and -- in the most dramatic cases -- claustrophobic." Instead, go with a large, fantastical print, such as one of botanicals or birds. The oversized design creates the optical illusion that the walls are bigger.

Good luck.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    8 years ago

I think a lot of designers miss out on tons of work as look at the countless posts on here when someone simply needs a color or maybe floor choice. If they simply had a menu for say pic a color that matches this or that $50 or floor assistance $100, etc, etc. I am sure their phone would be ringing off the hook.

I would love to use a designer in that way as it would speed up jobs that need quick decisions vs being stuck with a designer for a small job and feeling like I have to let them choose everything along with a big bill.

Heck look at all the designers answering questions all day on here. They could make $500 a day while playing on the computer.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

I am one of those designers that is willing to help on a very small project. My projects are wide and varied and I am passionate about my profession! It doesn't take much to offer 1 hour of design time to help a new client. This is better than people making a mistake that is very costly to rectify. I would say that not all designers are created equal! It's easy to say: " Start looking on various websites, Jillian, but you will find that clients don't possess "vision". They cannot imagine what that page of wallpaper will look like in their space. It takes years of an experienced eye to imagine that for the client plus include their taste/style into the space. I also don't agree about not using a dark colored background. A powder room is the one place in your home where you can make a statement! It's okay to be bold !

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County