Which granite/quartzite is this?

pakula99
8 years ago
Thank you
Colby Kitchen Expansion · More Info

Comments (4)

• srobertb
    8 years ago
    Always hard to say on pictures. Countertops can be called 4 different things depending on the supplier, distributor, and region.

It looks to me to be a macaubus quartzite variation. They typically are more gray scale but that's not always the case. Ours looks just like this but with more green in it. It was called Albany FWIW.

If you love it, run with it. Don't get caught up in names. Also recognize that the sellers are not fabricators so take the name quartzite/granite/soapstone with a grain of salt.

Does it scratch with a paper clip or key ring? When picking out slabs, especially quartzite which ranges in hardness, we would always try and scratch a corner with a jagged key ring end. It's why we passed on super white quartzite. While most granites are very hard, quartzite range from "as soft as marble" to "harder than granite" so a scratch test is key.

With the veining on that slab I would take a flashlight and look for fill. Not everyone can live with a lot of fill. Especially in a bright kitchen.
  • srobertb
    8 years ago
    (This is/will be our island). It was one of many I call a Macaubus Quartzite variation. It is much greener than it appears. It came in funkier blue versions, white/grey, etc.
  • pakula99
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wow. Thanks for the great answer. We found a couple slabs called sea pearl that we really like. Will go back and do the scratch test. Thanks!
  • PRO
    New Castle Properties
    8 years ago
    This is actually Sea Pearl granite
    pakula99 thanked New Castle Properties