Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillary_albaine

New Homeowner, new state, and at a loss with front landscape

Hillary Albaine
8 years ago

Hi all,

Last summer my husband and I bought our first home while we were expecting our first baby. Now it's March and I have a five month old and a yard that needs a pretty serious facelift. I've spent hours today trying to make a plan but I think I'm just more confused than where I started. Can any veterans give me a good plan?

I'm wanting to add a garden along the front of the house (from the left corner to the front porch, approximately 20 feet or so) and about 3-4 feet wide. I like the look of black mulch with no pavers or edgers (just mulch meets grass). I haven't decided whether to continue it in front of the porch- so give me your opinions on whether that would look nice or not.

I need to hide the crawlspace vents and because the yard slopes gently off to the left I'd like to mix plants with varying heights so that the entire top appears somewhat level. I'd like fairly tall plants in back to stop about 1 foot below the windows. (would be about 4-5 feet on the far left corner and 3 feet tall next to the porch.) I prefer perennials and evergreens.

On the left corner of the house where the white drainpipe comes down you can see a small stump- that is actually what was left of a giant bush that was there when we bought the house. It was cut down almost to the ground at the end of last summer and it's already about 3 feet tall again and about 2 feet wide. I was going to just keep this sucker pruned and manageable, and work it into my plan- because I don't know if I can remove it with the skills/tools I have available. I'm having trouble identifying it- it might be a japenese holly- it looks very similar, but it doesn't produce berries, and it gets very large. It was at least 6 feet tall and 3-4 feet wide when it was cut back. I have several of the same type trying to spring up all along my fenceline and they had to be cut back from around the AC compressor when we moved in. On the front right of the porch where it meets the driveway in the first picture you can see another shrub that I think is the same type as the one on the left corner. It looks a lot like a Japenese holly but has never gotten berries. I was going to work this into my plan too- with a lot of pruning, because again, I don't know how to remove it and keep it from growing back.

On the front left of the driveway you can see what I think was a fast growing green giant evergreen. The utility company came out to trim around the power lines and we actually just had them cut that all the way down to the ground because I hated it and it blocked our view when trying to back out of the driveway. Right now it's a stump- any advice on whether it will grow back and how to keep that from happening? I'd like to put a nice low shrub there instead on the same spot- I was thinking like a small lilac or another shrub, or even turn it into a small flower garden with something big to obscure the stump and smaller plants around it.

Last but not least, we cut back what felt like a jungle of dense bushes and things down the left side of the house (which is why that area looks like it recently got a bad haircut.) I discovered that probably many years ago wood borders were built there to house some kind of garden and are still there/partially buried. There is also some ivy that I tried to pull down last year and hasn't fully died and a few stumps of old dead bushes. In that area I'd like a slim line of perennials down the side of the house- maybe something like daylillies if they could survive there- or even canna. I'm not particular about height on that side as the windows are pretty high up.

We're in the North Atlanta area (zone 8a, I believe). I have not tested the soil ph yet but my mom thinks azaleas would do well in front. I love them but I'm concerned they may not be tall enough. I love flowering shrubs, love hydrangeas and hostas as well but I don't want to overdo it. The shutters have since had a fresh coat of black paint and we will be putting up a new white porch railing and posts soon. I don't know what kind of color palette I should go for but I would love to have lots of blooms and I really love bright reds and whites.

Lastly- I'd like to make this as low-maintenance as possible. Of course I have time for weeding, watering, occasional feeding and pruning if necessary and re-mulching when needed, but I do have a young baby so having to replant every year isn't going to work for us right now. Also, the trees stay at least for now. I know that at least the one in front of the porch obscures the view but it's not in the cards to do that at this time.

Thank you so much for any thoughts you can provide. I'm here trying to draw a plan and get together a shopping list and after several hours I'm more lost than where I began...

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    8 years ago

I don't think we like to read that much. :-) In fact, we'd rather see for ourselves what's there, in good clear pictures. The pics you posted are from too far away, too high an elevation, are too poorly lit and too fuzzy. Sounds like they are out of date regarding the large evergreen that obscures much of the view. How about standing in the vicinity of where that large evergreen is and take 3 slightly overlapping pictures (all from that exact position) that pan the front of your house, from lot line to lot line. Just pivot the camera to each picture.

You indicate you are new at creating a landscape, and frustrated by attempting the process of planning it. Then you go on to say how you intend to resolve it. Do you care if those ideas are good? Or you just want help in how to implement them? You might consider advice on what you ought to do instead of what you want to do.

Also consider that this forum is useful not just for planning the immediate, but what one would do at a future point. (That's what planning is.) So why not accept advice on what should be done to or for existing trees as well ... whether you can do the actual work immediately, or not?

• Hillary Albaine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think it's kind of rude to comment just to tell me what I did wrong by asking for help (with plenty of detail) and using pictures that were readily available to me. If you are giving advice, which is what I asked for, these pictures are good enough. It doesn't matter on what site, on what forum- there is always one person who just HAS to pipe up to be unhelpful and critique your request instead of answering your questions.
    I was asking for advice on my own fledgeling plan- not asking for free design from someone.
    Next time if you don't have anything helpful to say, and if you can't give your thoughts nicely, just don't say anything. I'm sure it's satisfying to try to discourage new gardeners by giving your two cents about their photos, their ideas, and whatever else without giving your opinions on the questions actually posed. Going on the attack like that with the third degree, "You indicate you are new at creating a landscape, and frustrated by attempting the process of planning it. Then you go on to say how you intend to resolve it. Do you care if those ideas are good? Or you just want help in how to implement them? You might consider advice on what you ought to do instead of what you want to do." I'm not a child and am fully capable of planning and doing it on my own, thank you, I'm just here to see if a KIND person might give a few suggestions or point out something they've seen that looked nice on a similar house.

Also, there is nothing wrong with being honest about what's in the cards for you (budget, time, and overall investment wise) than just wasting everyone's time. I didn't want a thread with 20 responses about how I need to limb up, thin, or remove trees in my yard. I want a thread about how to plant a line of perennials in front of my house that will look nice together. I think in my essay of a post I made that fairly clear.

• frankielynnsie
    8 years ago

Your rude reply to one of the most helpful contributors will not encourage anyone to assist you. Maybe you need to try again on another forum with a better attitude.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

I agree with frankielynnsie. If you would be just a bit open to yaardvark's suggestions, you would receive in return multitudes of quality advice and pictures. He/she has very, very extensive experience and absolutely wonderful ideas. And it's all free!

A picture he/she developed for a suggested design for my front yard, 3 years ago, has been very valuable to me. I have been working toward making my yard look like that, and someday I will post a new picture of my yard to compare to it.

• frankielynnsie
    8 years ago

No bullying Puremichigan. I have been on this site for many years and have seen the amount of free advice given by Yard and other true landscaping professionals that use to be on this site. Many left because this site became a gimmie with no appreciation venue.

This forum started out as a site where professional landscapers discussed ideas and concepts about landscaping and it has evolved into a site where people come for advise and good advise is given for free with drawings and illustrations that would otherwise cost 'do-it-yourselfers' a lot of money. But you have to provide the pictures, zone, likes and abilities to have any hope of getting someone to give of their time to help you--and being nice is also necessary.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    8 years ago

Rude and condescending is rude and condescending no matter how much free advice you dole out. When making an online comment I try to think if that's how I would respond to someone if they were standing in front of me. But everyone's raised differently I guess.

ANYHOW, couple things for Hillary:

• 3-4' deep is going to be a little tight for planting beds, especially if you're planning on stepped plantings. 5' is sort of my default minimum, but really figure out what you're planting, then decide on depth. Works way better than trying to cram an adult silverback gorilla into a size small track suit.
    • Plant in such a way that, once everything fills in, you'll barely see mulch. Then you won't feel the need for black mulch. Every time I convert someone away from black mulch an angel gets its wings.
    • if you don't want a particular tree or shrub, stop cutting them to the ground. Leave 3-4' of trunk so you have a lever to help pop it out of the ground. Currently your permanent removal options are a lot of digging (by hand or with a machine) or grinding the stumps. They sound small so you *could* do it with a rental stump grinder (the small ones are only $100 or so a day)
    • i've never seen a green giant arb sprout back like you're concerned about. Wouldn't worry about it, BUT that stump is going to be a pain in your butt in the future, I'm sure. Get rid of it if you can.
    • can't really help on plant selection with the small amount of detail given. Honestly you're trying to do enough, in a situation where you have some constraints and existing conditions, that it's probably worth your while to seek out a landscape designer. Houzz has a find a pro feature, or you can check out www.apld.org

I hope that helps, feel free to circle back around with any questions!

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

I use Round Up on things that try to grow back. I agree the new bed should be five feet deep. I would not run it along the porch. I wouldn't plant anything in the area with Ivy. You need to dig it out and it will return. Getting rid of Ivy is not a quick job most of the time. If it is sunny enough Daylilies will be fine the rest of the way down that side. I suggest the Perennial Forum for help selecting plants. They know about mixed borders, flowering shrubs and such.

Your pictures are poor. I don't think it was rude to say so.

• Kim in PL (SoCal zone 10/Sunset 24)
    8 years ago

Hi there. Congratulations on the new house and the five month old! Because you have a lot going on in your life, it might make sense to prioritize your concerns into a list and focus on the top 2 or 3.

I've never lived in your plant zone, so can't comment on specific plants. But for your planting bed along the front of the house, I'd encourage you to make it as deep as you can manage, at least 5 ft. In my experience, a 3 ft. bed is just about worthless for planting multiple plants as you describe. 5 ft. or more will give you easier maintenance, more plant choices, and room for the plants to reach their full potential. Any curves in the bed, if desired, should be very big and long -- no short wiggles. Straight lines work too. The photo suggests you will need shade plants, but maybe it is an early morning photo? Observe how many hours of sun the area will get and select plants that like the shade or sun provided. Put your time and energy into improving the soil before you plant, as it will really pay off in the health and beauty of your garden.

You mention "low maintenance" -- put more emphasis on slower growing plants and you will have fewer maintenance problems. Accept that the garden is ever-evolving and never finished, and enjoy your journey.