Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Lamp(s) Lust satisfied via eBay and Craigslist - I'm in love

My3dogs ME zone 5A
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Joann and cliff's post on lamps made me want to share my recent bargains with you. I have a 'thing' for lamps, vintage or antique, if possible. After buying these below, I have looked for hours online and not been able to find others like them. I like lamps that aren't seen everywhere

I was looking for a pair of lighter colored spring/summer lamps for my living room early this month, and found this auction on eBay, which this photo is taken from.

I research everything I buy and for Heyward House lamps, found this in an online furniture post where someone was asking if she should save her 15 year old HH lamps - "Heyward House is one of those quiet companies that you don't
hear much about, but year after year they keep putting out
beautiful, high quality products. If you shop around for lamps and
compare the detail, the color, the consistency of the design I think
you will find that Heyward House stands out as being exemplary in
each category. So yes, I would definitely keep the Heyward House
lamps." I paid $100.00 for the pair.

A friend in Boston who has gorgeous antiques and studies them well said that the design on them is the "Fungus (Sacred - lingzhi) - immortality and longevity". I have ordered shades for them and can't wait til they arrive.
After having these arrive, in the best packaging I have EVER seen, I was still looking for lamps, just because I like to see what's out there. Sigh....I saw these beauties, thought of my pending tax refunds, and won them. Thinking of what I'd pay for a newly made lamp, I think winning this pair for $167.50 was a bargain. Ebay auction photo -
In my living room, where below the chair rail, the walls are BM Andes Summit -
Last, but the biggest bargain of all. I work (and play) long hours in my home office and wanted a desk lamp that I could have illuminate my keyboards at night. Looked at Craigslist Wednesday PM, and saw this beauty for only $20.00, but it was an hour and a half away, and we had storms coming. CL pic below. I emailed the seller, who (what are the chances?) was coming to my area the very next day to pick his wife up from a plane trip, and offered to meet me at a spot less than 4 miles from my house! We met, the lamp was incredible, solid brass and weighs 15 lbs, so I know it won't tip over on my PC armoire no matter how I angle it! I gave him the $20 and a bag of Lindt truffles that he was thrilled with, and he handed me the lamp from where it was safely strapped in a baby seat in his car. It was his first time using CL, and he said he likes it!

In my office on the PC armoire. Everything about it says quality, and where those 3 'balls' (about 1.5" across) are are places where the angle can be adjusted. I have ordered an Edison style LED bulb from Amazon for it. The black at bottom is part of the cast iron base under the brass, which gives it 'feet'. It's been re-wired with heavy gauge wire (14 feet!) and an in-line cord switch, in addition to the turn switch in the socket. HAPPY DANCE!

Comments (39)

• dexx215
    8 years ago

Love all those lamp! I especially like the LED Edison bulbs. Haven't seen them before. Great prices too.

• always1stepbehind
    8 years ago

LOVE that brass one...what a great deal AND the seller coming to your area. Talk about win, win!

• gramarows
    8 years ago

All I can say is, WOW! Fantastic finds. I'm a lamp person, too!

• User
    8 years ago

Great buys! Another lamp lover here.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

Gorgeous finds!

• blfenton
    8 years ago

People change their lamps with the seasons? Who knew - obviously not me but something very worthwhile to consider. I like that idea. Now to check out Home Sense and Pier 1. (Our craigslist is atrocious.)

I love the second set of lamps - they are so colourful.

• decormyhomepls
    8 years ago

You just gave me a new appreciation for lamps. Beautiful

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Beautiful. Love all of them!

• Yayagal
    8 years ago

Thanks My3Dogs, right after I prepare another item for my menu tomorrow, I'm going on Ebay and Craigslist. I have lovely lamps but I'd like a change of scenery. You've given me inspiration to go hunting.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

blfenton,

That may only be me! I just love lamps, and have quite a collection, and also have made several. Having these 'new-to-me' ones, I want to be able to enjoy seeing them. I left one out, because I'm re-making it, thanks to Allison0704 above. :-)

I have always admired her 'TV lamp conversion' shown just below, from this post here last year http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3078352/vintage-lamps-items-repurposed-into-lamps-etc-please-share-your-pics?n=34

There is one of those vintage dogs TV lamps on eBay now, but then I saw this handmade one, all brass (I have always liked brass) and I am going to re-make it.

I have some tiger oak, which I'll make into a larger base and I'll route the edges nicely and stain and seal it. I have a shallow rectangular parchment shade with a small gold trim for it. Someone made a base for this one from Corian, and they put the brass plate on the back of it to cover the messy channel they drilled for the wire. Drilling the wire holes in wood will be a lot easier, and no cover-up needed. Pic is from eBay.

• patty Vinson
    8 years ago

Awesome deals dogs! I love vintage lamps also, and only have one new lamp which I bought 7 years ago when I moved into my 'then' new house. I especially like the HH blue/white ginger jar(?)style, even though I don't own one. What's not to love? I seem to have taken a liking to the Bouilotte style lamp, in various, sizes, and with metal shades. Mine are not as ornate as many i've looked at on ebay, but they're not at pricey either. I'll be going to the Round Top antique show here in Tx next week, and will be keeping my 'peepers' open for another one, possibly two if the price is right. I purchased mine from antique stores or was lucky to find them at thrift stores. Here's a pic from one on ebay~love the color. Most of mine are black.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

This has been a veritable feast of gorgeous lamps and certainly shows that they don't have to be just utilitarian objects. My favorite ones are the first two with the "sacred mushrooms", a motif that is found on many Chinese porcelains, and these lamps are really attractive and well-made, and at a great price. The office lamp is also awesome, and what a nice touch that you gave the seller extra money and chocolates. I love the doggie ones too. I'm afraid to look on e-bay now for fear that I'll find one I simply must have. Great buys, everyone.

• raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    8 years ago

Beautiful lamps! I particularly like the brass one :) We're in the UK where Craig's List doesn't feature, but we've been doing eBay for about twelve years - buying and selling (we have a registered business) - and have found some great pieces, including lamps.

The first one pictured (excuse the awful pic, this was in our last-but-one home and the lamp shade is currently packed away awaiting restoration so I can't take a better one!) was actually gifted to us by an eBay seller we met when we travelled to London to collect a couple of other purchases from her. She recognised our love of Art Nouveau and asked us to accept the lamp - which admittedly had suffered some damage - as a gift!!!

Coincidentally to your story M3D, the second lamp (again won at auction) was delivered to our house by the seller, a district nurse who also happened to be visiting our neighbourhood a couple of days post auction and offered to drop it round!

Just goes to show there are still some lovely people about!

• User
    8 years ago

HA! I was scrolling w/o reading and thought "that looks JUST like MY lamp!" Oh, because it IS my lamp! :D Look forward to seeing what your doggie lamp looks like - which I'm sure will be fab since everything you do is fab!!

I have a few lamps in storage. One was my paternal grandparents', I really need to see if a cousin would like to own it so that it's seen and used.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's so nice to 'meet' other lamp lovers!

Patty, I went through a Boulliotte lamp phase several years ago and bought some beauties from eBay. I have 2 Chapman ones, some Stiffel, and many others - something about that style just draws me in. I love ones with black shades.

Here's a not-so-old one on eBay now in a silver color - Pretty!

Ingrid, there are some wonderful buys out on eBay; it's a bit addictive. I don't go into local stores any more, unless I need to...say, order a lamp shade, as I am spoiled by the variety and great prices on eBay and CL.

Raphaella, I so enjoyed my trip to the UK in the 90s. I love 'old things' and the buildings that we saw are MUCH older than ours in the USA. I've never seen a shade like on your first lamp above, and how incredible that it was a GIFT!

I've met some wonderful people through Craigslist. One was the daughter of a waitress that my late Mum and Dad used to see every Sunday when they had breakfast at the 'Magic Muffin'. Mum loved to knit baby sweaters and when she found out that the waitress was pregnant, she made one for the baby. Many years later, I was making a CL purchase and went to the seller's home, where long story short, we got talking (a lot), and this young woman was the older sister of that BABY!

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

My3dogs, you have excellent taste and know how to score and score big. As you know from my whining our CL is absolutely horrendous. I am a lamp lover too and oh how I long for your HH lamps. They are TDF! Now I guess I will have to haunt eBay for something new and exciting. I wish I had a huge climate controlled storage area so I had room for more goodies.

• patty Vinson
    8 years ago

Dogs, love the one you posted but it's made of resin, and I hate the stuff. I only have one lamp made of 'that stuff'. I did see some others that were really nice. Thank you. ;)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I saw that, Patty, and you're right; I avoid that stuff, too. It's a pretty lamp for someone, though. There are some nice ginger jar lamps out there. I liked this one last fall, and now it's bidding starting point is $30 less than it was then! The shade isn't included, but I'd change it anyway. Fall is my favorite season, so I think it would great at that time of year. It's HERE, made it Italy.

Check out this one by Wildwood at $54.99! Shipping is quite high, but a new Wildwood lamp would be hundreds. It's HERE.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nosoccermom - Yikes! I always look at 'All' for a category on CL. My brass desk lamp was listed under Appliances, and I never would have gone there to find a lamp.

Here's a beauty on my CL (Maine) so we all have stuff to sift through! All yours for $35.00, shade included!.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Need to pass on this one :)

Also, it's strange, but my CL has usually really good things for very reasonable prices, except lamps. Unless, of course, I have wrong ideas of what lamps should cost.

• User
    8 years ago

Gorgeous lamps! Those blue and white ones are stunning and I covet them!

Our CL lamp selection is generally crap but you've inspired me to look more often -- just in case a winner appears!

• juddgirl2
    8 years ago

Love that brass lamp - what a great deal!

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Lucky you! Love the blue and white lamps. I understand how you feel about lamps. I refuse to get rid of my 30yr old brass Stifle Lamps. They are so much better looking than the stuff that I see out in the stores today.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm so glad others are checking around CL and eBay for lamps. K Sissy, you're right - our vintage Stiffels, and often vintage any brand is usually quality. I've enjoyed the brass one on my PC armoire the past two nights and I am just thrilled with the looks and the quality, and the low price makes it even better.

I hesitate to show this, but I bought the last one I showed a link to on eBay yesterday, after making an offer of 25% LESS than she was asking. I expected it to be rejected, but my next email was that the lamp was mine!I love the color orange, and combined with navy blue, and that I couldn't see this lamp anywhere else, well... :-)

Don't be afraid to make an offer if that is an option on eBay.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Beautiful!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    8 years ago

Have I ever seen a my3dogs find I didn't admire? Nope. Re. Lamps, where do you find your shades? Shades are NO bargain......nice ones like the one on Allison's dog lamp. Cheap looking drum shades are everywhere.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Martin_gw, Thank-you! You're right, most shades aren't inexpensive.

I have a stash of shades here that can go on some of these finds. I've also found shades on eBay - they have new ones there, too. I am fortunate to have two lighting stores near me that have a good shade selection, although nothing like it used to be. I have bought frames and made my own at times, too.

• User
    8 years ago

I shop a locally owned lamp and linen store for my shades. We had two decent shade shops until recently. She's also the one that makes things into lamps for me - like the TV dog lamp. I've also bought a couple of lamps from her found objects.

The lining in the pair of lamps on our sofa table recently rotted. Blame it on light bulb heat, although I changed to warm white LED bulbs over a year ago. They lasted 9 years, so I got my monies worth. She priced having them relined, but the local lady retired. With shipping both ways, it was less to order new shades... still waiting on them to come in. But I'll keep the old shades since there is nothing wrong with the exterior fabric. Maybe one day there will be someone close by that relines.

• patty Vinson
    8 years ago

Such beautiful lamps! I just remembered I have a 'shiny' brass ginger jar lamp out in the garage that's very heavy that I haven't used for 7 years. I purchased it in an antique shop back in SD, and was supposedly made in England, but have never checked for markings. I would love to give it away, but feel its 'too good' for goodwill if there is such a thing, so it's still hanging out in the garage. And I don't want to deal with CL and the crazies it may invite.

• cat_mom
    8 years ago

What fabulous finds!!!

• starnold
    8 years ago

Thanks M-3-D what a fun posting! Always wanted to make my own lamps and now I'm inspired to give it a try!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's really very easy, starnold, and if you haven't done any lamp wiring before, they sell kits at Lowe's that have all the parts. I have boxes in my my basement of lamp parts that I've kept when I altered ones in the past, and usually have what I need right there.

Patty - take a pic of your shiny brass lamp and show it to us! I'm very lucky; I have never had a bad CL experience, with a seller or buyer.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    8 years ago

I love lamps but don't have the knack of knowing what lamps go with what décor. We have a great consignment shop here with tons of lamps. I am in the market for a few new ones. Are there in in this link that appeal to you lamp experts?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/fud/5512235595.html

• PRO
    Divine Interiors
    8 years ago

I feel safe among other lamp lovers as so am I. These are my favorites and each time I say no more

• PRO
    Divine Interiors
    8 years ago

• PRO
    Divine Interiors
    8 years ago

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rory, In your link, I like the very first one IF it's real wood, and the third from last, but I'd want to change the shades on each of them. Most if all of them are new, and I like vintage or antique if I can get what I want.

If you'd like to post pictures of rooms that you need lamps for, we can make suggestions!

• User
    8 years ago

I agree w/my3dogs. I go for old vs new, but haven't seen your rooms.