Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurel_zito

Opinions of Joyfulness: disease issue or fungal?

Laurel Zito
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I got Joyfulness as a Rogue Valley own roots. This rose was recommended by the Santa Rosa rose club as a good rose for my area. The flowers are supposed to change color in the bloom cycle. But when she came she had most of her lower leaves removed. I think this may have been due to a fungal. I sprayed her when I got her and twice more but this strange discoloration is growing and there is no sign of any new leaves to replace these leaves so I can't take them off. I assume Joyfulness must be a fungal nightmare. I went on HMF, but no one had any ideas on the fungal issue. Is this a fungal or a leaf burn? Is there a special fungicide that would be best to target this disease. I don't want to over spray or spray with something that won't work on this issue. It retrospect I wish I had not gotten this one. There are so many other nicer ones. Here I am bashing the rose and don't mean to, but none of the other eight rose from Rogue Valley have this discoloration. I should have gotten Just Joey or Apricot Candy. I actually wanted Medallion, but they could not get that one for me.

Comments (16)

• jacqueline9CA
    8 years ago

Would love to see a photo - meanwhile, I would STOP spraying it, in case that is the problem. Where, approximately, are you? Is it in a pot, or in the ground? If it is in the ground, how long has it been there? If in a pot, make sure the pot is draining OK. If the pot is draining, or if it is in the ground, make sure it has enough water.

Then post a pic on here and someone will be able to tell you. Very important that we know where you are gardening.

Jackie

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    8 years ago

I think it's way too early to consider this plant a problem. It needs to rest a while before putting out new growth and start blooming. It's still a baby! If it was recommended for your area, then I would definitely give it time, quit spraying it, and let it do its thing. Might take three years before you get a decent plant going and can form a good opinion.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't know how to add the zones on my profile, since Houzz took over the situation, but I am in zone 9 near Santa Rosa. As I mentioned the santa rosa society and the photo did post finally, but I had to make it half size. Updated I made a mistake, it was on the Marin County rose list not the Santa Rosa one, but both are in my area climate zone, although Marin is cooler.

http://www.marinrose.org/apricotroses.html

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, can hope it out grows this, but can anyone ID this as a particular fungal or a leaf burn? It had perfect leaves when it came, but this new issue just showed up yesterday. I have had since April 9.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Just seen your pic... Does not look like any rose fungus I've ever seen...Maybe someone else can ID your problem...

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    8 years ago

I would leave it alone and not spray. Could be leaf burn.

Laurel Zito thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Its in a pot because I don't have the soil prepped yet. The soil is very hard to deal with. Maybe I should flush out of water? It should be able to stay in this pot for a long time.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am now seeing some signs of new leaves on Joyfulness. I think it was the chemical fertilizer such as osmocote that they put on the roses. The instructions say, no chemical fertilizers for one year, but each one had these little blue green tiny balls, that I take to be fertilizer. But, it was the only rose to have leaf burn out of the eight or so I ordered, due to the fertilizer. I just assume Joyfulness is prone to burn or did it more fertilizer then the others?

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    8 years ago

Those tiny balls would be slow release fertiliser, and used in appropriate quantities, should not cause fertiliser burn.

I think when the above posters mentioned burn, they were talking spray burn, not fertiliser burn. I also think it is way, way too soon to be talking about what this rose is "prone to". The advice you've been given is good, try to stop worrying about it - although I know that sometimes, when I've been thwarted I find myself, 'finding' problems where none really exist, basically because the very existence of the substitute reminds me that it's not what I wanted! If you think that might, possibly, a tiny bit, perhaps be happening - maybe find some place when your eye won't fall on it so often? (As long as it still gets watered of course!)

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No, I picked the substitute for Medallion myself, I was not randomly assigned her. Medallion I used to have, and it was such a huge rose, I think it would be great on own roots. I went into woolworth nursery in the san jose area, and they had like 50 Medallions at a very low price, they were clearing them out and its just an awesome rose. I don't have it, because I moved after that. Woolworth nursery went out of business right after that and there was no internet, I and drove myself crazy driving around san jose trying to find it later on.

• User
    8 years ago

Carefully cut off those leaves affected. Do not touch any other growth. Disinfect your scissors.

Are you new to roses? Don't panic. Most will outgrow bad foliage. If 'Joyfulness' has bad foliage most of the year, you will have a good reason to replace it after giving it that time. I give new roses 3 years at least. Right now my 'Joyfulness' is defoliated. Our not-quite-rain conditions have negatively affected a lot of my roses. When our humidity lowers they'll be great again.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No, I am an old hat to roses. I would cut the leaves off, but since it has so few leaves and since its "own roots" I can't cut them off. Own roots can't actually be pruned due to they have so few leaves until they are more like two years old. But, I am new to own roots roses. I was more upset that it also refused to show signs of life, but now its starting to get a new leaf.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Joyfulness turned out pretty good. It seems to over come the leaf burn, but I had to move to the shade.

• Laurel Zito
    7 years ago

I have some more shots of another bloom. It is really amazing. It looks different from the first bloom above.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Wow! So much fun to see her develop.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm