Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darien_wildstein

Starting a new garden

Daria Wild
7 years ago

Hello! I am starting a new garden bed. Yesterday I used a pitchfork to dig out the sod and weeds growing in the area. I shook off as much soil as possible. I plan to mix in an organic soil enhancer mix. As I was working my neighbor (who used to be a landscaper so he is knowledgable) came over and told me I was doing the wrong thing. That digging out the weeds and grass will not work. He said the best option is to spray roundup. Otherwise the weeds will immediately come back! I felt I was digging them up by the roots, and I do expect a few weeds to return which I can pull out...but he said I am crazy for doing it this way. Is this true? I really don't want to use Roundup. I plan on planting some blueberry bushes down the hill from the garden, and hate the idea of using a chemical like this. I have also head of covering the weeds with newspaper or whatever, but I honestly don't want to wait that long to get started planting! Can't I just dig up the weeds, plant flowers and top it off with mulch?

Thanks!

Comments (2)