Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sallar0920

Help with Dancing Queen placement please

I received my hostas from Naylor Creek yesterday. Dancing Queen, Dawn's Early Light and Fire Island. All are yellow hostas, now the dilemma. How much sun do you give your Dancing Queen to keep it yellow. I'm in central Illinois, so hot summer afternoons. These hostas are very green right now, disappointed that they aren't yellow, and wondering if they don't get enough sun will they remain green. I sure could use some advise on this so my $50 isn't wasted. Thanks for your help.

Comments (10)

• mkpearse (MI z6a)
    7 years ago

I got my Dancing Queen from Naylor last year and it came green as well. This year it's unfurling very yellow. I had two eyes so I planted one in the sun and one in the shade. Both are coming up yellow but I'm not sure if the one in shade is going to stay yellow. I will see as the season progresses

• koffman99
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My DQ gets about 2 hours morning sun and about an hours worth of late afternoon sun. It emerged bright yellow this year, and although it is still yellow throughout most of the year it never quite re-captures the same yellow as when it first emerges. It may have different results with more sunlight exposure than I am giving mine, but with the heat and humidity produced by the southern summer I am reluctant to try it.

I believe Naylor Creeks Hosta are probably from greenhouses and not field grown. Which may explain why the yellows you received are all green. I would think with just a few hours of sunlight a day (mostly morning sun) you should start to see them change slowly to yellow. I wouldn't just throw them out into bright mid-day sun just because I wanted the colors to change.

When you get them planted please show us some pics, nice Hostas by the way. Gary and Jack at Naylor Creek are some good dudes.

• don_in_colorado
    7 years ago

Great order! I have the perfect spot for that Dancing Queen. Right behind and to the left of Dick Ward in my backyard : )

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    7 years ago

I don't believe any of these will stay yellow all summer. They start out bright yellow in the spring and end up more green later in the summer. The trick is you also need to get some that start out green in the spring and end up yellow in the summer. That way you always have something yellow in the garden. City Lights does this for me but I am sure there are others too.

Also, the first season I had Dancing Queen, I had it in too much sun and it burned so I would keep it out of the hot sun.

• Sally (Central Illinois)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone. Lots of good information. Gary and Jack are very nice to work with, I've only had good results with them. and I just finished planting one of the 2 DQ's they sent me. It's in high canopy dappled sun...keep my fingers crossed. I'll get a picture later....I'm too tired to go back out and get it...lots of hosta moving and planting today :)

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    7 years ago

Mine starts yellow and stays yellow all year. It's in full all day sun......

• bragu_DSM 5
    7 years ago

i like to plant mine adjacent to a plant with a reverse color scheme ...

• beverlymnz4
    7 years ago

I had mine in full sun last 2 years. I gave it extra water regularly to help avoid burn. By mid summer its a washed out green - not yellow and not so pretty IMO. I recommend part sun. I like green well enough and as someone suggested, put it next to another plant or hosta that has its show later in the year.

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    7 years ago

Mine is also in full sun for the most part, but even at that tends to green up more towards summers end. Also, a cold Spring has affected the color. I moved it last year to provide more room for growth. But, It is one of my favorites so I purchased another one. You're going to love it.