Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Shower Autopsy: Warning! Graphic!

Except for the ponding water on the floor and the big fat caulk lines at the floor plane changes, this shower doesn't look too bad.

But then there's the bench edge detail.

Dr. Sledgehammer makes a very delicate incision at the bench, exposing the plywood top. That's Redguard waterproofing, not blood.

The smell of the saturated plywood bench bottom and moldy Wolmanized framing, in combination with the delicately aged shower water ponded behind the bench is almost enough to make Dr. Sledgehammer's assistant, Dr. Joe, lose his breakfast sandwich. Be grateful computers don't have scratch-n'-sniff pictures, because Dr. Joe really likes to share.

After the bench is bagged, Dr. Sledgehammer continues his nuanced excision at the western floor/wall. For some reason, maybe the heat and his profuse sweating even in the air conditioning, the height of the pictured gray shower liner drives Dr. Joe into a fit of maniacal laughter and it takes him several minutes to compose himself. How very unprofessional, especially when his client hears and he has to explain.

With the mud base penetrated, the gray liner is hidden by more stinky shower water. Fortunately, this quickly evacuates when Dr. Sledgehammer releases the mud base that has been clogging the drain weep holes for the last two years.

Dr. Sledgehammer instructs his smaller protege, Dr. Claw Hammer, to expose the curb detail. Worrying about screws penetrating the liner on the flat seems silly when the liner doesn't cover the curb completely.

On the northern wall, Dr. Rotozip, utilizing his diamond saw attachment and shop vac, relieve the grout line several tiles up. Dr. Sledgehammer taps off the tile, revealing the migrating damp, pictured as gray colored thinset here.

Here is the opposite side of the same showerhead wall.

The showerhead wall is on the right, the western wall is on the left. Go figure. At least the previous installer didn't cut the corners of the liner.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The liner on the showerhead wall is peeled back. You were warned. Surprisingly, the wood feels sound, although highly discolored.

The pre-slope is removed, exposing the plywood subfloor.

Ten bags and 5 hours.

Buy stock in this company. Tore a hole or two, but never spilled a speck. They're over a buck a bag and I'd pay three times that for the time they save.

Schluter school tomorrow morning at 7:30 a.m. at my local tile store.

• MongoCT
    7 years ago

When anyone asks why I hang out on this forum, the shower you are working on is the reason.

Better your nose than mine, Joe!

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked MongoCT
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

C'mon Mongo, I want more than that please. Should I keep the walls with the RedGuard and cement board or am I nuts for not demoing the whole thing? The poor homeowner has paid 12K for this thing; I'm trying to keep her costs down.

• jakkom
    7 years ago

Until Joe and a few other tile pros who hang around here finally clone themselves, thus eliminating the many awful installers in the industry, stories like this make me glad we decided on a solid surface showerbase. Tile is beautiful but a bad install is an expensive repair waiting to happen.

Reminds me of the time I kept having problems with my new DW, until finally the third repairman who came actually knew what he was doing. "Your detergent/rinse unit was wired backwards," he told us. Thank goodness appliances have a warranty!

If we could only be so lucky to have them on plumbing and electrical, LOL!

Many thanks for the educational photos. Ugh, I can just imagine the smells......

• H B
    7 years ago

Jakkom -- ditto!!!! We're going with a cast iron Kohler base. Terrified to tile it.

• MongoCT
    7 years ago

"C'mon Mongo, I want more than that please. Should I keep the walls with
    the RedGuard and cement board or am I nuts for not demoing the whole
    thing?"

Sorry about that, I didn't know you were looking for feedback.

When I see a failure like that I prefer to demo everything and start anew. It does depend on the reason for failure though. For crappy work, I prefer to demo. If the leak is a result of some other fault, then I can see merit in making a partial repair.

Your wall studs look okay once you get above the pan, so in your judgement if the walls are fine you can probably save them.

The photo of the northern wall with the tile popped of shows what appear to be uncompressed thinset ridges. If the tiles popped off easily, that might be cause for concern.

However, if I know going in that I'm going to try to save the wall tile, I'll try to avoid cutting the existing tile backer board right along the bottom edge of a course of wall tile. If the backer gets demo'd right to a grout line and new backer gets filled in to that spot, there will be a grout line right over a seam in the backer board. The grout on that line may be more prone to cracking.

What a mess. Good luck with it!

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked MongoCT
  • mark_rachel
    7 years ago

You should be a comedian on the side Joe! Though this is everyone's nightmare! We just had our shower installed using a schulter system. Fingers crossed!! Waiting on the glass to be installed.

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked mark_rachel
  • mark_rachel
    7 years ago

What issues were they having to indicate a problem?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"What issues were they having to indicate a problem?"

Ponding water. Stink. Cracked tile. No returned phone calls from original contractor.

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    7 years ago

Hi Joe! When was the original tile job done?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

A couple years ago.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

"No returned phone calls from original contractor"

same thing happened to us!!

interesting.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just spoke to the original contractor. He claims he tried to arrange a do-over and the homeowner wouldn't let him back in. She has told me she didn't want him back, so his story makes sense.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH