Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Perplexed about 'Bouquet Tout Fait'

I was given cuttings of this some years ago and obtained two plants of it which have grown very satisfactorily in less than perfect conditions. But I'm beginning to wonder if I don't have an imposter....rather a widely distributed one.

In search of light I took a look at HMF. I found my rose: it's the one photographed by Billy Teabag at Mottisfont in this picture: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.160294. But there's another rose shown in the photos for 'Bouquet Tout Fait', which is shown here: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.78268. The pink tints of this rose, the number of petals, and the form, are all wrong for my rose.

I wonder actually whether my fresh white rose with the pale yellow buds is even a Noisette; to my eyes it could be a Wichuriana rambler, though I don't know which. I took a look at 'White New Dawn', and there's a resemblance, but WND's form isn't right and it looks a bit too full. I don't grow it and have never seen it. I don't detect much scent from my rose, but my nose doesn't seem to be working well lately. Perhaps a slight sweet Tea fragrance.

Ideas?

Comments (11)

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    7 years ago

H'mm, interesting. Mine came from Trevor White. I'll keep an eye out for when it blooms. The photo on his site looks like the Mottisfont ones.

• User
    7 years ago

The plant I have came from Vintage and they listed Huntington Botanic Garden as their source. Mine looks more like the pink-tinted ones in Robert Neil Rippetoe's photos on HMF, but it is only pinkish in some weathers/conditions; right now the blooms are quite white, after a couple of 100 F days in a row, as they are in the Gregg Lowery photo on p. 35 in Noisette Roses, 19th Century Charleston's Gift to the World. My plant has nothing of Wichurana about it -- definitely on the Noisette side, and the scent is spicey-musky, not like tea.

I can see what you are saying, Melissa -- those Mottisfont blooms do look different -- petals that substantially curl under, probably bigger flowers? The photo on Trevor White's site doesn't look like mine at all, either, and as fduk says, looks more like the Mottisfont one -- I wonder what was the source of the plant Trevor White is selling?

Here's photos of blooms on mine. In July 2013, young plant still in pot:

Photo taken just now. Plant two years in ground, just put out it first substantial climbing cane this spring.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The photo of 'Bouquet Tout Fait' offered by La Roseraie Du Désert looks more like mine also: Bouquet Tout Fait (scroll down and click on name). Wondering who the imposter -- or "alternate" :-) -- is and how far it is spread?

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Fduk and catspa, thanks for your comments. They tend to support my idea that there's an impostor abroad. Good to know that the real thing (as I suspect it is) is available in Europe, from Roseraie du Desert.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

altorama's post here offers a possible ID for my 'Bouquet Tout Fait', namely, 'Glenn Dale'. Would like to hear from anyone who has thoughts about this.

7 years ago

Maybe? I'm not experienced enough to be generally confident about ids unless it's something like GdF which is distinctive.

Does yours rebloom? Glenn Dale is as far as I can tell, a once bloomer.

The first and second lot of buds on it got munched, so I'm waiting on the sole survivor to open right now. It's taken off like a wichuraiana might, it has four 4ft canes from bare root this winter. Grafted, of course.

That long peduncle doesn't scream noisette to me, but see above re my inexperience!

I'll try to get some better pictures tonight.

Original Author
    7 years ago

fduk_gw, thanks for the photos. I don't recall seeing any rebloom on my rose, but this is a chancy characteristic in my garden since I don't water, and even reblooming roses don't reflower if it doesn't rain. It may be a while before I get out to my plant, as currently it's blazing weather and this rose in fullest sun. I'll check against your photo once the weather moderates, though that could not be until September. It would be nice to be able to compare my rose, your rose, and 'Glenn Dale'. By the way, one characteristic of my rose was a cherry pink base to the stamens, styles also pinkish.

• User
    7 years ago

Here's a photo of my newly-arrived (earlier this month) 'Bouquet tout fait', a lovely and fragrant gift from a friend via Roses Unlimited, potted up to a 3-gallon pot. I think it has a good wafting fragrance, and definitely looks and smells like a true Noisette.

Virginia

• altorama Ray
    7 years ago

I grow Glenn Dale, if anyone wants I can get some pictures of the foliage-also I think I put up photos of the buds on HMF.

7 years ago

Mine is loaded with buds this year (well, loaded for a year old rose) so I should have some photos soon. I like it, what ever it is but am no more decided about the Glenn Dales hypothesis. I did get a couple of late blooms last year but that proves nothing. What ever it is, it is healthy and has dark foliage.