Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Skip Laurel source

poaky1
7 years ago

I watched a show on TV this past weekend and they had a shrub called "Skip Laurel" that they had used to make a nice landscape rehab project. This is a zone 6 shrub that is evergreen and pretty much "carefree" once established. I was wondering if there is a known source for this shrub. It is an evergreen shrub for zone 6 and warmer. It has smallish white flowers. The foliage being evergreen is what made me want to have it. Poaky1

Comments (8)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

This is a very common plant I should have thought a quick Google would find sources. Look for Prunus laurocerasus 'Schipkaensis'.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Floral I did a search already, I emailed 1 source, and haven't gotten a reply yet, but, in the US this shrub isn't very common as far as I can see here after searching on the internet. I haven't ever heard of it until the TV show on this past weekend. IT was a evergreen zone 6 hardy shrub, I was like wow why have I NEVER HEARD of this shrub before? I wish I would've heard of it years ago.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

I am surprised. I have read lots of mentions of it on these forums. You could try Otto Luyken, which is quite similar. These people list Skip. I don't know if they are reputable. Monrovia website

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

They are ubiquitous here in Northern VA. Come on down here. Even some Lowes and Home Depot carry them and certainly every good nursery.

I have seen some winter dieback in sun in vortex years in 7a. Keep well watered and give some winter shade.

If it's truly a zone 6 shrub, you should see them in your neighborhoods. Have you?

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No Dave, if I have I didn't know what they were, and didn't know they existed back then. I have checked all the Big box stores here. Floral, Monrovia is very reputable, their plants are all over nurseries here, but usually are more expensive. Maybe as Dave said they may not be hardy here. I'll check Monrovia anyway. I used yahoo search, but, sometimes it's good to ask other people also for rarer (as I thought it was) plants. Thanks all.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I may get over Virginia way this summer, a friend and I want to see Virginia beach, and I wanna see the Compton's oak in Williamsburg, Va also. It's a big MAYBE, though. If she can get off the days from work, and I don't want to go alone. I think it would be easier with help driving, etc. and not to mention safer. It is likely a 10 hour or more drive from my place to the area we want to be in.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

JUst wanna mention, I tried Monrovia, and the shrub is not available in my state. It is listed as $55.00 on Monrovia's site, with the "not in your state" added. But, it also says zone 6. The house that the TV show had planted the shrubs in front of seemed to be a northern area, but, I don't remember them saying which state. It was a large Victorian house, that's all I remember seeing. And really nobody does a follow up to see if the plants lived through the winter. I'll keep investigating, and I'll eventually find out if the shrub is more zone 6b-7a, than 6a. Being a shrub, it could be protected in winter, if I really want it. Wrap it up a bit, add christmas lights (non LED) I will not be using for a long hedge though.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022