Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_terrilynn

Shorts! What you wear for body type list

just_terrilynn
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Shorts are almost as annoying to buy as swimsuits. So I thought I would start this post to share what we buy and why...according to body type. The goal here is to help others so post a picture please.

My body type...short waisted, no hips, somewhat skinny legs, have grown a tad thicker in waist since menopause.

Big problem finding shorts. I normally just wear black compression mid length Road Runner shorts bought two sizes larger so they glide without clinging. This way the legs aren't humongous (another problem) and the waist is stretchy (another problem) and there is no built in hip cut as I need a straight cut. I've gone so far as to use permanent black marker on the R emblem so I can go casually smart with the right shirt. But sheesh, I need more variety.

Today after much online looking I found these. I sure hope they work as they are an inch or 2 shorter than my norm. You can buy them in slim and the top is expandable. I'll let you know if they work.

Comments (61)

• cattyles
    7 years ago

I like the board shorts above because they don't have pockets. I know most people want pockets but I dislike them. To me, they just add bulk right where I don't need it.

I like the sound of the Vanderbilt shorts, grapefruit.

just_terrilynn thanked cattyles
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree Cattyles! On me the extra bulk is not good. I can do pockets if they are flat and more in the front. Some have pockets that sort of gap on the sides...hate those.

Wish Grapefruit would post a picture of the GV shorts she speaks of. I forgot about that brand, I used to wear only GV pants in the eighties , they were perfect for my body shape.

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

just, I can relate although I have the total opposite issue -- relatively small waist and big thighs. Saddlebags, if you will. Anything that I can squeeze my thighs into is enormous around the waist. And with short fat legs (and elephant knees, thank you, since I turned 50), shorts are just never a good look for me. I did buy chino relaxed-fit shorts from Eddie Bauer a few years ago and they weren't completely horrible, so I went ahead and bought about 5 pairs so I'd have them forever. I think they're an 8" or 10" inseam. I haven't dared to try them on yet this year, but basically I save them for emergencies (like it's too hot to wear anything else, or I'm bike riding or something). Capris are bad for me too. I mostly stick to casual skirts and dresses in the summer, with the length right around my knee or just above.

just_terrilynn thanked Sueb20
  • User
    7 years ago

Those shorts seem to be everywhere. Longer leg, cuffed. Bermudas are in.

just_terrilynn thanked User
  • deegw
    7 years ago

Jen, I often wear capri skorts for exercising instead of shorts. I am super pale. Not a lovely pale, more like a shocking death warmed over pale. I just feel more comfortable covered up.

When I wear a capri skort I always get compliments from other women or they stop me to find out where to buy them. So, I think they must look okay.

Capri skort at Kohls

just_terrilynn thanked deegw
  • User
    7 years ago

Love those capris!

And I'm going to order! I got a few new pairs of shorts and tennis skorts at Kohls for this summer. Love their sales, and I have a 30% coupon code.

It's bbq30

• cattyles
    7 years ago

sueb, at least you are woman shaped! Women are (supposedly) supposed to have hips and thighs as long as the waist is smaller. I feel like a barrel. Not a big barrel, but still, a barrel. Sigh

• cattyles
    7 years ago

I like the looks of these. They have pockets but they look flat and not at all bulky. Also, they don't have those flaps on the back pockets, which I don't understand. Do people really tuck a shirt into casual, khaki shorts?

http://www.zappos.com/jag-jeans-somerset-relaxed-fit-shorts-in-bay-twill-hazelnut

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes Sue, you may not feel like it but you are lucky.

So Cattyles, since we are both straight little barrels you probably have the same problem with swim suits "tankini's" fitting too snug across the middle? I finally found one on Venus. I won't even tell you what size I went up to but something like four sizes up from my regular. However, the Siren halter tankini worked as its snug under the breast with fabric loosely flowing from that, but not so much that it makes you look bigger. And, being a halter it can be adjusted. I just need to take the cups out as I don't want to look any bigger there either.

• texanjana
    7 years ago

I am tall and slim with a small waist and larger hips and thighs. I wear longer shorts to cover most of my thigh. My favorites are these by Jag, I have them in several colors. http://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/jag-jeans-ainsley-slim-bermuda-shorts-regular-petite/3943292?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=NILE

just_terrilynn thanked texanjana
  • cattyles
    7 years ago

Yes, sounds like we are body doubles, justerrilynn! I haven't looked at swim suits in ages. I'm just not brave enough. But I don't mind what size I end up wearing, I care about comfort and smooth lines, no bulges.

• 4kids4us
    7 years ago

I've mostly given up on shorts. I wear them sometimes, but I much prefer skorts these days. I have decent legs - athletic thighs that I'd prefer to be more slender but I do have defined quadriceps, but my inner thighs are a little too flabby for my taste. I have a wide butt/hips and thin calves, so I feel a little out of proportion. Shorts accentuate my big butt and now that many places sell skorts, they are much more flatter, depending on the cut. They need to be flat front (no tie at the waist and no pockets please!). Here is an example of what I typically wear - I have this skort and love it. It's the perfect length for my age (48) Not too short, covers my flabby inner thighs but shows off my nice lower thighs and knees. I have several Athleta skorts. I wear them for running too, but buy the ones for exercise (they are shorter and made from different fabric).

Athleta Everyday Skort

just_terrilynn thanked 4kids4us
  • hhireno
    7 years ago

I won't describe my figure flaws, you can just imagine that I resemble Kate Middleton (bwahahaa), I'll just say I wear skorts from Macy's (Karen Scott brand). If you look them up, they are longer on me than the models, like just above my knee. Perhaps because my legs are a tad shorter than the model. My friends were surprised to find out they're skorts and not just a skirt. I wanted plain skirts but they were either too teenager or too office worker.

If I didn't already have a ridiculous amount of skorts, I'd check out that Athleta one. I like the look of that.

For the times I really need shorts, I have another Karen Scott brand pull on knit short (I consider them gym shorts). I wear those when biking or at walking. They do have pockets, which are a necessity for allergy sufferer me.

I like the look of the skirted capris but I can't stand anything clinging to my short, meaty bones. What shoes do you wear with those? Sneakers? Sandals?

just_terrilynn thanked hhireno
  • indygo
    7 years ago

I've always had heavy thighs--inner and outer--and even wide knees. Very self-conscious of that, so I wear linen skirts and sundresses and capris in the summer. Can't remember the last time I wore shorts!

just_terrilynn thanked indygo
  • indygo
    7 years ago

I like that Athleta short! Thanks for the link, 4kids.

just_terrilynn thanked indygo
  • cattyles
    7 years ago

4kids, that skort is cute! What do you wear on top? Tanks and tees?

• aok27502
    7 years ago

I have runner's legs, so I'm happy to wear shorts. Unfortunately I also have the figure of a 12 year old boy. Somewhat telephone pole shaped. So none of the women's fit me, because I don't have the waist-to-hip ratio. I prefer something like khakis, with a fly front and pockets. Unfortunately they don't sell those in the 12 year old boy section.

And why oh why does everything have cuffs? I looked last year at Kohls, I think, and every. single. pair. had cuffs. I don't like the extra bulk. I really need some new shorts!

just_terrilynn thanked aok27502
  • Funkyart
    7 years ago

I also really like the Karen Scott shorts. They are inexpensive, fit well and wash well--but they are casual. That works for me. I only wear shorts when working in the yard or exercising.

just_terrilynn thanked Funkyart
  • grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

Texanjana......I have those Jag shorts. They are almost like the Gloria Vanderbilt ones form Kohls. The GV ones will be Capri length on some folks. They fall just above my knees. I wear a 4 in the Jag brand but a 6 in the GV.

just_terrilynn thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • tinam61
    7 years ago

I like shorts that are a couple of inches or so above the knee. Longish and a straight cut - not flared.

just_terrilynn thanked tinam61
  • Faron79
    7 years ago

Well......dangerous waters here, maybe, for Faron/Mr. Blackwell!!!

I don't know WHY!!!!! I just don't like the "just above knee" shorts on most Women! I think the "mid-thigh" lengths look better on most all Ladies. To ME, covering-up a "fuller leg" with a "longer short" is just ridiculous, & looks worse IMO.

Now, if I could banish those god-awful mid-shin basketball "shorts". They're so damn ugly I could scream!!

Faron

just_terrilynn thanked Faron79
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Good thing I'll not be making it up your way any time soon, Faron! Me and my knee-length shorts! :)

Believe me...much better to see fabric than the "cottage cheese" underneath! I have more cottage cheese than Sam Breakstone!

just_terrilynn thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • amykath
    7 years ago

I am short and have gained a few (well more than a few pounds). I find the shorts that look best on me are the type that flare out a bit instead of straight. I am curvy so the straight perfectly flat front look terrible on me.

My favorite pair are some Old Navy used to sell many years ago. I just found these on Ebay. There are zero shorts out there that I can comfortably wear that do not look terrible on me.

I like the 5" inseam.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Timely thread. I usually stick with Bermuda length and have several from Loft. I had to take them to the tailor to remove the extra roll up and turn it into a sewn down cuff.I have been looking around and have noticed women older and less fit wear shorts above their knees. And, they look perfectly fine.

I stopped in at Kohl's and bought 3 pairs of cuffed shorts that are a few inches above my knees. They have a soft waistband that is nice. On sale for 19.99.

just_terrilynn thanked eld6161
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

My favorite shorts are an ancient pair of Horny Toad (now known as Toad and Co.) cotton khaki shorts that still look great. They are mid-thigh length which is a good length for me. I'm tall and thin with a long torso from the waist down & a small waist. I hate anything with low-rise so it's hard to find.

I have a pair of Kuhl's skorts I love and also have a couple from Athleta or Title 9, can't remember, which that I like.

just_terrilynn thanked OutsidePlaying
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree with Faron , but only if it's in your comfort zone. For the curvy gals who "own" their curves one doesn't necessarily need to go longer. Sometimes very long and baggy makes one look bigger. However, if you own it you can go short. To me though, I like the slim fits on curvy but just above the knee. The shorts in #2 and # 3 look great. I also like the shorts in #4 because she is owning it and looks very stylish.

• User
    7 years ago

She's a curvy girl, but I think she rocks these shorts because she appears to be pretty much leg-dimple-free. Lucky lady. I think these are a little too tight across the crotch, but otherwise she looks fab. I saw a young woman just the other day who was quite curvy and wearing short-shorts, and she too was rockin' 'em.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maybe not dimple free but nothing a little tanner can't help to hide a bit.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

I have a couple of pairs of the #1 style that justerrilynn posted. I don't wear capris and so had them shortened to just above the knee and am really happy with them. I got mine at Mark's Workwarehouse. They also had some really cute skorts that are a couple of inches above the knee.

just_terrilynn thanked blfenton
  • User
    7 years ago

Meh - tanner. I tried that approach in years past, but inevitably just ended up with slightly orange dimples instead of white ones. ;-)

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

I never wear shorts. I am probably built like Terri and Catty. I have nicely shaped legs but I am big around the middle and chesty to boot. I am most comfortable in capris with a rather loose fitting top so my chest is as concealed as possible.

just_terrilynn thanked Holly- Kay
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You know what's wierd when you get older? Right about the time you think you have suitable mature style figured out someone comes along and knocks it all out the door. For example, a few weeks ago I had an old friend come to visit, she is about to turn 59 and she totally rocked short shorts (around 4" inseam) with heels. I kid you not! Almost all women I have seen her age dressed like that sort of looked slutty. However, she pulled it off and pulled it off very well. Maybe it was because she didn't look like she was tring to hard. She just wore her hair tied back, a slumpy cotton shirt and skinny long necklace with the rest. Her legs are still very good though.

Who would have thought?

Edited: I think my friend may (or may not) have seen the artical from The Refinery which states... Why women over 40 Should wear short shorts.

This is her outfit, same as the artical but different color. Similar high sandal but take off an inch.

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

Thanks, people, I just ordered about 17 skorts from Zappos.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You are on a roll!

• cattyles
    7 years ago

Sueb, please review them for us after you get them!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

I also have the JAG shorts - they rest an inch or two above the knee on me. They are very comfy and slightly stretchy. I have them in black and khaki-colored. I have 3 pairs of JAG capris, too - black, white, and aqua.

Actually, the stretchy-ness was bad for me last summer as I gained some pounds but continued to wear the JAGs, which were clinging to my dimples for all to see. :( I've lost most of those pounds now though. Yay!

just_terrilynn thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

The mature lady bit finally reared it"s ugly head and bit. I went with my daughters and grandchildren to my daughter's swim club. The young lady asked if I am 62 or older. Well yes, yes I am and I was eligible for the senior rate. I felt deflated the rest of the day. I guess on the bright side this is the first time I've been asked if I am a senior but boy what an ego buster this was.

just_terrilynn thanked Holly- Kay
  • hhireno
    7 years ago

A few weeks after my birthday, we went to the movies and the clerk asked me are you seniors? I was shocked and said what's the age for that? He said 55. Whew! I said then one senior (my husband) and one regular. He said I'll give you both senior price. Thanks?

We walk away and my husband asks me did you not want the kid to know how old you are or did you forget? I had just turned 55! I forgot, I don't care what that kid thinks, he's already dead to me since he thought I might qualify. Now I think what the heck, if I can get a few bucks off why not ask the age limit.

just_terrilynn thanked hhireno
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I disagree...that #4 look that jterri posted is NOT attractive. Those shorts do not fit. They are way too tight. Camel toe is never a fashion "do". If the fabric has no stretch, there should be some "ease" to the fit so it moves with you.

just_terrilynn thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

Hhireno, your story reminds me of friends who loved getting in for senior prices. They would up their ages to whatever the senior age was.

It is confusing sometimes, what is considered a senior? Senior fare on the NYC subway? Movie tickets etc? Joining a senior center? All different!

just_terrilynn thanked eld6161
  • User
    7 years ago

Since I can't seem to go anywhere without seeing them on someone, just say no to booty shorts. Just. No. It matters not your age or fitness level. I don't want to see yo' butt cheeks or even that much of your leg. It's almost impossible not to notice.

• User
    7 years ago

Sueb, I share your pain. The barrels know not how we pears suffer.

I see so many cute legs this time of year. My legs aren't too bad, but they and my hips are my worst feature by far. I wear lots of casual skirts and sportsy-type dresses that cover my thighs and have the added bonus of making me look like I dressed up for the occasion.

I understand the grass is greener... but all you barrels out there, if I could have your boobs for just one day...You may think my thighs are womanly, but if you could see my lack of chest assets, you'd think differently.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't know...the young deserve a certain amount of freedom of expression. Although I have to say that I don't much enjoy the views when when a real thought to style wasn't taken into consideration. To me # 4 works on that gal. She looks comfortable in her skin, put together for a casual look and "rocks". Putting her in large billowing fabric from head to toe would not in my opinion do her youth and beauty justice.

I'm more offended by people who have bad hygiene and no sense of style while baring skin, be it male or female.

• User
    7 years ago

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there are plenty of other ways to express yourself while keeping certain body parts a little more covered. FWIW, I'm not saying anyone should walk around in a sack up to their necks. I've always felt this way, but more so after becoming a parent.

• Danahills
    7 years ago

I have had a knee replacement and that knee does not look like my regular knee, so no shorts for me. I wear whatever covers my knees.......

just_terrilynn thanked Danahills
  • User
    7 years ago

I maintain that the shorts on #4 are too tight. Had they fit better across the crotch - not pulled into "whiskers" and outlined the "nether region", they would have looked just fine. It's not the length, IMO - it's the pull of the fabric.

Booty shorts are another thing entirely. When your a$$ hangs out of your clothes, you don't leave the house. Not. Ever. That's just nasty - I don't care how young and lithe your body is. Have at least a modicum of decency and spare the world the sight of your butt cheeks, please.

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

OMG, I just tried on all the stuff I ordered from Zappos. I think I need a drink. Most were horrible. I am keeping one pair of Lucy shorts for exercising (or around the house, but otherwise not to be worn in public), a Toad & Co. skort that is very similar to one I already have from same brand, and a Toad & Co. dress that is literally the same as 3 others I have in different colors. (It's the Rosemary dress for anyone else looking -- it is a great dress for pear shapes!)

Here is what annoys me about clothes shopping these days -- I weigh the same as I weighed 5 years ago, but in the past 2 years my body shape has changed so that a lot of my clothes just don't fit. And shorts, which were never my best look, are just not happening any more.

lisad, I literally laughed out loud at the first line of your post!

• cattyles
    7 years ago

Darn! I was hoping you would have success.

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

Have to report back in -- I had also ordered the Jag Ainsley shorts that texanjana mentioned, from Amazon (Nordstrom didn't have my size). I got them in a Petite. Black. They arrived this morning. I am wearing them now! They fit PERFECTLY. And sooo comfortable. I immediately ordered a second pair. I don't even care if they look good or not because they fit like a glove (which never happens for me with bottoms -- almost always have to take in the waist because my bum is a whole different size from my waist) and are so comfy. They are long, almost to my knee, which probably makes me look even shorter than I am, but they hide everything I want to hide. ;)

I have seen Jag jeans in many stores and dismissed them just because pull-on jeans just seemed so...weird. Now I should probably try the jeans!?

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm back with the review of these Justice tween shorts. So, if you are short waisted, have no hips, normal to thin legs and carry a little bit of tummy these are Great! It's stated as a 5" length but in the size I bought they are a smidge longer. They have some good stretch. The legs are just right. The fit is straight. The knit waist perfect for any little extra. They are not see-through.

I'm guessing here but the size 16 1/2 seems to be a women's size 6. The size 18 1/2 seems to be around a women's size eight.

I normally wear a 6 but have put on a few lbs but now dieting so I ordered one of each.

If you don't want 1/2 sizes the actual size is tricky. The size 18 is smaller than the size 16 1/2.

It's really best to find a store an try them on. I ordered the wrong smaller size online and paid with PayPal. Instead of sending back I took it to a local Justice store that I didn't realize was here. They do not give you your money back if you used PayPal, you get a store credit (didn't have my size in white). The number on the store credit did not work online as I was told. Online chat does not work. I was on hold for twenty five minutes before I got a person to sort it out and reorder.

That part was very inconvenient!!!!

Still, when I get my right size in the mail I will be happy happy as finding something to fit right is so hard.