Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peps_22

Garden vs. Containers in S. New England - Containers are winning!!

peps_22
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I planted peppers and tomatoes in both my garden and containers. The containers and garden get similar sun. The plants are doing much, MUCH better in containers. Southern New England has "moderate" drought and I noticed that while I thought I was effectively watering my garden, the soil a centimeter underneath was bone dry. Could lack of water be stunting development? The plants aren't drooping. Just growing much slower. Anyone else in my area noticing this?

Comments (6)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    7 years ago

Comparing plants that are growing in the ground versus those growing in containers is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. In the short term containers produce quicker results but if you don't keep up on the watering and fertilizing the plants crap out quicker than those planted in the ground, resulting in smaller overall yields. At least that's been my experience.

Could the dry soil be causing a difference? Absolutely. As can other things.

Rodney

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

What method are you using to water your garden vs. method used to water containers? For example, you can't compare the very limited amount of water delivered down to the roots with an overhead sprinkler with the amount poured directly into a container.

Is your garden heavily mulched? It can be a plant saver, especially in times of drought.

Dave

• yepperbepper
    7 years ago

Peps...what types of containers are you using? I have used recycled tires for the past few years here in 6a and have found that i have less problems, pests and disease. I have also noted much more production and growth. I have wondered if it's because it is easier to control the environment in containers.

Interesting post. Thanks. I look forward to the replies and other possible comparisons.

• luaygh
    7 years ago

I had a similar experience last year with my peppers. They did miserably in the raised bed, and really well in the containers. Tomatoes in containers also out performed my raised bed ones. I was using MG potting mix in the containers .

But I had the opposite experience with cucs. They did better in the raised bed. My tomatillos also did amazing in the raised bed.

I realized this year (before starting my Year 2 veggie garden) that the reason for this inconsistency was 1) watering, 2) fertilizing and 3) my raised beds were new (triple mix, mannure, top soil).4) planting temps

I was over watering everything. Basically not letting soil dry out a bit. Which caused a lot of problems.

I didn't think I needed to fertilize the raised beds, because I figured the manure and organic granular fertilizer was enough. I didn't realize these things take time to break down and become available for plants.

I planted my peppers/tomatoes in the raised bed too soon and they were stunted. I also used SFG method and cramped the tomatoes in the raised bed way too closely, resulting in some bacterial and fungal issues.

So there was a lot of learning from Year 1 to Year 2 for me. My conclusion last year was that containers were better than the raised bed and my plan was to max out on containers this year. After some research and thanks to the helpful folks on this board, I was able to properly time my planting and water when needed.

So far, I am having excellent growth and yields from both the raised beds and the containers.

My plan is to move over exclusively to raised beds next year.

• peps_22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

UPDATE - I finally noticed some vertical growth and greening of the leaves today. It seems that my efforts to water (and feed) more deeply are helping. Containers still seem to provide the best environment for quicker growth IMO, a great way to control moisture and nutrients. Hopefully this dry spell will end - I remember last summer seeing exponential growth after a long hard rain.