Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianbeatty

new to tomatos, questions

mr. white (6a)
7 years ago

I was just given 2 tomato plants, ones a " cherry tomato jasper" the other a " Barnes mountain orange" I believe? Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Comments (10)

• mr. white (6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The question is how do I not kill them,best soil type, best way to brace them, sun exposure etc. general knowledge? I know the pots are too small since there's about 5 inches of roots coming through the bottom of the pots, I have a 5 gallon bucket which I've seen ppl grow them in or is straight in the ground better?

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Agree. If you can, plant them in the ground somewhere. Otherwise they need MUCH bigger pots (minimum of 5 gallon but 7-10 gallons would be much, much better) filled with a good potting mix (not soil) and provided with a cage or other support of some kind, then regular watering and feeding.

Not familiar with the Barnes but the Jasper is a huge plant easily 6-8 feet tall and 3-4 feet wide. You can Google the names of both for all the details on each variety.

Dave

mr. white (6a) thanked digdirt2
  • digdirt2
    7 years ago

Sorry we were typing at the same time. In ground 3-4 feet apart would be best by far. For support, not the best but quick and easy to find, get a couple of those extra tall and heavy duty 4 ring tomato cages you see at some stores (usually in bright colored paint) as the small 3 ring things are too weak. Also buy four 5-6' tall stakes of some kind that you can drive into the ground and tie the cage to to keep it from falling over. Dig a hole about 6-7" deep and mix some slow release fertilizer in with the dirt in the bottom of the hole (follow its label directions), and plant them and water them well. Place the cage and the stakes now so the roots aren't damaged later.

Then go over to the Growing Tomatoes forum here and do a bunch of reading.

Good luck.

Dave

mr. white (6a) thanked digdirt2
  • mr. white (6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, I googled them prior to posting, I'm just used to getting info from many different sources

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    7 years ago

What Dave said. Also, if I were you, I'd dump some compost in each hole before you plant. Not knowing the quality of your soil, that might be smart. Keep the soil moist at a depth of an inch or so. Not sure where you are, but that may mean watering once or twice a week. If it's hot, and they seem to wilt within a week or two after transplanting, give them water more frequently so they can get themselves established.

mr. white (6a) thanked daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
  • Richard Brennan
    7 years ago

If you are going to put them in containers, take a look at something like a 10 or 15 gallon Smart Pot (available on Amazon). They are fabric and rather cheap (less than $15) with a good bagged potting soil.

I agree with the advice above that in the ground is better. In addition to the compost look for an organic tomato fertilizer.

These varieties are indeterminate, which means they will grow to 7 - 10 feet tall.

mr. white (6a) thanked Richard Brennan
  • Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
    7 years ago

Jasper has been my tallest growing tomato variety; many of mine grew close to 20 ft. tall by seasons end. Expect a "jungle" from a single plant and plan accordingly. Without the proper support you'll not be able to find half of the marble sized tomatoes.

mr. white (6a) thanked Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
  • gumby_ct
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

First find a spot that get at least 5 or-6hrs of direct sunlight minimum to plant in the ground. - Not daylight but unshaded direct sun.

To bolstering the in the ground suggestion. Planting any tall indeterminate plant in a pot or bucket will certainly present challenges such as how to keep it from falling over and blossom end rot to mention a few. Watering is another and don't go on a vacation if you grow tomatoes in a 5 gal bucket.

As mentioned those tomato cages are not the best for support but give it a go so you will know in the future you will want to find a better method of support.

But tomatoes (like most veggie plants) are happiest in plenty of direct sunlight.

mr. white (6a) thanked gumby_ct
  • jnjfarm_gw
    7 years ago

I would get ROOT POUCHES to put them in over Smart Pots. You could go out for dinner with the money you save and get a very good product

mr. white (6a) thanked jnjfarm_gw