Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmg211

Need help figuring out lighting for an "awkward" dining area

tmg211
7 years ago

We put an addition on our house, which expanded our kitchen/dining area out to a sitting area with fireplace, new cocktail bar area, etc. I have several "design dilemma's" with this new area that I intend to post questions about, but the current problem is this: We have a dining room table that needs lighting help when we have guests for dinner, etc. There is a high bar with two high hats over it, where we eat when it's just the two of us; the stools are located in the in the same space as the dining area. The light that is currently in the dining area is pre-renovation. We want to change the fixture, but since the table is usually pulled out from the wall when in use (and may also be expanded with leaves) , putting an actual light over it doesn't really make sense. I was thinking maybe some type of track light, with some bulbs directed on the painting and some toward the table. Since the painting is the feature for that wall, I don't think I would t want anything too invasive? Any thoughts? Also if anyone thinks track lighting would work, where would the fixture be mounted? Off center, more toward the painting? Any help will be appreciated. Pics attached since my dilemma is hard to describe in words!

Comments (21)

• altadavey
    7 years ago
    I would suggest you place that table centered on the light fixture and not try to enhance the picture with light or tie the two together. That picture can stand on its own! In fact, if you have a leaf I'd add it to give the table more substance. If you find a fixture that you love, make sure it is larger than the one you currently have. You can also put it on a dimmer to use when you don't need a lot of light. Good luck!
  • tmg211
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Have to keep the table where it is in order to have a path to walk between bar and table.
  • visualizemaven
    7 years ago

I think any chandelier in this space will look awkward and out of place.

I think dropping in high hats or ceiling cans is the way to go in your space.

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

Is that your only dining space, other than the bar area? You can't move the table closer to the slider?

• tmg211
    Original Author
    7 years ago

shirlpp, yes, this is our only dining space. Since we've been working on our renovation in "stages," I'm hoping to add a small island in the open space you're looking at near the slider, in between the loveseat and the cocktail bar area. My hope is to remove the over-the-stove microwave (major design mistake since I cook a lot), and put a good venting hood there, then put a convection microwave in a small island. (Another design dilemma "bridge" I need to cross in the future.) For now I'm just trying to resolve this dining area lighting issue. We have an electrician scheduled to come out in the next week or so and I'd like to be able to tell him where to relocate the power source. I'm including two more pictures to get a better idea of the situation. I'm praying all you "Houzzer's" can help me!

I cringe every time I look at pictures of this area and see that ceiling light! :(

visualizemaven, I have also thought about using high hats! But what size would work, how many and where would they be located?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

ok,

so first i notice a lot of dead space behind the sofa.

then i notice this it a second living room with a giant tv. is there a tv in the other room?

Here is what i think. lets re do the layout a bit and move the table entirely.

if we faced the sofa toward the the windows, put two chairs to the fire place

and moved the table.....

• Jan
    7 years ago
    I'm not fond of the tv in the corner by itself. Can it go on the wall with a cabinet under it? I like the layout with the table by the sliders. A think can lights, you are then free to move you furniture as you like.
  • erinsean
    7 years ago

Looks like you would only have to move the small table behind the sofa ....maybe put it under your lighted picture....then put your dining table near the sliders behind the sofa. Maybe get an upholstered chair for the living room....I am not sure an island in the space by the sliding doors/behind couch is a really good idea, but if that is what you need...then do it.

• visualizemaven
    7 years ago

tmg! I think the last three suggestions are spot on! Please consider changing the layout.

An electrician can advise you on how to lay out the can lights/high hats. Usually they are randomly scattered if no task lighting is required. We have like a million throughout our house - make sure you get fixtures made for LED bulbs and make sure everything is put on dimmer switches - you won't regret it!

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

I also suggested moving the table and she said: "I'm hoping to add a small island in the open space you're looking at near the slider, in between the loveseat and the cocktail bar area"

• abb_ann
    7 years ago
    I totally agree with down by the river. The table is more enjoyable near an outdoor view than shoved up against a dark wall. Move the table and get a fabulous chair for where the table is now. Hang in there, it will come together.
  • tmg211
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The table "shoved up against a dark wall" is rarely used. I posted to get input on lighting ideas where it's currently located. It is a dining set we inherited and may not even keep. Unfortunately everyone seems more obsessed with the poor layout. The table behind the loveseat is only temporary until we can move forward with plans for the open space behind it. This has been, and continues to be, a work in progress over the last 4 years.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Try a spider arm fixture. All sorts of configurations and you can direct the light to where it is needed. I think this style would be fine with your decor.

Spider 3-Arm Ceiling Lamp · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

No more kitchen cabinets or islands. You're letting your kitchen gobble up way too much square footage. You don't have enough space for a decent lounge LR area.

The new layout suggested above solves your problems.

• tmg211
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you JudyG and Beverly for the pro tips! We actually have a living room, the fireplace room/kitchen/dining is not our only living room space.

• Maureen
    7 years ago

Since you mentioned you inherited the dining set and I believe open to a new one, I would leave the light where it is located and look for a rectangle harvest table with a bench that can tuck in, which will allow a walkway. You may want to tape out the area to sure but even when bench is pulled out for eating, people would only have to walk around the other side during meal time (if necessary). I would look for a rectangle industrial light fixture and compliment bar stools' metal color.

• tmg211
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maureen, very cool ideas, thank you!

• Maureen
    7 years ago

So happy! Good luck. If the floor plan works for your family, that's what is most important. Down the road, you can always put a semi-flush mount fixture in this location if you decide to change the layout around.

• Sandybean
    7 years ago
    IMO no light will look good there. The dining table looks as if it's in your family room. Take down the light and have the fixture capped. Table would be perfect in area behind couch. I agree no island should go there.
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

any news on this post?