Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growitnow

Comparison of Different Drift Roses

growitnow
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, I have observations and am interested in others experience, and also have a a question.

I have 3 Drift Coral planted, 3 Red planted, 3 Pink in pots, and 2 Peach planted this season.

Coral: nice full shrub with ample bloom. Best overall health, strong stalks.

Peach: smaller than Coral and about same size as Red. Fine in pots and has been less robust than Coral (maybe bec in pots)

Red: OK, but spindly, I like it the least of the Drift roses I have.

Peach: too early to tell but looks good so far this season.

Curious of compare and contrast in others experience.

Question: How is Popcorn? I want some white or yellow to replace the not great Red but don't want more of the same in OK but weak growth. Any alternatives to Drift for yellow or white that are nice robust landscape roses, not too big?

Comments (17)

• vasue VA
    7 years ago

Emily in FL started a great thread last year with comparisons & photos. Where do you garden?

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/3003460/no-rose-blooms-continuously-like-the-drift-series?n=44

• lainey2 VA
    7 years ago

I have one red in the ground. It Isn't my favorite rose. I would probably S/P it if someone special had not given it to me. It has blooms most of the time and healthy foliage.

• smithdale1z8pnw
    7 years ago

I have 3 Peach Drifts & so far the colour is very quirky, anything from acid orange to nasty coral yuck, they're new so I'm hoping that it's growing pains. I avoid my eyes now when I walk by them. Nice plants, though.

Jane

• Labradors
    7 years ago

I have a Peach Drift and a ?- Drift (a no-label Drift bought on sale). I absolutely LOVE Peach Drift and hated ?-Drift this spring because it had multi-petalled yucky ugly pale pink blossoms. However, I just checked on it and the new flowers are a pretty Apricot colour and are double, not multi. Meanwhile, Peach Drift has changed from Peach to a pretty red and white??? I am not crazy and these are the only two roses in the garden, so I am not confused either {LOL}. I knew that they changed form over the season, but apparently, they change colour as well!!!! At least in my garden.....

Linda

• 123 456 Tx z9a
    7 years ago

I have a peach drift and an apricot drift. I bought both on clearance. The Apricot had a few blooms after I cleaned them up and then didn't bloom again. It's still in the pot. The peach gave me my first blooms starting last week. It has several buds on the same spray. Peach is more fragrant than Apricot, too. The color is all over the place with that one, from light pink to peach to coral. The one in the ground is the peach.

Peach in the ground

Apricot when I got it in May.

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    7 years ago

I have Apricot, Peach, Popcorn, Pink, Red and Coral. My Coral grows the biggest and tallest. All of the roses change color depending on how much sun they are getting. In early spring in their first flush all are beautiful but as it gets into summer their blooms slow down and the Apricot, Peach and Coral go orange. The Pink almost doesn't bloom. The Red gets spindly and the Popcorn goes from being white and yellow to adding a pink streak in the white blooms. I have about 15 Popcorn planted as a border and they look good except for July and August when they don't bloom but the bush is great. The Pink seems to be the most susceptible to the heat and needs more water than the others.

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

I planted 1 popcorn last year as a trial, I wanted to see how it did for a season. Thinking of using multiples of it as a border in a bed with columnar hornbeams & limelight hydrangeas. Because I will need like 20 of them I wanted to be sure. Anyways, my point was it wintered well, don't know your zone? It has a bit of yellow on the buds, but is pretty much an off white mass of flowers while in full bloom.

No disease issues, my puppy ate all the stems right back in the spring & survived that. It's only been in 1 year now, so hard to say how big it gets. I also see they now have a white drift available as well.

Whole popcorn

In my test garden area. Just so you can see the size of it after 1 northern climate season.

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

I also forgot to mention in previous post. Have you grown or seen the oso easy collection? They have some more unique colors available.

• growitnow
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OSO Easy look interesting. Where to order?

I'm in zone 7, VA by the way

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

I have seen the oso easy in quite a few stores. Just like the drift they are sold in garden centers & the big box stores.

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    7 years ago

Northland Rosarium has the oso easy roses

http://northlandrosarium.com/classes.php?classId=12

• Tracy Clayton
    3 years ago

I have both red & coral. The coral is fabulous- blooms wonderfully. ! The red is not very impressive at all!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Ha! I like the red! I doesn't bloom as often as the pink, but has a very pretty habit and gorgeous little leaves. The tiny flowers are also more double which suits the plant. The pink blooms practically non-stop. Both are putting on size in their 3rd or 4th year, but seem to take well to pruning.

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    3 years ago

I have popcorn, apricot and peach drift. Planted last year apricot bloomed in cycles about four and was beautiful.

Unfortunately i followed the advice on the tag that said to prune by two thirds, now it seems to be growing very slowly. Wish I had just left it alone.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

vasue commented here ( above) 3 years ago. What happened to vasue, who had many insightful comments?

There is a large planting of what I suspect are coral Drifts near me. Maybe 35 roses. Constant bloom once they get started. I’ve never examined them up close. I will try to do that to confirm identity, and report back.

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We mass-planted Peach, Coral, Apricot, Sweet and White in our garden for landscaping use a few years back. They have been bulletproof in terms of performance reliability, foliage disease resistance, heat & cold tolerance. Peach has the most handsome foliage and the first to bloom, coral has the most dwarf form after six years in ground, apricot is similar to peach but paler green leaves, and sweet/white are the tallest and their blooms come in the last. They all are beautiful in each’s own way and offer great impacts in the various locations we assigned them. By the way, White’s bloom form is the most double, has that old garden rose look.