Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahmarthasw

Discovered original wood floors in Reno. Help?

Sar
7 years ago
We recently bought a home in Bavaria, Germany built in 1956. While performing a major gutting, we peeled off the layers of flooring to find an original tongue and groove wood flooring (!) in various states of condition. We'd love to keep them, of course, but rough transitions under door frames, gaps where we've removed walls, large-ish spaces between boards in places, as well as a house addition (kitchen) leave us wondering if we can pull this off. Any help in determining the wood and its suitability to become one of the star features in our new home? Should this be left to a pro or is there a possibility for a DIY? Thanks in advance for any insights!

Comments (4)

• Barbara Almandarz
    7 years ago

What a great find! Unless you are very comfortable using professional equipment, I' leave this to a pro. To bring them to a state you want requires not only good equipment but the know-how and experience of a pro.

Sar thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Please delete the other posts

Sar thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jack Gustavson
    7 years ago

Before hiring someone, try cleaning a smallish area of flooring really well and applying one of the new polymer based "floor restorers". I just recently restored the 1960s-era never-properly cleaned hardwood floors in an entire house using a product called "Scott's Liquid Gold Floor Restore". You MUST thoroughly clean the floors first. I used Scott's Liquid Gold Hardwood Floor Cleaner and a very, very old Hoover floor scrubber that I had bought in a thrift store about 20 years ago. I rinsed with a mixture of household vinegar and water. I did not "overwet" the floors. Then let floors dry overnight.

My floors were stained a dark color and in areas where I could see scratches or where the finish had worn off, I applied "Old English Scratch Remover" in the dark color, letting it soak in for an hour and then wiping up any excess with an old towel.

Last, I applied the "Floor Restore" product using the micro-fibre pad side of a large Swiffer-style applicator with a removeable, washable applicator pad.

After drying overnight, I could not believe how vastly, vastly improved my floors were! They have a gorgeous low lustre shine to them now. They do not look like "new, refinished floors". They look like what they are - vintage hardwood floors in excellent condition. And that cannot be beat for adding character to an older home!

There are several of these newer, polymer based hardwood flooring "restore" products out there. I read about all of them and made my decision on brand name and pricing. Compare pricing at both the big box stores and online.

Oh, and you can wait a few days and go ahead and put a second coat on over the first for more of a shine. I didn't - mainly because I liked the low lustre.

As for coverage, the 24 oz. bottle ($10 at Walmart) ALMOST covered the area it said it would. But I would say measure the area you want to treat, figure what you need per the instructions on the bottle and buy one extra bottle. Any extra can be used to go over heavily trafficked areas with a light coating at a later time, I am told.

• Sar
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Helpful detail, Jack - thank you. Congratulations on what sounds like a beautiful restore into just want you wanted!