Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danaco

Wine rack doesn't go with cottage look..

Dana Coward
7 years ago

Please help me! We bought this wine rack and painted it. It just doesn't seem to go well next to my antique china cabinet, but I live in a small space and its the only place it will fit!

Comments (19)

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

Put it somewhere else. Under the TV? In back of the sofa? In the kitchen under the microwave? In the hallway?

• Dana Coward
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks but its the only place it can go.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

you are correct. it doesn't go. why did you paint it white?

• Bev
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would repaint it! The reason it does not look good is due to it being a stark white against all of the dark woods around it. I would go with a beige or other color that is in the dining room. Metallic gold would be very pretty!

• Dana Coward
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm thinking of distressing it...? Your thoughts?

• Bev
    7 years ago

I'm not a fan of distressed furniture but I know it is popular. Go for it if that is what you want.

• Dana Coward
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I painted it white because on the other side of the kitchen are the white cabinets and countertops.

• PRO
    Design It!
    7 years ago

Is it a solid wood wine rack? If so strip and sand the paint off and stain it to coordinate with the other furniture in the room. Also, stain to match some trim pieces to add to the top and bottom and add legs to it. Painting it a brown tone is also an option. The white along with the lines and style is making it stand out. You have white baseboard it looks like, but the furniture is all natural wood tones, so stick with that pattern and make the wine rack a natural wood tone as well. This will help it blend in. Adding some ornate trim that is similar to what is in the room already will also help blend the wine rack with the furniture style in the room. Hope that helps!

Dana Coward thanked Design It!
  • Dana Coward
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes it does help! Thank you. It is a solid wood, pine actually. I think you are right about the style. Legs would look good on it.

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    7 years ago

Paint it an espresso color and attach some bun feet to it. Getting it up off the floor would look better.

• acm
    7 years ago

Or maybe you just need to get something with a more traditional feel.

Large Oak Wine Cube Rack, 32"H x 32"L x 8"W · More Info

Two Tone 64-Bottle Deluxe Wine Rack, Pine, Black and Cherry S · More Info

• Dana Coward
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, but we paid a lot of money for it.

• connie912
    7 years ago
    Have you ever considered hanging it on a wall in the kitchen?
  • Barbara Almandarz
    7 years ago

Add some feet and paint it the color of your walls. You could paint it a darker brown color to go with your table, but it will make your room look small. You won't be able to disguise it to look antique, the straight lines define it as modern.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

You are correct. It does not go with your decor. What if you add wine holders over the blackboard...(which is using up a lot of valuable space).

9-Bottle Wall Mounted Wine Rack Set Of Four · More Info

• Dana Coward
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you !

• michsa
    7 years ago

Paint it Black - it will then just disapear

• Dana Coward
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am afraid if I paint it too dark it will make my kitchen darker. I have NO windows in this kitchen and it is dark as it is. I like the idea of adding feet. Any thoughts on painting and distressing blue or green?