Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyrox21

it all started with a rug

Ruby Gaxiola
7 years ago

I recently re did my living room....we have fresh paint and I don't know where to start. I found this rug that I absolutely love and need to make it work. I need your advice on curtains, pillows, and anything else i should add or get rid of. I also have to make the brown leather couches work. No chance of getting rid of those. :(

rubyrox21's ideas · More Info

Comments (74)

• Bev
    7 years ago

Beautiful rug! I would also look for turquoise drapes because they will give the room more color than silver will. I know turquoise and silvery gray would be great on pillows as well! Here are some pillows from Houzz:

Michael Amini Metallic Hexagon Pillow, Turquoise/Silver, 20"x20" · More Info
    Safavieh PIL459 Pillow, Set of 2), Turquoise, 18"x18" · More Info
    This one would look fabulous with your brown sofas!

Jewels and Old Country Turquoise Pillow · More Info

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

For those of you who asked here are additional pictures of the living room. I don't plan on putting a tv anywhere. As for the big wall where the small couch is I was thinking of putting a gallery of pictures since this is our family/formal living room. I purchased the rug at rugsusa.com. So I'm getting different responses on the color of the curtain panels.. I"m still undecided on those. I do love love that teal chair!! amazing!!

• PRO
    HCD Group Corp
    7 years ago

I think you have something really good to work with. For picking out the other elements you want to bring into the room, I would use the colors in the rug to match other pieces, but I would buy some "non-busy"elements. For example, for a pillow, I wouldn't buy pillows with too much design on them, instead I would buy them a solid blue or gold. The rug is very busy and a focal point for the room, I wouldn't distract the attention from it with more busy elements.

Ruby Gaxiola thanked HCD Group Corp
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

Oh oh oh, I love the curtains. Keep them! Add splashes of teal and buttery yellow around the room. If you can see your way to replacing some of the way-too-brown tables, that would be a bonus.

Ruby Gaxiola thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

Don't have time to finish now, but here's a start.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

The drapes are way to light for the room they Just can't compete with the dark furniture. You need to bridge the gap between the dark furniture and the wall of windows...I would pull a medium gray I think is in the rug and use that as the drape color....if you love the dark teal velvet chair that was posted you could add pillows in that deep color onto the sofa with a pattern pillow that brings in all the colors of the space. I love the idea of the gallery wall. I would add wall lighting to flank the gallery of pictures and bring much needed light to that side of the room.

I Would keep the drape panels stationary and add blinds for privacy at night...their are so many budget friendly choices.

Ruby Gaxiola thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Also I would only add a rectangle coffe table and it should be placed 18" from front of the large sofa...any other furniture should have its own small side table. The coffee table should not be centered in the space..it is totally unusable so far away from all seating. Here is a simple black metal table with glass...would work perfect in your space.

• PRO
    Chris Zec Photography
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Seascapes · More Info

Liking Home Interior's comment about not getting carried away with the bright teal. It's fine as a very small accent on the beautiful rug, but the overall feel of the room and rug is soothing. Bright accents will stick out as such. Love the curtains, the rug and even the brown couches!
    Seascapes · More Info

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

A lighter coffee table, pillows, new fan light:

• absg99
    7 years ago
    I am in agreement with Grover with regards to the curtain staying and the coffee table suggestion.

Would you consider moving the larger sofa to where the smaller sofa is now and then moving the smaller sofa to where the chair is? If you are open to removing the chair from the room you could then put two light teal upholstered chairs where the larger sofa is now....

Just a thought!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I just don't see a very modern/slightly mid century table in your room...it looks to me like you are more transitional..and again the coffee table should not be in the middle of the room. You have a lot to think about...what type of design are you drawn to? The brown leather and pub table are very transitional pieces...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I would suggest going on Houzz and adding inspiration pictures to your ideabook so we can all help you to achieve the look you desire!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Maybe add something upholstered to lighten up the space...like this upholstered coffee table...

her are a few inspiration images

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OMG thank you so much! I finally have found a name to the type of style that I like. I wasn't sure what it was called. I have started to add pictures to my idea book.

So far I'm thinking of getting grey curtain panels. I really think my striped panels don't really stand out and just blend with the wall. I was also thinking of removing the single couch with that ottoman and removing the center coffee table. Doing that I want to get a velvet/teal ottoman and use that as a table for the middle. Add pillows in solid colors with blues, teals, and lime green. I will have to re-arrange the sofas, and see what works best. I do like the idea of the teal chair but don't know if it will be too much with the ottoman being teal as well. Unless i get a table like you suggested Home Interiors with Ease and add the teal chairs for a pop of color. I was thinking of doing a gallery wall but my brother just build me some ledges that I will use to put pictures on. I also like the idea of changing the end tables to something brighter. Maybe something with gold legs as I previously saw in one of the suggestions. I hope Im on to something. I thank you all for you input and guidance. It has been a big help. Any other input would be greatly appreciated. :D

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

My advise to you is to not do big ticket items in your accent color...you might grow tired of the teal and you are stuck...it is amazing what your rug and some colorful pillows lamps can do for a space...maybe add teal lamps a floor lamp to bring in the color you want. Light neutral upholstered chairs with deep teal pillows will give you the same punch of color but not lock you in....something to ponder as you make your selections.

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

If you're going to do an ottoman, please do one with legs.

This one is from West Elm.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

How are things going?

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm patiently waiting for my rug :) I think once that comes in I can really get a look at the colors. It should be here tomorrow.

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i just ordered my curtains.. black out grey curtains. I needed the blackout material we live in Arizona and the sun comes in very bright through those windows.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Beautiful!! They will add balance to the space and look gorgeous!! So excited for you! I think the contrast on that large window wall will look so great. What length did you order? The higher you hang your drapes the better...looks like you have very high ceilings so keep that in mind....please hang rods higher than what is in image if possible.

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I ordered 108x50. Do you think I should order longer ones??

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I do have very high ceilings..so should i go for the 120x50?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

What is the length you have now?

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

106x50

• zzmom40
    7 years ago
    Yes do 120" and hang rod higher o accommodate the longer panels. Will they be stationary panels?
  • Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

what do you mean stationary panels? i usually open them up during the day. However close them at night and morning if no one is home.

• zzmom40
    7 years ago
    Wth the panels hanging high it is hard to open and close everyday...with the panels only 50" wide it is best to have them hang on each side of window just for esthetics....I would hang blinds or faux 2" wood blinds on the Windows that you can adjust everyday for sunlight or privacy....if you live near a Home Depot they are very budget friendly and can be cut there whatever width you need. That way your drapes stay perfect all the time. Honey comb blinds are very inexpensive and usually fit inside window and when open you can't even tell that they are there.
    Ruby Gaxiola thanked zzmom40
  • Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Great idea thank you for all of your suggestions and input. As you can see I'm so new at this.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Will you be trying to do blinds with the gray panels stationary? Did you get your rug yet?

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Help! I moved my couches around bought some pillows. What do you think about the pillows.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Hi Ruby...I feel like you need to bring in a large pattern in gray and off white from the Rug..with some solid teal pillows....not sure about what you have now..looks very yellow? Love the Rug..sofas look nice facing each other with less space between them..perfect.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Any combination of these would look great...you can find them all on Etsy.com..just put the name of each company you see in the left upper corner into the search bar on Etsy....prices are great but they are mostly only covers with zippers you add fillers....but they are all made just beautiful..I order from a lot and the quality is like custom!

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

those pillows are beautiful but way out of my budget. I have a 2 yr old and a 4 year old running around. i would hate for them to get ruined. I did take your advise however and got rid of the yellow pillows. I just need some pillows to bring them all together for the big couch that wont break my bank :( i also have that open area right in front of the windows that I dont know what to put there. Any suggestions..

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

Don't put anything in that area between the windows. Get longer curtain rods and hang your curtains wider. They will mostly cover that wall and the problem is solved.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Sorry about the pillow prices...you just never know when the budget isn't talked about..now I know...actually the first gray printed pillow cover is only $12.00 and it can go over any pillow you have....do you have pier one?

• Saanviz
    7 years ago
    hi Ruby, I really liked the rug, could you please give me the link for it, I have the similar kind of colors in my home.
  • Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @HEWE Yes we have a pier one!! I can do Pier One
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Not much to pick from at Pier One...but this has teal and brown in it...still $30 not as nice as the other ones I showed you.

These are solid pairs you can get from Target

Not sure is your carpet pattern color more blue or teal? Let me know if I am suggesting correct colors:))

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Beautiful rug, and not expensive - well let me know if the quality isn't perfect cause I'm posting it somewhere else... ?

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here are some of the pillows I bought and a close up of the carpet. The carpet is great quality and would definitely recommend it
  • Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Another view
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    7 years ago

Looks like you're breaking up the "all brown/beige" pretty nicely with blues. Check out our artwork for ideas for your walls. Many colors and sizes to choose from: www.ShoaGallery.com

Enjoy decorating!

Ruby Gaxiola thanked Shoa Gallery
  • Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Okay I'm making some progress.. any suggestions as to side tables, center table and anything to bring living room together

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Liking that rug! Art idea to bring similar colors? $121.

Modern Style Seaside Waves Framed Canvas Living Room Home Accent Decor 82201 · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

No tv or anything to be added?

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

no ..no tv. i have a smaller room that we use as a tv room.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Do you like that kind of art I posted? You have many photos, and I'd consider removing one wall of them to add color and something you like. Home Goods sells ok canvas pieces.

Eclectic Table Lamps · More Info

• Ruby Gaxiola
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I dont like the art you posted that much. I like the colors :) i do love the lamp though. We dont have a homegoods where i live.. and I don't think you can shop from them online. I just added those pictures I dont want to remove them :(

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Sorry to say I don't like grey pillow as addition with pretty rug - maybe in a city loft with much texture. I also don't think the geometric one works. More teal.

The teal lamp is from Pier 1. I saw it in my store.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!