Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_sl

Before and After, One Year On

suzanne_sl
7 years ago

Finally! The backspash is in and the electrical sockets are no longer hanging loose on their wires. The city inspector came by and passed the last items this morning. !!!!

We moved to this in-original-condition 1964 house just about a year ago. We've tackled nearly everything here. We knew the kitchen had to go as soon as we saw it - 1964 was a long time ago. This is then:

This is now. Notice we (that is, the electrician) got rid of the light box in the ceiling - not easy!:

The basic footprint stayed the same except we lost the peninsula and expanded a bit towards the patio door (above), added an island and flipped the DW to the left. I finally got my Kohler 45 sink!:

We got rid of the wall ovens (too small for pretty much anything) and put in an induction stove and MW. It was important to me to have a landing spot next to the door. We took the door off the doorway and have left it open:

I really didn't love the location of the fridge, but there just wasn't a great alternative. As it turned out, with the addition of the island and the landing spot next to the stove, plus the deletion of that door, the fridge location works out fine. We made a space for a 36" fridge on the theory that a future family would much rather have that size, but with just the two of us we don't need one that big. We use the extra space along the side for the step stool:

I found a place for the mixer!

The floors in the whole house are bamboo. The cabinets are InnerMost from HD. We did the installation ourselves for both the cabinets and the backsplash. The backsplash tile is Sonoma crackle - it took forever because they had just demolished the kiln for the blue accent tile when we ordered so we had to wait for a new kiln to be built.

Comments (29)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

Very pretty! I ♥ white/off-white Shaker cabinets.

suzanne_sl thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • loonlakelaborcamp
    7 years ago

What a wonderful, calming kitchen! The ivory/blue combo works so well with the living room furniture! SO glad you passed! Now is time to party!

suzanne_sl thanked loonlakelaborcamp
  • suzanne_sl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The granite is Silver Cloud aka Viscon White, Viscount, Viscont, and Salone. Whatever it's called, I love it!

• amck2
    7 years ago

Congratulations! What a nice bright kitchen you've created. I can't believe the difference from your Before, but have to say that was not bad for a 1964 kitchen.

I really like your granite and your backsplash choices. That band of blue is a really nice touch.

suzanne_sl thanked amck2
  • Bunny
    7 years ago

It's beautiful!!! I have a similar footprint and it's a great size. I also have Sonoma crackle and love it. Nice work you guys!!!

suzanne_sl thanked Bunny
  • meyerk9
    7 years ago

Very nice job!

suzanne_sl thanked meyerk9
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Very nice

suzanne_sl thanked cpartist
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

What a great looking kitchen. We also took a door off and it really made a difference in the design.

I like how your pendants and counter compliment one another. Very pretty.

suzanne_sl thanked blfenton
  • fishymom
    7 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and I love your floors!

suzanne_sl thanked fishymom
  • scoutfinch72
    7 years ago

It's just beautiful! I love your counters, but I'm a bit biased because I have the same granite!

suzanne_sl thanked scoutfinch72
  • Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

Lovely!

suzanne_sl thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • m_gabriel
    7 years ago

Thank you for sharing this! We are almost done designing a very similar layout so it helps a lot to see what you've done and how the finished product looks.

suzanne_sl thanked m_gabriel
  • suzanne_sl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

m_gabriel, That's what I like about this site. You can see kitchens with all sorts of designs, colors, appliances, and clever ideas and say, "Well, that's a good idea," or "Oh dear. Something to avoid for sure." Even, "I didn't know I really love/hate X. Good to know." ;-)

• cat_mom
    7 years ago

Nice kitchen!!!

suzanne_sl thanked cat_mom
  • zellycat2
    7 years ago

I also love the granite with that strip of blue! Very lovely kitchen!

I'm deciding on window trim right now - what size is the trim around your door? And it looks like you have interesting trim around your kitchen window - could you post a close-up? Thanks!

Great job!!

suzanne_sl thanked zellycat2
  • mgmum
    7 years ago

Fantastic! It looks really good!

suzanne_sl thanked mgmum
  • laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Super job. Enjoy!

suzanne_sl thanked laughablemoments
  • mimitten
    7 years ago

My last house had the exact kitchen layout as your "before"...sold it before it needed to be remodeled. One question: Which brand of induction range did you choose? Thanks.

suzanne_sl thanked mimitten
  • tackykat
    7 years ago

Really like the colors.

suzanne_sl thanked tackykat
  • suzanne_sl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

zellycat- the trim on the door on the door is just what was there already, 1.5" I don't think they even make that trim anymore.

I think what you're seeing at the window is the new window. Except for the sill there isn't any mill work there at all. (These are Milgard windows, which are fine for these windows, but don't ever get the patio doors that pull open in the middle!)

mimitten - After much debate, I went with the Sears model induction stove. What made the decision was the knobs. I wanted to be able to turn a dial vs poking at a button. I've really enjoyed using it. The only drawback is that my pressure canner won't work on it, so I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do about that.
    http://www.sears.com/kenmore-elite-6.1-cu-ft-freestanding-induction-range/p-02295073000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1#

• zorroslw1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and fantastic job on the DIY cabinets and backsplash. I can appreciate the work involved, we moved from a 110 yr old 2 story and everything was a DIY For us (young and broke). We build a new house last year after living in our previous for 42 yrs. We hired everything done this time around, Got DIYed out:). Super job!

suzanne_sl thanked zorroslw1
  • suzanne_sl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

One other thing we did in this kitchen which I love: the water heater in the garage is far enough away that it takes 30+ seconds to get hot water at the sink. We live in a drought area, so all that water running down the drain made me anxious. In a kitchen, there are things that just need hot water to be sanitary. Since we had to have the plumber in anyway, I decided we needed to do a small undercab water heater. Among other things, it requires drilling a hole out the exterior wall for a relief valve. Once a year or so it needs some attention. Even so, I love having the hot water right there when I need to wash my hands or wash chicken off my hands or anything that is a quick job, but it needs hot water. I'd do that one again every time.

• mimitten
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the very informative posts, Suzanne_SL! You've done a beautiful job in this room...Love it!
    suzanne_sl thanked mimitten
  • Errant_gw
    7 years ago

It really looks great!!

i also love your living room rug. Are there two, layered, or is that a border? Can you tell me where you found it?

suzanne_sl thanked Errant_gw
  • PRO
    Design OCD
    7 years ago

Looks great!

suzanne_sl thanked Design OCD
  • suzanne_sl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That rug has been a real hit! Guess where? - Costco about 3 years ago. Just after Christmas this year Costco had lots of rugs in stock, so maybe they do it every year. This is actually our family room. We haven't gotten to the crown molding yet, and haven't decided if we'll do a window covering on the sliding door (there's a patio cover out there).

Our previous house of 41 years only had one living space, so in that house this rug was the LR rug. We got another rug, same idea different colors, for the living room this year.

(The LR is also waiting for crown molding, but hey!, we got the backsplash finished.)

• Karenseb
    7 years ago

Your kitchen looks fantastic and I think your layout is great, Thanks for the info on your induction range, Great choice of colors and backsplash.

suzanne_sl thanked Karenseb
  • Katrina Tate
    7 years ago

Great job. I love Shaker style cabinets.

suzanne_sl thanked Katrina Tate