Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobcobb22

Help identifying my new succulent friend

Dakota C
7 years ago

I recently rescued this little guy from an empty office I was cleaning and would love to know what kind I'm dealing with as to better understand and care for it. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• Dakota C
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes the plant seems to be in poor condition. How would you recommend helping it?

• hookilau
    7 years ago

If it were mine, I would start by rinsing the old soil off the roots gently with a hose.

Then, re-pot in a smaller pot that would accommodate the root ball and about 1/2" or so more. So a relatively small pot, unglazed clay is cheap, unfussy and definitely recommended.

If you can get perlite and mix it 50/50 with potting soil, that will do. I prefer to use a potting medium that is mostly grit, but many people have success with this mix.

When you expose the roots, cut off any black or soft (indicating rot) parts before re-potting.

Pot up & use a skewer or chopstick to gently push the potting medium around the roots, do not water in.

Set the pot in a bright but shaded spot outside if you can.

Do not water until you see new growth, then to water, you can either stick a chopstick or pencil into the soil, if it comes out damp, do not water.

Alternatively, you can lift the pot, if it feels heavy, (after you water for the first time, note the weight of the pot) don't water, if it feels ridiculously light, go ahead and water.

Gradually acclimate to full sun. If indeed sedum adolphii firestorm, it will take on really pretty shades of pink, red and or orange.

If leaves fall off, leave them in the pot, they will grow new plants =D

• hookilau
    7 years ago

Here's a small pot of rooted cuttings for comparison. I snipped off the very tip of rosettes & rooted.

this is what can happen, if you don't acclimate slowly to full sunn, lol.

I rushed it & they got sunburned

Dakota C thanked hookilau
  • Renee
    7 years ago

Did the same to my Sedum adolphii. It's hard to look at the leaves. Can't wait for it to outgrow them.

• Dakota C
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much, you have been a great help to my new plant friend! I'll get right on repotting and making sure he isn't over watered. Hopefully he will be happy and healthy soon and my rescue mission will be complete. Thanks again!!

• hookilau
    7 years ago

@ Renee: I pulled off the burnt up leaves and rooted them =D

@ Dakota C: no prob =) I forgot to mention, this is not a frost hardy plant, I bring mine in for the winter to sit on a sunny windowsill.

Don't worry about over-watering, if it happens, it's because the mix is more water retentive than it should be for this plant to thrive.

You can mitigate that by either giving it more light or using an even more porous mix.

When you bring it in for the winter, you will need to water far less water, so the skewer comes in really handy. It will be less active, so it will use less water.

I wouldn't sweat it though, this plant roots readily from leaves.

Good luck with it, it's a lovely plant!!!!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Hookilau

I hope you don't mind if I say that I disagree on 1 point: Don't worry about over-watering, if it happens, it's because the mix is more water retentive than it should be for this plant to thrive.

If the mix is water retentive, it should be adjusted so it is well draining. You sort of mention it in next paragraph: You can mitigate that by either giving it more light or using an even more porous mix.

Giving it more light will not lessen possibility of overwatering but good mix will. Much better for the plant, and less 'worry' for the grower.

• hookilau
    7 years ago

Well, to put a really fine point on these things ends up with long and wordy posts :)

Blame is often taken on by the grower & in an effort to not 'overwater' they give the plant teeny sips.

One can't cover all bases & keep attention of the reader at all times, so some stuff falls by the wayside.

I'm a hobby grower, not an expert & all i can do is impart what has worked for me in the past.

It's up to the individual to make it work.

No right or wrong answers, just opinions & enthusiasts =D

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

hookilau

Sorry if I upset you and I know I tend to be pretty wordy in my posts. Often, I don't post anything because of that. I rather suggest the best way than 'good enough' if I am suggesting anything - even if it ends up to be a long and wordy post. My best opinion (which still may not be good enough). The way I see it, if ppl don't want to go best way for whatever reason, second best is still better...if I suggest second best and they go less - third best is little worse and so on. I am only a hobby grower and don't know much. Anyway, I said too much already.