Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bssonn

Counter-depth fridge recommendation

Vi Truvian
7 years ago

***Anyone having a love affair with his/her counter-depth refrigerator??

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I LOVE my KA counter-depth side-by-side. It's about 5-6 yrs old and they no longer make it without the dispensers in the door (which I did NOT want). I'll keep this one as long as possible! KA uses hinges similar to those on true built-ins which means the cabinet surrounding the refrigerator can come out much further - it can almost come to the front edge of the door.

• Vi Truvian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, I don't want any dispensers in the door, either. A little harder to find now.

• MizLizzie
    7 years ago

Do NOT buy Electrolux, is my advice. And do cross post to the Appliance Forum. Lots of great info there.

• Vi Truvian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, understand. Will do

• mabeldingeldine
    7 years ago

I have a CD Showcase door Samsung SXS fridge. We love it so much when we just moved (2 days ago!) We bought another for the new place to replace Darth Vader, the hulking black SXS that came with the house.

After install, I have to check it several times to make sure it is working, it is so quiet it is difficult to tell when the compressor is working.

• Vi Truvian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's wonderful. Thank you, for the information. Best wishes in your new home.

• User
    7 years ago

Do you want a counter depth, or a built in? The terminology can be confusing, but they are different beasts.

• eam44
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

As live said, be certain you know what you're looking for! And search for the threads that read, "my fridge doesn't fit." I love my SubZero but they cost an arm and a leg. My plan is for a flush install, if I ever see my contractor again...

• Vi Truvian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

oh, no! sorry

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

agree with live_wire_oak. "Counter-depth" is very misleading. The only true counter-depth refrigerators are the built-ins by SubZero and its like. My kitchen is very small, so I really left my socioeconomic status zone and bought a Subzero. Fortunately I have a family member who is a contractor with a relationship with a salesperson at a major appliance place here, so I got $1,000 off the price. I got the model with the single fridge door and the two freezer drawers on the bottom. I love it.

I really dislike French-door refrigerators. A lot of them (in my actual experience) cause the other door to open when the used door closes, so one is constantly pushing the other door closed or, worse, not noticing and leaving it open all day/night, or having to run over to close it when you hear the beeping start. I also think they are impractical in that you open one door and realize what you want is on the other side, so you close that one, open the other...I think they're just an impractical design.

I do think the 24" depth models are worth buying, despite the very high price tags. The dual compressor system makes a HUGE difference; food really is kept fresher longer, etc. I then bought my range on CL (which I LOVE, more than any one I looked at on the market right now) and saved money in other areas - like doing as much of the labor myself as I could - to justify getting the SZ. Very, very glad I did!

• Vi Truvian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

CL ???

• friedajune
    7 years ago

CL = Craig's List

Vi Truvian thanked friedajune
  • Vi Truvian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ah-ha, can you tell I'm a novice?!?

• friedajune
    7 years ago

That's OK, I just "got" your name. And I've responded to several of your posts, but never noticed until now. :)

Vi Truvian thanked friedajune
  • eam44
    7 years ago

I think slk's look is fine for most kitchens. I had a KA cd French Door fridge in the beach cottage, and it was perfect for my layout where the fridge was in a very shallow space, basically opening into the door to the deck. Otherwise I'm not a fan of the French Door. They look good but they don't function as well as a single door fridge.

My SZ is the best fridge I've owned. My sister is on her second SZ, her first one (from previous owner) having died after twenty eight years of service. They cost about $7K (not $10K), but they work beautifully and they last. If you'd like to know more, check out the SZ threads here. Good luck.

Vi Truvian thanked eam44
  • amyfgib
    7 years ago

Eam, which SZ is $7K? I'm looking at 42-inch sxs and I haven't seen a SZ for less than $10K. Would love to get one for less!

Vi Truvian thanked amyfgib
  • Shelley Graham
    7 years ago

Love my 48 SZ built in! Installed 18 months ago and no problems. Best fridge we've ever had. Food stays fresh so much longer. No water in the door and no ice maker (we have a separate ice maker). I think we paid $9,200 but they are more now. Would certainly buy it again.

Vi Truvian thanked Shelley Graham
  • cevamal
    7 years ago

I recommend avoiding Samsung. Mine didn't cool properly and it took six months of repair appointments below they agreed to replace it because it took so long to get parts every time.

I've since learned that that's typical for Samsung. One luck appliance store doesn't even sell them because it's such a problem.

Vi Truvian thanked cevamal
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

If one does not want dispensers in the door, it's a problem - very few counter-depth don't have those. I know that KA makes a french door version, but they have discontinued the side-by-side that I presently have. I'm just not a fan of the french door. Yes, I'd LOVE a SZ but there is no way I could justify such a huge expense - especially at my age.

Vi Truvian thanked Anglophilia
  • Erica L
    7 years ago

We recently got a Bosch 800 CD with water inside. It was a discontinued model and it appears they've recently released their new model (may not have water inside though).

Vi Truvian thanked Erica L
  • Jancy
    7 years ago

We have 2 Fisher Paykel CD Single door fridges, 2 different homes. One fridge with water on door and one without. 2 1/2 years for 1 with no problems and 1 year for the other no problems and hope it stays that way. I'm another here that does not like French Door fridges, but pretty to look at. I found it to be very inconvenient to use also.

Vi Truvian thanked Jancy
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

That's OK, I just "got" your name.

Duh to me. I just got it too. (And I call myself an artist.)

Vi Truvian thanked cpartist
  • Alla Frenkil
    7 years ago

I just finished complete renovation of my small, very odd and awkward kitchen, and chose tall and sleek counter-depth Liebherr, it's a looker and fits great within the given space. Could not be happier, produce ( and I buy loads of fruits and berries) stay fresh much longer than in my old LG - 8 days for raspberries is not bad at all! Liebherr is expensive, but if you have a little time to hunt check out designer home surplus dot com (remove spaces). They have pretty amazing deals all the time. Oh, if you choose Liebherr, take care of checking the top of the fridge - my model has a 2" ''bump'' on top (vent?) that I and my contactors missed when measured the height of the unit (impressive 72"), and that mistake resulted in re-installation of the above the fridge cabinet. But it's OK, the final look is great.

Vi Truvian thanked Alla Frenkil
  • Vi Truvian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, for the additional advice about the 'bump' up

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!