Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ftmiamibeach

Where did the compact vented washers go?

ftmiamibeach
7 years ago

I am in the process of renovating a city apartment that has an old stackable washer/gas dryer and I'm hitting a brick wall with the dryer options.

To even consider gas, the smallest units are 27" wide and 30-33" deep! That is out of the question, so I started looking at electric models, however, almost every compact (24") model is ventless (condenser). Granted, last time I used one of those was probably a decade ago, but I have nothing but horrible memories of very hot but still wet and wrinkled clothes coming out of the dryer.

Miele and Bosch only have ventless dryers on their websites, period.

LG has no 24" vented models.

Asko and Blomberg have one vented dryer each (T754 and DV17542).

Samsung and GE have one vented 24" model each (DV6800 and DCVH480EKWW)

While I have no problem choosing from one of those 4, I'm wondering if compact vented dryers are on their way out and whether that could be an issue down the line. Having the luxury of a dryer vent in a NYC apartment, it seems silly to go with ventless, but maybe it's time to switch?

Is the change because of safety issues? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

In many countries, Switzerland being one of the first....vented dryers are illegal! Of course if you have one, you may continue to use it, but no new vented dryers have been sold there for several years.

Miele cites safety reasons, for no longer selling vented dryers to residential customers. Condenser or heat pump dryers can contain a fire much longer, than most vented models.

I used a ventless dryer years ago in Sweden and Germany...and OMG, I too hated it. Hot, slow, moist, wrinkled!!!

They are so much better now, and Miele, Electrolux 24" and I believe Blomberg have reverse tumbling whilst drying and cooling down. This drastically prevents & minimizes wrinkling, sheets and blankets balling up and moist/wet spots.

40 years of vented drying.....and I have been ventless/condenser for many months now, and I love it for the most part. Yes, it takes longer, but it is not too bad. Most loads are done in 60 mins of less, and that includes about 15 mins or Cooling Down.

ftmiamibeach thanked larsi_gw
  • practigal
    7 years ago

If your duct is short, then vented will dry faster. If it is a long duct it will probably take just as long as non vented. I'd use vented if it makes sense. Ventless reportedly still adds heat and moisture into the surrounding environment....

ftmiamibeach thanked practigal
  • ftmiamibeach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the responses!

I didn't realize heat pump condensing dryers were already available in the US. Looks like the Blomberg is the only compact model available (W 24" D 24"), and it might actually be worth giving up the vent for it.

Our situation is that the W/D is currently in the kitchen with a short vent, but we're worried that with the current trends, compact vented dryers might not exist in a few years and we won't have room for a vented replacement if/when the dryer breaks.

However, if we were to remodel now with a ventless (heat pump condenser) model, we could relocate the W/D setup to a more convenient location without access to the vent.

Kind of a tough decision to make...

• enduring
    7 years ago

I bought a use dryer off Craig's list from an appliance store in suburban Chicago. Has been working great so far. Are you in a large metro area? My vented used Miele was made in the early 2000. Not used much (?). I liked the seller. I am happy. 90 day warranty from the shop. Not cheap, but l love my original Mieles. Now I have 2 sets.

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

I switched to a ventless condenser dryer (Miele Little Giant) somewhat reluctantly, but did so because a) I needed to stack and already knew which washer I wanted and b) it afforded me the opportunity to move the laundry to a room I thought more practical than the original (similar to what you are contemplating). I have no regrets. While the dry cycle is slightly longer, I absolutely feel the clothes are dried more uniformly without becoming fried.

• mfrog
    7 years ago

I spent a year debating whether to buy a Blomberg, Miele or Electrolux 24" compact set. I decided not to buy Blomberg because you need to plug the washer into the dryer & if one dies, you must replace both. The Miele was out of my budget which left me with Elux. Like Alex, I reluctantly bought a condenser dryer, worrying about the moisture esp because I already live in a damp climate, but I have absolutely no regrets. I don't find it takes longer to dry, however in the spirit of full disclosure, I had a POS LG that never dried the clothes, ever.... no matter how many times I hit restart, I could have dried them for 8 hours & they still would have been damp.

I plumbed in the drain so I would never have to worry about emptying the receptacle.

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

For our Miele condenser dryer, we also used the provided thin drain hose that came with the machine, and we added it to the washer drain....No worrying about emptying the condenser water tray. Easy as a vented dryer to live with!