Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel

Annie's Salsa Recipe is on Mother Earth News :)

Judy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I sometimes blog for Mother Earth News, and Annie graciously gave her blessing for me to post her "famous" recipe.

I also gave a shout out to GardenWeb's fantastic Harvest forum ;)

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/canning/annies-salsa-recipe-zbcz1609

Comments (27)

• annie1992
    7 years ago

Judy, you did a very nice job on that, I'm impressed.

Annie

Judy thanked annie1992
  • randaloulton
    7 years ago

The article says "This salsa recipe is the result of hard work and collaboration between a gal named Annie and her local State Extension Service....State Extension Services at State Universities may also have approved recipes, such as Annie’s Salsa."

But it doesn't say which Extension Service?

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    7 years ago

About how many roma tomatoes does it take to make 8 cups? Thanks.

• randaloulton
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

15 large fresh Romas will yield about 10 cups ( about 2 kg / 4 lbs) of fresh Roma tomato that has been peeled, cored and chopped. So, for 8 cups, just a few less than 15 I reckon.

For unpeeled, unseeded, uncored:
    3 Roma tomatoes, fresh, unpeeled, unseeded, uncored, chopped = 2 1/2 cups (425 g / 15 oz) chopped

7 years ago

Thanks!

• Judy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've also read in discussions that it takes approximately 7 lbs (10 lbs if all of the gel sac/seeds are removed). I never measured it myself but I'm making another batch today and I'll pay attention and report back later.

Randaloulton Annie asked for me to be vague regarding which Extension Service since the fellow that helped her is retired now and the service has stopped maintaining a website for their tested recipes.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Please do note that the recipe does not specify roma or paste tomatoes. That is your choice of course but there have been discussions here in the past that using only roma tomatoes often results in an overly dry, too thick end product and that can cause problems.

So please keep in mind that salsa is supposed to be somewhat 'sloshy', freely moving, in the jars when canned. If it is too soupy for your personal tastes then you can drain the jar AFTER opening it.

Dave

PS: Good job Judy!

• Judy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So Dave maybe I should add "freely moving" to this sentence?

1. The density of the salsa is a consideration; for safe canning purposes it should be thicker than juice but not as thick as catsup. It should be thin enough so the chopped vegetables are freely moving and suspended in the liquid
  • digdirt2
    7 years ago

Yeah sounds better than "sloshy". ;-)

You can add about the draining excess liquid after opening the jars too if you want. Check out the Hot Topics publication from NCHFP see if it words it better than I do.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/factsheets/salsa.html

Judy thanked digdirt2
    7 years ago

Thanks Dave. I keyed on roma because that's the pic in Judy's post - and yeah Judy, Good Job! on that blog. I understand it's best to mix your tom's for better flavor and density. Appreciate all the feedback on my question.

Judy thanked MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
  • brian cabaud
    7 years ago

sounds good thanks for sharing.

• canfan
    7 years ago

Congrats Annie! I think it is awesome that you and your salsa are in Mother Earth News.

• Donna Roesink Zone 6a Ohio
    7 years ago

Beautiful blog post, Judy!

Judy thanked Donna Roesink Zone 6a Ohio
  • Judy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all of the kind comments - but really Annie deserves the lion's share of the credit ;)

I'm creating a revised video clip using Annie's and Dave's suggestions. It can be viewed here Annie's Salsa. I'm open to additional suggestions before I make these changes live :)

Thanks!

• gardnpondr
    7 years ago

I have been making Annie's recipe for years now and we all love it. I haven't even tried another one because this one IS the best!! Yep Annie did all the work to get it JUST RIGHT. Thank you Annie!!! And especially for sharing your recipe!!!!

• annie1992
    7 years ago

gardnpondr, you are more than welcome. I'm just happy that so many people can use that recipe, it makes the work worthwhile!

Annie

• la503
    5 years ago

Love this recipe and appreciate the attention to safety that was behind it. When I first used this recipe I did some research to make sure it was canning safe, but today when I went to look for perhaps updated research don't see the original article. Has there been any further testing?

• digdirt2
    5 years ago

What sort of "updated research" or "further testing" are you looking for? As with all the USDA tested and approved recipe instructions, once recipes are tested and approved, assuming the instructions are followed, then no further testing is required. Nor is any done unless some sort of problems are reported. There are no issues with this particular recipe except that some folks insist on modifying it.

And given all the government funding cutbacks to USDA research likely even less will be available in the future.

Dave

• Annette Herbst
    5 years ago

I made this recipe a few years ago but I swear I used lime juice. My family doesn’t like the vinegar taste. Am I remembering wrong or is it possible to use lime juice?

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Annette, you can safely substitute lime juice or lemon juice for the vinegar. Those juices are even more acidic than vinegar, and some use them instead. My family likes only cider vinegar or it doesn't "taste right", LOL, but others prefer the citrus.

Happy canning!

Annie

• ocwormgirl
    5 years ago

I got lucky and the first salsa I tried was Annie's. I have modified as I like mine spicier and not so sweet. My changes include subbing serrano chilies for the jalapenos, mild chilies for the bells (keeping the measurements the same), and using 1/2 red wine vinegar and 1/2 lime juice (bottled) instead of the ACV. It is crazy good. I usually make 3 double batches each season. Around March I start hoarding the last jars to keep for myself until the garden gets going and I can make more.

• HU-817617881
    2 years ago

Hi! i have been making Annie’s salsa for years its the absolute best!! weird question I know, but can I use canned tomatoes for this recipe instead of fresh ones? I have a health issue thus year and am hoping to make things a littke easier. Thank you!!

• annie1992
    2 years ago

Yes, you can use canned tomatoes and I know some people use frozen tomatoes. You'll probably change the texture somewhat, though.

Annie

• HU-817617881
    2 years ago

Annie! The Superstar herself! Thank you so much for answering, that meant the world to me. Now I don’t have to worry about it! ❤️❤️❤️🤗

• annie1992
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You are very welcome, although I am somewhat taken aback at the "superstar" designation, LOL. I thought I was only helping people use up a lot of tomatoes!

I do hope your health issues resolve and you are back to full speed soon. Happy Canning!

Annie

• busylizzy
    2 years ago

I have used canned tomatoes for Annies salsa. 3 years ago, with no problems. i did buynthe tomatoes without calcium chloride. At the Halloween party i used canned and they ate a gallon of Annies salsa, so i can say it works for sure.