Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gavavemom

Foyer paint color help needed by Thursday!

gavavemom
7 years ago

Our foyer is getting painted this Thursday and I am still struggling with color. I want to do a warm neutral and was leaning more towards a warm greige that reads more beige than grey. Our red oak floors were recently redone to a dark warm tone (hint of red in it) and we want to now paint the yellow that's been in our foyer for ten years. The house face east so gets most the morning sun early on in the day. It is a two story foyer and the intent is to paint the foyer and upstairs hallway the same color. Today I picked up color samples of BM Muslin, Manchester Tan, Grant Beige. I also got a pint of SW Accessible Beige. I really wanted to like Manchester Tan but out of the 4 leaning towards Muslin as my favorite. Grant Beige is just two dark and AB and MT just seems drab and look very gray at night. We'll see what it looks like in full sun tomorrow morning. I'm very wary of undertones and definitely don't want to pick up anything green, pink or yellow. Tibbrix-color suggestions for my foyer? The only room that you can see from the foyer is the LR and it's SW Interactive Cream. Attaching pictures here so you get an idea of the new floor color.

Comments (89)

• maries1120
    7 years ago

On my screen, Accessible and Edgecomb are looking like a little bit of a pink undertone - more in the Edgecomb than AB. Of those I like the depth of AB better than Edgecomb. From the other group, I still like Clay Beige and Manchester Tan. I like the warmer undertone in these 2 better than the other ones but that is my screen and personal preference. I like the look of CB, NL, and MT better with the floor. So my votes are for Accessible Beige, Clay Beige or Manchester Tan.

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

Take a look at this one, it's a tad bit lighter than Grant beige, it's my favorite wall color. smokey taupe

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Of the ones you post with your floor, I like Accessible Beige best for the more taupe color range and the depth of color. Next would be Clay Beige but it's a bit warmer with less of a gray tone, then Edgecombe which looks like a lighter version of AB. I agree with mark_rachel who suggested moving your final choices to another side of the room and double-checking the colors in a different light.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Different wall pictured here. At top, left to right:. CB, NL, MT. Bottom:. AB, E.G.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Clay Beige

• User
    7 years ago

wow they look so different to me on this wall..... (maybe pick out of a hat??)

sorry- I just don't know. they all look so much greyer to me in this photo.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Clay Beige, unless you are really set on going with a gray/taupe and then I'd go with AB or EG. AB is looking pinkish-lavender on my monitor in this photo.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Suggestions for trim color??

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

BM Chantilly Lace.

• Laurie Gordon
    7 years ago

You have to eliminate some... or you will never make a choice.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've made my choice. Clay Beige.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

I know it's not accurate but the two bottom colors look lavender on my iPad as mentioned by someone above.

i like the Clay beige.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ugh second guessing myself after moving the boards around. Clay Beige (right) or Manchester Tan (left) now.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

They look so close to one another, i don't think you'll go wrong, but the clay beige looks a little less muddy on my screen.

• aimeekm
    7 years ago

Actually in these latest pictures I'm really liking the CB, more so than the MT.

• User
    7 years ago

I was going to say the same thing as Oly- that truly they are so similar. If it's any consolation, more people seem to prefer the Clay Beige so go with what you were saying all along. Clay Beige.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well looks like I have another day to sit on it. Prep work only being done today. Painter says the MT looks more tan and CB more grey but they are close.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Stick with your choice. It's done. Move forward. You'll drive yourself crazy.

• maries1120
    7 years ago

Good luck today! Let us know how the color turns out!!!

• kpyeatt
    7 years ago

gavavemom, I can't really help with the paint color but your floors are BEAUTIFUL!! Are they solid wood or engineered? Can you tell me the brand and color? They look like oak. red oak? white oak?Are they? Soooo pretty. Thanks.

• theclose
    7 years ago

Clay Beige! Excellent choice. I have BM Chantilly Lace for all my trim. Love it.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

More prep work today so no painting until Monday. The floors are solid wood, red oak. The color is a custom color our flooring guy created based on sample prefinished wood we picked out. The floor in the foyer, kitchen was prefab Bruce hardwood Gunstock which we sanded down.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maybe you'll think I'm crazy but Grant Beige grew on me over the weekend. Here it is on the right next to Clay Beige. Eliminated Manchester Tan altogether. Grant Beige definitely seems to change color with the lighting. Last minute opinions? I know, I'm driving myself crazy but don't want this to be a costly mistake if I pick the wrong one. I like them both.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

My choice would be the Grant because it would give a more sophisticated feel to your house to go with the wainscoting, trim stairs, etc.

• aimeekm
    7 years ago

They are both beautiful, nuanced colors, go with your gut!

• tibbrix
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You what to know how to make up your mind?

Make a circle with your hands, like you're looking through a telescope. In the circle, have ONLY the paint color and the trim; block everything else out. Close one eye so you can look through the circle and see only the paint color and the trim together. Do one color at a time.

That will tell you what the room will look like and which one is right for you.

• bwwhite49
    7 years ago

what color is this on the wall ?

• theclose
    7 years ago

I still like the Grant Beige best, for all the reasons Tib stated. But I think you'll be happy with either.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I had to make a choice this morning so went with CB. While I understand the reasoning for GB, I went with instinct. Something from the first round made me eliminate GB probably because it looked muddy, dingy and dark at night. My foyer gets only a certain amount of natural light from one window. The two hallways get no natural light. We just felt it was a tad too dark and too green for our tastes and the space , and we were looking for something warmer.

• mark_rachel
    7 years ago

I can't wait to see pics!

• theclose
    7 years ago

Congratulations! Please post pics!

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll post next week. Almost done!!

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sneak peak

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Beautiful! Do you love it? I'm assuming the swatch on the lower left is the most accurate representation of the color?

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Depends on the natural light. Upper right when sun is there, lower right in the shadows. At first after looking at 1 coat thought it was light and we could have gone with a deeper color. Now it's growing on me more and more.

• amykath
    7 years ago

Wow! Looks amazing!

• mark_rachel
    7 years ago

Wow! Looks really great!!

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all. I compared my paint board to what's actually up on the wall and the board was definitely darker. Not sure why that is. Nevertheless it's a nice color, very light and airy and has me inspired to redo much of the decorations in the foyer to modernize it.

• 2pups4me
    7 years ago

Lovely color!

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Yes! Share the colors please.

• User
    7 years ago

I think it looks terrific---- so fresh and cheery and warm. I am MOST dazzled that you already have "situated" your accessories! Looks great!

• maries1120
    7 years ago

It looks great!

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

Very soft and elegant! Whats up with paint not being the same color as the sample boards, the color swatch, etc? There is NO way to compare via the different monitors, phones and tablets. Just not possible and some colors are worse than others. I painted my master bedroom a shade of purple. The same brand and color of paint mixed at two different stores were two different colors. And it looks like 6 different colors at any time of the day depending on which wall you're looking at. Your finished wall doesn't look like any of the sample boards you posted :o It's pretty tho! :) I just don't "get" paint. I guess that's why we're not friends <g>

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The problem is two different paint stores, that's why it turned out different than my board. My painter uses a different Ben Moore store. I don't get it. Maybe the machine hasn't been calibrated in a while? It turned out more yellow toned and I was trying to avoid that from the beginning but must say it is pretty nevertheless!

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Finally had a chance to take some pictures this weekend. Nine days of painting but it's finally done!

• mark_rachel
    7 years ago

I absolutely LOVE it!! It lets your staircase be the star!

gavavemom thanked mark_rachel
  • theclose
    7 years ago

Really looks great! Enjoy!

gavavemom thanked theclose
  • lizzierobin
    7 years ago

It looks great!

gavavemom thanked lizzierobin
  • cawaps
    7 years ago

I love it!

gavavemom thanked cawaps
  • aimeekm
    7 years ago

That turned out absolutely beautiful. The color very much suits your home!

gavavemom thanked aimeekm