Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshineandpinot

Chip in my new quartzite PIP

Lauren0319
7 years ago

I posted this pic in another thread but I think it deserves a thread on it's own. The fabricator my contractor choose has had nothing but headaches with our white macaubas quartzite. The island slab was installed about 2 weeks ago. By the time I got to the house it was already covered up for protection so I didn't get to see it until Friday. I noticed a pretty decent chip along one edge. Try and look past my 5 year old's eye ball lol. See that orange spec in the middle of the edge? That is where the 1 cm chip is. Right where our barstools will be so in a very high traffic area. My contractor is out of town until Saturday. This will be the first thing I bring up to him. What, if anything can be done? The idea of a 1 cm chip in our brand new counters has me fairly upset :/ Especially bc it is in an area that will be used a lot.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

As I said on the other thread, the guy bled into his repair. I've done it. It sucks. Dremel it out and fill it with superglue tinted with nail polish.

Me a month and a half ago. I did not contaminate my repairs.

• H202
    7 years ago

There are better experts on this site, but when we chipped our new carerra marble countertops, I bought a kit on amazon for $20 and it took all of 5 minutes to repair, and the chip is unnoticeable now. I asked a few people if they could find the chip in a three foot run, and they could not.

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm starting to have more concern over my white macaubas quartzite. Should it be smooth like glass all over or is a little texture okay? For example- the following pic is smooth, like glass.

But where the veining is, there is a little texture, roughness. I can close my eyes and when I run my hand across my island I know immediately when I get to a "vein."

But where this veining is, it is as smooth as glass again.

I adore my slab, I just want to make sure this is normal. These counters are $$$$$ so I want to make sure it's all done correctly. I don't think the fabricator is super experienced with quartzite.

Thanks for putting up with me ;)

• suzanne_sl
    7 years ago

That 5 year old eyeball is very cute :-)

Joe-I always say that a quilt isn't truly finished until you've bled on it somewhere in the course of making it. I don't feel the same way about construction projects!

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Okay, I went back to the stone yard and spoke with them. They said the texture is normal and accounts for the different minerals in the stone. They also suggested I have the fabricator come back out to fix the chip and also make sure one crack I found is properly sealed. I feel a little bit better.

• Fori
    7 years ago

Some stone repairs can be absolutely perfect--don't worry yet. Good luck, though! :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

"Some stone repairs can be absolutely perfect..."

Yes. The ones that get fixed before the customer ever sees them.

• User
    7 years ago

My quartz counter came from the fabricator with a little repaired chip in front of the sink. Nothing has budged the repair in four years.

• Fori
    7 years ago

Yeah, it's pretty bad they didn't notice that one...but if the rest of the work is good, there's a decent chance this can be fixed.

• greenwoodframed
    7 years ago

The "texture" you're seeing in the finish is normal. Ours is the same! I like it not being quite so shiny, honestly, and the finish makes it easy to clean.

• Shelley K
    4 years ago

Just curious Lauren- did you have it fixed? How did they fix it?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES