Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlesyue

Glass shower door hinges with wide gaps, please help.

charlesyue
7 years ago

The installer just installed a whole new glass shower cubicle for me. But the door hinges they used all have three wide gaps (about 5 mm wide) in between each hinge, and water leaks out if I shower freely. The installer said there is nothing they can do. Any one have such experience, and found a solution to solve that problem? or any expert can give me some advice?

(see photo)

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Skydell Contracting Inc.
    7 years ago

You might be able to find some self adhesive silicone gaskets that could be installed when the door is open. It might be trial and error until you find the perfect fit that will not come off over time.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

How much water can be leaking from this hinge?

• PRO
    Furnishr
    7 years ago

Considering the fact that this is indeed a hinge, it may be very difficult to find a way to fill that gap. An alternative could be to put a bathroom rug right in front of the shower to absorb any escaped water.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

It's the clunkiest hinge I have ever seen, but seriously? I doubt water will escape. You need to step out on a mat, put one there : )

• PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    7 years ago

I doubt you will be able to fill these gaps without interfering with the hinge mechanism. This looks like a pretty standard hinge for a glass shower enclosure. Try aiming the shower sprays away from the hinges. Body sprays should have adjustable heads so they can pointed away from doors and openings. You cold ask the installer if they can substitute another hinge that will fit the cut-out. C L Laurence is a big supplier in this space. Their web site is a dog, but here's a link to their hinges: http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/default.aspx?GroupID=39379&History=39326::39379

• tatts
    6 years ago

TMK: You're right. 1994 called and they want their website back. Yikes!

Back to the topic...5mm is not that large, especially when the alternative is not 0mm, but 2mm or 3mm. There's also the gap between the glass panels to consider. Aim the spray at one of the other 3 walls in the shower.

• joanne dilacqua
    2 years ago

Has anyone heard of major water leaking from these hinges? I mean leaking to bottom foyer causing damage to sheetrock....we have a customer that swears the leak is from the tile and not this hinge along with a neo angled shower and seamless glass...we aimed a hand held to hinge and the water went into foyer but Customer still swears its the tile

• Bob Oveissi
    7 months ago

I have the exact same issue. Installa was just 3 days ago. Pointing the shower head away from the door doesn't work because water still boincesbounces off the body

• Bob Oveissi
    7 months ago

This comment section is glitchy.

• acm
    7 months ago

This thread is 7 years old...

• Bob Oveissi
    7 months ago

Yes. I know. But was hoping to see an amswer, as my install just occurred

• acm
    7 months ago

Then post a new thread, so that the answers get emailed to you and not to this poor person! and so that people don't roll their eyes when they see the thread date.

• Bob Oveissi
    7 months ago

They can roll their eyes iif they'd like. Instead of telling me what to do, maybe a message about the answer would be best. I will move on. God bless...

• sdasilva7628
    5 months ago

Bob, my dad has the same exact problem with his shower door hinges. I came here to see if anyone had some real solutions, such as silicone seals or something similar, but all I see are smart ass responses and suggestions of rugs to catch the water, which does not prevent the problem from happening at all. I guess I’ll have to keep looking.