Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peridot821

Help me decorate my house (excuse mess)

peridot821
7 years ago

Assuming you couldn't change anything major like flooring etc … How would you decorate these spaces to make them more pretty. :)

Comments (24)

• stardust 23
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Looks so cozy. I agree. Curtains, lamps and end tables would help. Have you any thoughts or ideas on these so far?

peridot821 thanked stardust 23
  • jill302
    7 years ago

Addition to the comments above I would add a few pillows that include an accent color such as the blue from your rug.

peridot821 thanked jill302
  • Arapaho-Rd
    7 years ago

Lovely home....once your Xmas decorations are down it will help to view the room as is. Can you look at photos of rooms and find some that you consider pretty? What do they have that you don't? Is it color or accessories?

peridot821 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • peridot821
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks. :) I think you all said exactly what I am wanting... a lamp and curtains in sitting room and colorful pillows in living room. I have a HUGE window in the living room so I don't know about curtains in there!

again, excuse the MESS... I have 4 kids ages 2 to 13. ;)

• hamamelis
    7 years ago

What a lovely reason. I have no kids at home and am jealous. I always leave the toys out for a few days after our grandkids visit. Curtains framing those big windows don't have to be able to close and cover them. Actually, most don't these big-window days.

• hibiscus909
    7 years ago

Looks pretty so far, actually!

I'm a gardener/plant-lover, so I'm always looking for green. Looks like you don't have any plants. Especially with that big window; I can totally see a banana there! Or palm.

Maybe a mirror somewhere?The window on the wall kind of has a similar effect, though. I might actually try to put something behind that glass, though.

It seems a little monochromatic, which is fine. Soothing. But I do like the idea of some blue throw pillows to tie in the rug.

• stardust 23
    7 years ago

Maybe also a centerpiece for the coffee table. I agree, plants would look great or even a tree! I think blue curtains or curtains of a color pulled from the rug, maybe ivory, and have them pushed to the sides, would add flavor to the look of the room too.

• Janie
    7 years ago

I'm not one of those who can give decorating advice, but I just would like to say keep the kids and dogs and things will continue to be a comfortable environment as it is now :) Hamamelis comment about keeping the toys out after the grands leave really hits home. When our first granddaughter (she's now 23) came to visit from a 6 hour trip, I cried every time she left :(

• peridot821
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone. And don't worry, this is my current view in my basement. Kids definitely rule this place.

Of course, we just moved back into our house after having to move out for 3 months due to a flood. But on top of that, my young 42 year old husband is battling stage 4 cancer.

So my advice to you all with grown kids and grandchildren... be so thankful for what you do have.

• Janie
    7 years ago

Bless you, Peridot, and wishing your husband a good outcome in 2017.

peridot821 thanked Janie
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

I am so sorry to read about your husband :( I don't know if that's him in the picture but when I saw him (man in the photo) I thought to myself, that's a man with a heavy heart :( I had to go back and "touch" his image on my screen. I pray that he is able to survive the cancer and give God the glory.

• Arapaho-Rd
    7 years ago

Oh Peridot, blessings to you, your husband and children in 2017. I am so sorry for what you are all going through. Praying for all. Your name - Peridot - does that mean you like that color? Maybe that is your choice for an accent color. Beautiful and serene.

• peridot821
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Monica, yes that is him. Unfortunately his prognosis is not good. We started palliative care a few weeks ago. He has another scan on Thursday, after 3rd line chemo treatment. 1st and 2nd treatments have been unsuccessful. We've yet to have a scan that does not show spread, but here's hoping.

Arapaho, peridot is my birthstone. :) However, I've never been too fond of the color. Ive always loved the August birthday, but would much rather have been an aquamarine. :)

• peridot821
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And my basement is spic and span. Until tomorrow. ;)

• hooked123
    7 years ago

Peridot- I am so sorry that your husband is so ill. (((Hugs and Prayers)))

peridot821 thanked hooked123
  • Gooster
    7 years ago

@peridot -- I'm so sorry to read of his prognosis. May all the strength and prayers be with you and your family.

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

Peridot, I just want to say how sorry I am that your DH is so ill. I will keep you all in my prayers and hope that he can beat this. Bless you.

• G Sm
    7 years ago

Peridot-- I'm really sorry to hear how ill your DH has been and all your family has been through.

It's a bit of an investment, but I have these sea grass baskets everywhere for storage:

I use the "high" size and also sometimes cram in Rubbermaid bento box storage containers so that inside I can have dividers to contain my kid's tchotchkes. I have 4 kiddos too almost the exact age range as yours, so I completely understand the "stuff"!

I think I have possibly tried every single toy storage solution out there, and this one has been the most organized, indestructible (!!!!) and pretty. And straightforward enough for 2 and 4 year olds to use but not fall into or bonk themselves, etc. I use the natural Seagrass colored ones and I think it is a warm but natural accent color that may look nice with your neutral color scheme and warm walls. The super large sizes are wonderful to dump blankets and throws!

Strength and peace to you. You're in my thoughts.

• lisa_mocha
    7 years ago

Peridot, I just also wanted to say I'm so sorry for to hear what you & your husband are going through. Keep the faith...there can be miracles:) My dad also diagnosed with stage 4 cancer this year...keeping hope and positivity so important.

I love so many things about your home. Beautiful living room window! I can't advise on window treatment, but I think lovely on its own with the treed view:)

I also love the table with the clear vase & window pane and your fireplace.

As others have said, I think you just need a few accent cushions to bring in some colour. . Homegoods and online at Etsy a great place to look.

Also agree with end tables and some lamps for more layered lighting. A few decorative pieces on the coffee table...even placed in a large tray so could easily be removed when the kids are playing.

It will all come together beautifully:)

I wish you & your family well. Stay strong. Sending prayers and a hug your way:)

• jlj48
    7 years ago

You have a beautiful home. Praying for your husband...

• texanjana
    7 years ago

Peridot, thinking of you and your husband and children and praying for healing of his cancer.

• raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    7 years ago

Peridot, didn't want to read and run........sending prayers and hugs to you and your family x

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Well, depending on your taste, splurge on some nice warm curtains for the window. Prayers going out for you and your hubs. Don't sweat too much about the decorating because it looks like you have a great room there! Instead, get what is simple and easy for you to add to ping up your morale a bit. The main things we find that helps us feel cozier in our home are light, (you might want to splurge on a decorative glisteny or naturey one, I have one with a nature themed lampshade that glows and brings a bit of the outside to the inside) cuddly throw blankets, scents (bought a diffuser) humidity (a small fountain is a possibility but only if it is low maintenance and you like it) plants (kalanchoe is great this time of year for flowers and color, or an amaryllis which you could get on sale maybe) and music.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio