Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragontears197842

Quite a few plants, need advice on helping them

Hi all,

Went to Lowes today and as I have the "succulent addiction" now even though a beginner I found quite a few but They only had one good pot, and one pot marked for a dollar with a variety of plants and yes you guessed it They aren't in the best health but I know they CAN be saved.

I just need the advice on exactly what would be the best course of action.

#1 is a leaf cutting. #2 there are no new growths on the stem bumps where past leaves were. The bottom 2 leaves have black on bottom. #3. I believe is a jade plant the very top is calluses completely. There are only the two leaves. The bottom most section seems a bit dry feeling. Don't know if it's what's known as bark like And normal.

#4. Above. Leaves are limp because of lack of care and are scarred but the small growth on top is new and seems like it will split into two leaves.

#5. Same as number 4 but no split in New growth

#6 seems to be the healtier of the group leaves on other side have some marks but not to bad

# 7. The big guy. Healthy as far as leaf strength but they are marked up and one had a couple brown bumps.

1- 7 we're in the same pot. I just need the advice on best course of action for these ones

If I'd is possible that would be cool but not necessary

----------------

These next few were in the discard pack. I had to rescue the for at least practice in propagation.

the 3 in the pot have root balls but only 1 quarter of the plant on the stem.

For any needs the plants have for propogating if needed I have new soil and pots for them. I also now have rooting hormone. So all needs can pretty much be met that way.

Care wise I am doing decent in my opinion for a beginner.

All help is appreciated

Comments (5)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Rooting hormone is not necessary; I am sure some use it but majority don't. I used it many years ago, but didn't see any improvement in rooting - that was not for succulents either.

Plants with roots should have peaty soil cleaned off the roots and pot into well-draining mix. After day or two, I would start watering when needed. #1 seems to have stem, so it is not a leaf cutting. #4 looks like it was cut or broken on top, so it will grow new branches from there (original stem does not continue growing, but new branches will). Regardless, most of them look like jades. Once they recuperate and growth is healthy, it may be easier to give exact ID.

Plants without roots should be callused, and potted into well-draining mix. No roots - no water.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago

You've found some nice cuttings & are off to a good start. Rina's given you excellent guidelines.

But pls. tell us, will your growing situation allow you to give these plants a lot of bright, direct sun? That's key to growing these.

• socks
    7 years ago

Use very small pots, potting them individually, following advice given above. This will be a fun project to see what you can do with these struggling plants.

• Jodie. Zone 6a? RI.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have the lamps with the New LED lights that are 5000k and 100watt equivalent. My other plants I have, and asked about in other posts are doing better since getting them but are still transitioning to the brightness and light quality.

old light typ up top. New down bottom. There are more plants in back of those pots. (they hide well but the light is over the top so they all get light)

50/50 cactus succulent soil/perlite mix (maybe a bit more perlite as I mix a bit more in as potting. And the water after a couple days from potting with the root ones. Sounds like a plan!

Will do as advised with new plants. Reporting them in a few minutes. I also bought a nice healthy new plant but I don't want to show that one right now until I repot it and it's friends and I'll show them all together. :-)

Edit: the white crap you see outside is a snowstorm we are having. There is heat over there more than the rest of the room as the heater is below the window and I turned the heat up in response to it getting colder outside.

• Jodie. Zone 6a? RI.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I reported the plants last night and here they are

these are the smallest pots I have right now. Only a couple are to big..

3 of the plants are sagging pretty bad should I water them today or wait till tomorrow and do it with the others and just put them under the lights?

here is the newest addition to the family besides the cuttings. And the 11 babies (1 off camera) the tag that came with it says Haworthia fasciata. Edit: and the plant tag lied. So if anyone can help identify the newbie I'd appreciate it.