Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lackerez

1997 Golden Oak cabinets finally gone. Yeah 2017! Now what?

lackerez
7 years ago

Finally updated Golden Oak Cabinets. Professionally painted with Simply White. What color to use now for the Kitchen/family room? Was two colors before but think one is better? Next up ideas for Fireplace mantels deco?

Comments (81)

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Would be nice if art had a bit of mosaic's gold/amber. I'm not an expert, but seems art should be as wide as the firebox.

Abstract 1811807 Reproduction, Unframed loose canvas · More Info

lackerez thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Expressionist....

Brook House · More Info

• jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    The fireplace is a tailored classic: leave it alone and cleared of mantel additions. The adjacent case, however, is competing with the fireplace. It should be moved, or painted the wall colour.
    lackerez thanked jbtanyderi
  • lackerez thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Window look in iron / not 'too much look' for your whole fireplace is it.... seems like your lighting type some....?

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/jill-mirror/wall-decor/mirrors/all-mirrors/362730

• lackerez thanked everdebz
  • lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So we have moved the black cabinet. Great advice. Thank you. I always thought it was a bit off. I will post updated pics. The mosaic around the fireplace has no gold in it. It is a combination of greens, brown & beige. It matches the sectional which is not really olive green my daughter says army green but I don't think it is that at all. Some sort of green with dark brown and beige pillows. I thought the mosaic looked sort of art deco like and I have always been drawn to that. Again I am fine with changing that out at some point.

Love the chair! Wish it was in the budget right now. I have a thing for chairs. It reminds me of one I really wanted to buy this holiday. It had a cool fur thing on the top and the bottom had French writing. I did not buy it but wish I had. Saw it at an art fair. It was just fun.

We like classic with a touch of whimsy. I guess transitional style. I also like the suitcases. We love to travel. After this is done I want to do a gallery wall on another wall that has some of the art we have purchased and have never framed from trips.

As for the old door, it also is a story. Always wanted the barn door which I know is super trendy. We did not have a pantry and we carved one out of some space & took out our '90 era kitchen desk and four very deep impossible to find things in kitchen cabinets. The door was a find. There is a College kid in our town that takes old doors and repurposes them. He makes coffee tables, wall hangings etc. We went to him and after spending a fun time sorting through his many doors we found this beauty. He took out the top panel and added the numbers. I wanted 9 3/4 . He talked me out of it. Our two peeps both have Bdays on the 14th of the their bday months so there you go. I may switch out the 14 to 9 3/4 at some point. More fun.

Thank you for all the great ideas! We really appreciate it.

• lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hoping to get some paint samples today. Then will start a new thread to see what the Houzz experts think. Thank you for the great advise. ( love to see the rug that was suggested)

• lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Didn't quite make it to the paint store today. Hoping on Wed. Thanks for all the advise

moved the black cabinet. Any ideas on new lights?

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

That little light by the fireplace makes no sense. You could replace it with a better sconce, but it will still be out of place.

• lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes the sconces. The builder put them around the space. We like the light just not the look. I will post the sectional in the am. The teen is studying on it now.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

Maybe floor lamps? Great for reading.

• everdebz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Looks 'old' and 'new'?

Kichler Brinley 1-Light Wall Sconce, Old Bronze · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Depends on paint -- not too dark with right paint? or lighter shade...

Sea Gull 41260-710, Stirling Wall Sconce, Burnt Sienna · More Info

• lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Really like both those options. I know the two clocks is a little much. The record clock is David Bowie my son's favorite artist. It is fun. Thank you

• lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is a picture of the sectional that is in the family room. It backs up to the open kitchen. We have not seen anything but gray skies in the past week so hopefully you can tell the color.

• lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

In one of the earlier posts you can see the back of it in the kitchen picture. Thank you so very much for taking the time to give us ideas. This is not one of my strong suits.

• joessis
    7 years ago
    Love your kitchen and how fabulous and smart to save the old door.
    lackerez thanked joessis
  • pdjh
    7 years ago
    First, thanks for posting the pics of your kitchen! We have been thinking of painting our honey oaks cabinets, and this is great inspiration! Ours are identical to yours (raised panel) except we have visible hinges, which I would switch to hidden in the event we paint. Did the company that painted yours use a spray-on lacquer paint? Did the take the doors off-site to paint? Any comments or advise about the painting? Second, regarding your question, from your pics it appears your backsplash and tiling on the fireplace has some taupes and smokey blues. I might be inclined to pick up a paint colour there. I visualize a smokey blue, not too dark. If your windows in the room face north, you might want to go with a slightly warmer tone, if they face south you might want to go a little cooler. Great job!
    lackerez thanked pdjh
  • lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi color must be really off in my pics. There is not really any blue in the fireplace or sectional. It is green with Browns. The slate backsplash to me doesn't seem blue at all.

As as far as furniture we have most of it. The kitchen table is black. The sectional is green. The rest of the family room has two computers in an L shape. IKEA simple clear computer tables glass for kids to do homework. It is an open space don't want too much clutter

only place to maybe add a chair would be where we moved the black case next to the fireplace.

Going to paint the kitchen maybe the family room. I would like a new painting and new lights. The old paint in the kitchen too yellow for the new white cabinets.

My thanks to everyone. Will follow up with the cabinet info shortly.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

My comment was that with little bits of blue [art, chair] it could cool the wood vibe. And that blue is great with white in view [of kitchen]. Somehow thought you needed a chair....

• lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love chairs. Really liked the one with the French writing on it you posted. Will take a look at the other options. Thank you

• lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Pdjh,

Thanks for the nice words. We found the company through our Neighborhood area website next door. Got 4 recommendations. After looking at three choices we went with them They used Simply White BM Satin. They took the doors off on a Sunday to spray at their location. Came back on Wed to do trim and beadboard. Finished with the doors and touch ups on Friday.

The room faces South West on the largest side with most of the windows and sliding door. One small window faces North East.

• pdjh
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the painting info! And since you are facing south-west I am still going to vote for a steely blue, or grey blue colour for the walls, not too light and not too dark. Something with a cooler undertone. If you've got some greens in your tile work and furniture, I think it would work nicely without being too matchy-matchy. I know there's an old saying that says "blue and green should never be seen", but it is my fav colour combo (and so I'm a little biased). Happy decorating!
    lackerez thanked pdjh
  • Sandybean
    7 years ago
    Try Ben Moore Revere Pewter on your walls. If you must have a clock on mantel then leave the record clock, but not two clocks. What was the builder thinking with the light on the fire place wall? I would also change the tv nook. Maybe do away with frame and fill up area with shelving.
    lackerez thanked Sandybean
  • lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Revere Pewter is one of the four colors I got test samples of. I am getting boards to paint since I read here that is the best way to check around the rooms. Can't speak for the builder and the lights but they go all around the family room. We like having the light in the room even if they lights don't look that great. Just wondering why you do not like the TV nook?

• Sandybean
    7 years ago
    All of that empty space above the tv just looks like an unfinished area to me. If you fill with shelves you could still keep the tv there. Also be sure to paint it the same as walls. I would actually recommend having it dry walled in.
    lackerez thanked Sandybean
  • lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Actually it was to have shelves. The TV stand was to be temporary and husband never got around to getting the shelves done. Thanks for the input but we like having the space. The TV is not in our living space or hanging on the wall. Thanks so much for the input.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Sconces - how many around the room? Asking cause I thought later that a 2-light sconce might prevent a skimpy look, if on large expanse of wall.

• lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

There are 4 around the room. Love the comment on the shelves I am hoping this gets that other peep in my house to work on finishing it. We are on day 8 of grey skies where I live it is really making me rethink how grey I want my walls. Thanks

• lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks was this an idea for the family room?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

A bit of metal around, I think it's nice to repeat it a bit.... but now I can't recall. Actually is anything copper there? Nice with green....seems you have abundant dark wood - feel a need for brighter or lighter or gleam?

New sconces could gleam - not sure you need more dark bronze?? depends on the paint brightness I guess --

Have you thought of more color/ less neutral of paint??

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Hi... thought of your sconce shopping when on this website - he does cool looks:

http://www.rogerandchris.com/lighting

• lackerez
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow those are fun lights. We are still trying to decide color for the walls. Life got a little busy

thank you for these fun ideas

• PRO
    Blinds-US
    7 years ago

The cabinets look really amazing !!!! Great work !!!!!

lackerez thanked Blinds-US
  • trishazatorski
    7 years ago

Your fireplace mantle is very nice, and the multiple tones that are in the tile are great! All I would do is change the floor tiles to something bigger in size and pick a tone that is in the surrounding tiles. A nice marble look is really rich looking and soothing to the eyes... Trisha Z. NJ

lackerez thanked trishazatorski
  • felizlady
    7 years ago
    The fireplace wall is a real problem: the stark white recess with the black tv/stand, the black/glass cabinet, the stark white fireplace, the strange placement of the wall sconce. Things too boxy, too close together, too much contrast. Move the glass-front cabinet away from the fireplace. Put an upholstered chair in its place. Add art with color. Get rid of the clocks. Have 1 or 2 shelves made for the white recessed box and add just a few accessories and books. Can the tv go elsewhere or can you set it on a low wood cabinet (with doors) which is almost as wide as the recessed opening? While I like the wall color very much, it may be too dark and adds to the too-much-contrast problem. The fabric of the suggested chair will add color and texture....a print or tweed fabric with color.
    lackerez thanked felizlady
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

-- so how is it going? :)

Grey skies? -- maybe paint could peep up with more intensity of blue -- about the muted-ness of the sofa, but blue...

Pine Vallley Plan at Victoria | Phoenix, AZ · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

WInecreek · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Golden warms would go with your toasty tones - a dusty blue for paint [from rug]?

Loloi Leyda Rug, Black and Light Gold, 5'x7'6" · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Hi... it's grey here today, there too?! 34.5" across for $90.

Calais Decorative Wall Mirror · More Info

• trishazatorski
    7 years ago

Yeah! I think the shape of the sunflower mirror is nice; though the line design on all petals I think should have been different. Less on the outside ones, would have made it more realistic and even a touch of color would make it eye catching; even if it was the bent petal color. It would have given more dimension. And the one thing I truly believe It should have had, was seed buds around the mirror, not just a smooth surface; adding texture in the center would have made this Beautiful! Like to have seen it made in the USA!..

• joessis
    6 years ago
    I am tho king that fabric already looks dated like 5 years ago already.
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

lackerez -- hi how's it going? :)

• lackerez
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi I didn't realize this thread had come back. Was in my spam. Update that I think shows in pictures up thread. We moved the cabinet. As for color we have not painted yet! Life got in the way. Need to get on that

As for the TV area; back in the day it held an armoire With the smaller TV for the day. Yes it was suppose to now have white shelves to hold the TV. Haven't gotten the handy man who lives in our house to finish. The black unit was temporary. The TV needs to be there. I am never going to put it over the fireplace no other practical place for it

Not sure on the comment on looks dated like five years? Was that for the couch? Probably but right now it is not going to be replaced. It is functional for our family now

We do have a new painting bought on a recent trip for over the fireplace. We need to keep one clock on the mantle. It is functional or we all would be late.

Yes lights are an issue. Not sure what to do about those. We do need the light.

Thanks for all the responses.

• R L Bryant
    6 years ago

Kitchen is really nice in the remodel. Great work! I agree on one color for two rooms that join. Something neutral and light against the dark floors is so beautiful to me. Grays are in now. The paint color requires a little work to select.