Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Need Red Rose That Can Take All Day Sun in Texas

If there is such a rose........I live in east Texas and want a couple of red roses to plant along a fenceline that can take full, all day sun. I water these roses well and mulch with compost and bark mulch but don't want to plant a rose whose blooms will fry in all day sun. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Judith

Comments (14)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Cramoisi Superieur is great from Antique Rose Emporium in Texas.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    7 years ago

Yes, if you want red roses along a fence that can take all-day Texas sun, look at red Chinas.

:-)

~Christopher

• User
    7 years ago

Pat, how big is your Dame de Coeur and what kind of habit does it seem to have so far?

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Red roses are my favorite. Those recommended are all outstanding! I absolutely love them all.

But if you want something different, more like a hybrid tea, Chrysler Imperial loves the heat here, has huge pure red blooms, doesn't fade, smells wonderful and blooms and blooms and blooms. Wonderful for cut flowers in the house too.

Here in California it has no disease at all. Not sure about black spot since that's not usually an issue here.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I can get Dame de Cour at Chamblees, which is close to me. Am sure can get Chrysler Imperial anywhere - and had intended to get that one. I have Cadenza that does well on this fenceline. Cramoisi Superior I have also, planted in another area. Have Crimson Glory in a pot - but not sure I want to subject it to the hottest sun. I have a potted David Austin Benjamin Britton - wondering if this might be a possible choice?

• pat_bamaz7
    7 years ago

Felicity, I planted my DdC last spring as a 1 gallon own root, so still a baby and hard to say how big it will get. It ended the season at 3 ft at most in height and not quite as wide. Seems it will be upright, but bushy if that makes sense...doesn't look like it will be leggy. Alameda, word of warning on DdC color...it starts out a very bright true red and darkens to a blackish red...no orange undertones, but not the "blue" red or "pink" red of many other "red" roses...just something to be aware of for placement if mixing with other reds

Original Author
    7 years ago

I am doing roses of different colors along the fenceline so DdC might look good near a white, a yellow....I was looking at Chamblees website [in anticipation of a possible visit!] and saw a couple of reds that might work - Polonaise, a Buck red that I have in a pot, and Valentine, a very floriferous red floribunda. Desmond Tutu, Heartsong and Kardinal Kolorscape looked interesting - anyone have any experience with them?

• pat_bamaz7
    7 years ago

DdC would look great next to a white or yellow! I have Heartsong on order for spring, but none of the others. Had Chyrsler Imperial years ago, but it blackspots badly here...not sure if you are in the humid or arid part of Texas, so thought I'd mention it. Otherwise, it's an absolutely beautiful rose that does like heat.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    7 years ago

Valentine holds up well to TX heat & sun in Dallas

• barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

Saw Kardinal Kolorscape at Lowe's last year; it's a beautiful clear red. I'd like to try that one but not sure how it would fare in our heat.

The Kordes floribunda Lavaglut (Lavaglow) has been wonderful here. Flushes are impressive and the color stays a deep red brushed with black. The name is so descriptive!

Original Author
    7 years ago

I saw Kardinal Kolorscape last year at Lowes too - was impressed with its bright red color, almost bought it but didn't. Think I will give that one a try this year. I recall Lavaglut being that bright red too. Will be fun to try these - if they fry in the heat, can always move them!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    7 years ago

If you would like a DA rose, go for Munstead Wood. It does fine in my hot, hot garden and it is facing west and gets the brunt of the sun, plus reflected sun from the siding on my house and the cement walkway.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I have a scrawny Munstead Wood in a pot - may put it in the ground and give it a try! If it dies, it dies, can get another. But if it thrives.....hooray! Beautiful photos! What kind of salvia and what was the pink rose in the background? I love that combination of colors, my favorite!