Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grenda

My husband and I are considering renovating our bathroom.

glenda
7 years ago

The home is about 30 years old. The vanity is much too low and don't provide drawers for the two of us. It has a jetted tub and shower but we never bathe and have other bath tubs in the house. We are thinking of extending the vanity, removing the tub and, my husband would love a steam shower. Could I get some opinions on this?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    7 years ago

Those all sound great. Get some contractors in to bid, and figure out if you have the money

glenda thanked 123 Remodeling Inc.
  • User
    7 years ago

The right budget can make all of that happen.

glenda thanked User
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

What sophie said. what options would you like? most important is, 'what's your budget you are willing to spend'? (please don't say 10K) The steam shower alone will be 5-8K

glenda thanked Beth H. :
  • glenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, $5,000 to $8000 is more than I would like to spend, so, perhaps you have answered my question.

• glenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for that information. There shouldn't be extra plumbing for the longer vanity... it would extend where the end of the tub is, presently. $2,000 to $4,000 is more in my budget... I was thinking about $5,000. I guess my husband will have to keep dreaming... the steam shower is out of our price bracket.

• User
    7 years ago

The average master bath Reno is 35-65K. While you may be able to do a new vanity and top within your budget, it would be all DIY labor. You will need to remove the old mirror set against the backsplash to even start the project. And be careful around the floors, and don't break any tile during demo. Also make sure that you are choosing a vanity with a similar toe space, or you will have issues covering that gap. Doing a larger vanity will mean relocating plumbing, as th drains will not line up unless you keep the sinks in the exact same location, with the exact same configuration that exists currently. Whic no one ever did during a renovation.

You want to change things because what you have doesn't work. You want more and better storage. But that has a domino effect of forcing other changes that are touched by the original change. You'll have drywall repair from removing the mirror. So you might as well patch and paint the whole space. And if you're gonna do drywall patching, you might as well move/add lighting so you can see what you're doing getting ready in the morning. But now that you have updated your faucets and lighting, the old tub and shower's trim looks really shabby...,and the old floor grout looks really dingy and dated against the new vanity....and the fan never did work at all well..,

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

We had a jetted tub in our master in our home in Michigan that was used more often by our nieces when they visited than my wife and I ever used it. That thing would suck the hot water tank dry too. Tore it out with the remodel and put in a two person shower.

glenda thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • glenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yikes, I see that you have experienced this before... Well I am going to have to take another look at our budget. There is carpet in the bathroom right now, as the bedroom leads into the bathroom. Yes, I did want to improve the lighting so I can see to put on make up... I was hoping that we could keep the shower in the same place, just improve it. Raise the cabinet and extend it to provide for drawers for both of us.. Basically, I assumed that the sinks would be in the same place... Thank you for giving me more to think about.

• PRO
    Karen Hockley CKD,CBD, CAPS
    7 years ago

Have a contractor give you an ideal of what your perfect bathroom would cost in your area. I would not invest $4,000-$5,000 if this does not help you achieve what you are looking for. Sometimes it is better to save, and then get the full bathroom renovation you desire. We see this all of the time with partial kitchen and bathroom remodels. You may get 1 thing you were looking for (a new island) or countertops, or vanity, but you still may not have a room that works for you. Best of luck with your project.

It is a domino effect as Green Designs mentioned. You take out the tub, and the flooring needs replaced, the electrical has to be moved, and plumbing and the list goes on and on. Everything has an effect.

glenda thanked Karen Hockley CKD,CBD, CAPS
  • glenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You have given me food for thought, that is for sure.

• glenda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Joseph. I think you are quite right. The jetted tub does take a ton of water.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!