Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindij4

Need living room advise

Cynthia Johnson
7 years ago
We just moved here a couple of months ago. I've always loved my iron and glass coffee table in my other house. The black base doesn't like right here tho. A friend suggested I paint it a flat grey/silver or brass/gold. What do you think? Also should I put some art on the wall near the fireplace? I don't want it to look too busy. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Cynthia Johnson
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Another picture
  • jck910
    7 years ago

Move the loveseat closer to the sofa, so the arms almost meet. Put the coffee table no more than 18" away from sofa. Right now it is in no man's land. TV is too high and you could use a more substantial mantle.

• PRO
    Laura's Home Staging
    7 years ago

I think the table would look nice in a pale grey/blue. I can't really tell from your photo the true color the chair by the window, I think it's blue. Painting the table base a paler hue of the chair could help tie the room together. As for artwork, maybe hanging 3 small pieces to the left of the tv with make the tv look less stark on the wall.

• Cynthia Johnson
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The chairs by the window are blue. The space between the sofa and the love seat is our walk through. I will try the coffee table closer. The mantle is a special piece of live edge wood and we would not want to change it. I hate the tv but it's staying too.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

i think the room is fine as is. everything else is a black base, so I don't know if painting the table is right. I would think maybe a rectangular table would fit better with the furniture, but it's not a biggy. The plant that's sitting on it could use a drink though!

• Cynthia Johnson
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Beth. I was wondering about a rectangular table too. What style color would you suggest? I think the plant needs to be repotted. It's a heavy drinker and gets a drink every other day-way more than any of my other plants...
  • Cynthia Johnson
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Also- I follow you Beth H! I love your style. I was hoping you would chime in. What do you think I should do above my bed in the master?
  • Katharine Flanders
    7 years ago
    I have some suggestions:
    First, remove the coffee table - temporarily- and turn the rug. Bring both sofas slightly onto the rug, bring both blue chairs and their table onto the rug so you have a conversation grouping.
    Do the sofas recline? If so, the coffee table may need to be in another place.
    Move the lamp and stand that are in the corner to the space between the two sofas. That way guests have a place to set books, drinks, remote control, etc. Move the standing lamp to the far right of the sofa facing the fireplace. Bring that fabulous big standing lamp at the window over to the vacant corner on the right hand side of the sofa facing the window. By the way, I love your windows and drapes! Next, place the large palm on the floor in that corner between the windows. The plant on the coffee table can go on the tea cart in front of the window. On the mantel, remove the small clock and the shell. They are too small for the area. Do you have a stand for the horn, or can you get one...maybe on Wayfair? Now take a photo and critique the results. Lastly, please keep us all updated!
  • Cynthia Johnson
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Katharine! When you say "turn the rug"- you mean have it run long side vertical to the fireplace? The problem with moving that small table and lamp to the space between the sofas is- that's the natural walk through to the living room seating from the rest of the house. Otherwise we will have to walk all the around the sofa to get into the area... but I want to try your suggestions. I will look for a stand for the horn (which is a family heirloom.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

I was going to say the same thing, but then I figured you guys probably walk through there to get to the sofa! otherwise you have to walk all the way around.

• Cynthia Johnson
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That is bead board in the master Beth. I love your ideas! Do you know a good source for the reclaimed wood? We live in Oregon. I love the white washed wood look and the chevron style!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

well you live in the perfect state for it. I would check craigslist . you can also check craigslist for leftover wood flooring. we actually did our ceiling in the bathroom with a french oak. the lady bought too much and let it go for a song.

the room is still under construction, but it spans about 16ft.

you don't need much (maybe a few boxes) which is often what people have left over. lots of options. some people even do pallet wood (it's free!) but that requires a lot more work and cleaning.

search "reclaimed wood headboard wall" or "reclaimed wood wall" on Pinterest for tons of ideas and links for how-to's.