Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

My Cymbodiums don't bloom

bill_ri_z6b
7 years ago

I have two mature Cymbidiums that were in bloom when I bought them several years ago. They are definitely mature (8+ years that I've had them, and they were already in bloom when I bought them!). They grow new pseudobulbs every year, at least two each. The leaves are green and healthy. They get good light, warm days and cool nights in winter, outdoors in summer. I feed the with a weak food every 2-3 weeks when growing. They just don't bloom. My oncidiums and cattleyas do fine and bloom every year.

Comments (3)

• James _J
    7 years ago

Here are a few suggestions.

Not cool enough in the winter? I let mine get to 40 degrees for a few weeks in the fall before moving inside.

Not enough light.? Tough to gauge, they will take full sun but will need shade with high temps, Full sun at 70 degrees is fine but if it is hot they will need shade. You also need move from shade to light gradually or you will get leaf burn.

Not enough fertilizer? Maybe but not likely, they are heavy feeders but I think light and temp are bigger factors.

• tiarella
    7 years ago

Cymbidiums are terrestrial plants and can grow in potting soil bark mixture. They adore the cold weather; tolerating temps near freezing. Cover with sheet or pillowcase when temps drop lower or move to unheated cold garage temporarily until temps rise again. They also like water, water and more water. They grow in the Himalayas at high altitudes with direct sun for at least part of the day with their roots in cold wet snow. Leaves should be a lighter green almost yellow; dark leaves indicate not enough light. Like to summer outdoors. Avoid hot noon time sun; morning sun is best. Fertilize with a weak solution 1/4 strength 3 weeks in a row then 4th flush repeatedly with plain water. Do not let them dry out completely. Need a cold chill for at least one month at temps between 35-45 to initiate spikes. Flowers are on new growth. Divide with at least 5 pseudobulbs per division. Easy to grow in northern climates.

• arthurm2015
    7 years ago

Yes, some are not so easy in warmer climates. But then again there are the so-called warmth tolerant types bred so they would flower in Florida.

If you had a name, it might be possible to say which type you have.

But seeing that you got blooms for a couple of years your problem may be due to some cultural problem, the usual reason for no blooms is not enough sunlight.