Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicajohannesen

Need Help Choosing a Climbing Rose Zone 6b

Jessica Johannesen
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I live in York PA zone 6b.

I am looking for a climbing rose, repeat blooming that is going to be able to climb up the side of my house and drape onto my useless balcony. (pictures below).

Ideally, I want a classic looking red rose but disease resistance and the ability to grow 15-20ft is more important. I dont care about smell at all.

The spot I want to plant it is at the corner of my house and gets morning shade and lots of afternoon sun. Definitely a full sun spot.

I was looking at Etoile de Hollande but it seems that no one in the USA is selling it and I really don't know enough about choosing the right rose to know if that is the best choice.

I have grown New Dawn in the past at a different home and know it is a vigorous grower but I'd like to pick something different this time.

Do you have any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

I do not live in a climate which is anywhere close to yours, so I can't help, except to say that that appears to me to be the PERFECT place for a climber!

You need a rose which is a cold hardy climber - I believe there are lots on the market, but living in CA I never think about them. I know there are breeders who breed nothing but cold hardy roses. Even though you are in zone 6, I think that would be very important, because your rose would be exposed to the elements all winter, and you would not be able to bury it or wrap it up. You would want the climbing canes to survive winter as much as possible.

Hopefully someone who lives in a cold region will see this. Also, you can contact your nearest Rose Society, and ask them. Good Luck - great idea!

Jackie

Jessica Johannesen thanked jacqueline9CA
  • jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

Yes the Explorer Series is one of the things I was trying to remember the name of. Quadra is one of those, specially hybridized to be cold hardy. HMF says it is cold hardy to zone 3!

Jackie

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

I had a MAC for 7-8 years, lost it to a cold winter, the tallest it got was about 12'. Since you're in a warmer zone, it should grow taller for you. I am getting 4 more this year, planted 1 last summer.

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/us/mme-alfred-carriere-english-climbing-rose

I am also getting 2 Sombreuil this year, I think your 6b zone should be able to grow this lovely rose too:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.32937

I know one rose will grow that tall in zone 6b, I have them in my yard, more than 10. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkQyt4QxtuM

Is that beautiful!?! It just has a little more bigger rose thorns...... :-)

Jessica Johannesen thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • brytanica1
    7 years ago

I'm in zone 6a, so we have a smiliar climate. I have a Blaze Improved and really like it. Very winter hardy, never any issues with disease. It chugs away like crazy with nary any BS. It grows fast, NEVER stops blooming, is always covered in bright red flowers. Its a machine. My only gripe is no scent, but you said that's not an issue for you.

Jessica Johannesen thanked brytanica1
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Quadra is great!

Jessica Johannesen thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Jessica Johannesen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@brytanica1 do you think Blaze improved would have trouble reaching 15-20 feet?

• jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

MAC and Sombreuil are both white. If you want one of them, I would recommend Sombreuil (aka Colonial White), because it is said to be a wichuriana (sp?) hybrid (NOT a tea rose - there is a tea rose called Mlle. Sombreuil with which it has been confused), which would mean it is cold hardy. MAC is a tea/noisette, and that would make it WAY less cold hardy.

I love both of them. My Sombreuil has climbed up to the roof of our 3 story house, so I know it is very vigorous. Pic below. Oh, the red rose in the pic is Blaze (regular, not "improved"). HMF says improved Blaze is cold hardy to zone 3, and it is definitely red. HMF says it can be 15 feet tall. My regular Blaze is at least that tall also.

Jackie

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    7 years ago

Blaze (any form) and Sombreuil will need spraying. Quadra doesn't, but won't get that tall. I'm having a hard time coming up with a red rose that will be hardy and healthy enough to cover that wall. Light pinks are fairly common, but not red.

Jessica Johannesen thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

I never spray my Sombreuil or my Blaze, and they stay clean except at the very end of Fall, when the old leaves are a mess anyway.

Oh, what about Altissimo? It is red, and there is a climbing version.

Jackie

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida