Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feagles

Window above kitchen sink - yay or nay?

feagles
7 years ago
Help! Hubby and I have been debating this for weeks - whether to put a window above the kitchen sink as part of our renovations. It would be south-facing, looking out to the end of our driveway and some planting in front of our fence with the neighbour and will be a variation to our contract which cost an extra NZ$3.5K. We are sold on how it looks from the inside but do have lots of other windows providing light as well so could live without it if need be. However our issue is that the existing exterior cladding on that wall is brick and the theme around the original house is to have weatherboard above and below window cavities. But we think retaining the brick to the left looks a bit funny as it is such a narrow strip and makes the window appear off-centre from the outside. Any advice on whether to bother with putting in this window is hugely appreciated!!

Comments (30)

• latifolia
    7 years ago

Are you very short or do you use a wheelchair? If not, either you won't be able to see out the window without stooping, or you won't be able to reach the cabinets.

It might be worth asking an architect for creative solutions.

feagles thanked latifolia
  • Steven
    7 years ago
    It looks good even with the brick to the left. I would put it down to the price. If you were actually concerned then remove the brick. However I like how this looks as illustrated.
    feagles thanked Steven
  • Bailey R
    7 years ago

I absolutely hate sinks that face a wall ! It's a deal breaker for me. I lived in a house for one year with the sink facing a wall. .... never again.

feagles thanked Bailey R
  • skmom
    7 years ago
    I like a asymmetrical look of the window from the outside! I think it suits the house as it's not one that has a traditional mirror image type of look going on anyways.

I enjoy having a window over the sink. Even in my last house where the neighbor's bathroom window about 10 ft away was my view... I planted a lot of plants there anyways. I still enjoyed having the window there. My current home has a much nicer view from the kitchen sink window.
    feagles thanked skmom
  • PRO
    Rob's Home Improvements
    7 years ago
    Yes. The light allowed will make a tremendous difference. It also provides a spot for accessories, ie small plants/flowers or "knicknacks".
    feagles thanked Rob's Home Improvements
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

i vote sink. Giada has one like that on her cooking show. I love it.

feagles thanked Beth H. :
  • KK Johnson
    7 years ago
    Do it, you will love being able to look out and the extra light is always a good thing. Our old condo had a window just like this above the sink, our had two smaller sliding windows at the end which were great for clearing the room or allowing a breeze in on those nice days. I would make sure at least one of the kitchen windows allowed you to open it. Not sure if you can really see what I am taking about but here is a photo of our old kitchen and the window, the middle was solid glass but the ends were sliders.
    feagles thanked KK Johnson
  • Belahn
    7 years ago

This window is so low that it seems like you wouldn't even be able to see out of it. However, the extra natural light will be great and I would never live in a house that didn't have a window over the kitchen sink. That's just a deal breaker for me. I vote for the window even if it is small.

feagles thanked Belahn
  • Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

If I could have a window over our K sink, I would! On the opposite side of our K sink is a walk-in shower so inside of wall chock full of plumbing. Our north-facing K could definitely use the light a window would provide, but I hate having my vision blocked at ~30" (standing ~6" away from 24"D counter). I like being able to rst my eyes by letting them focus at a distance periodically. And with your greenery down driveway, you have a pleasant view.

feagles thanked Bruce Crawford
  • wacokid
    7 years ago
    Giada has a kitchen window, I have never noticed it.....
  • Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

Giada definitely does. And I forget her name, but the chef from KY does, too.

• Andrea
    7 years ago
    If you don't put in a window you might want to ensure there is enough room for your head when you do dishes. A windowless wall is one thing but with cabinets you will need to check their height.

I had this but there were only smaller higher cabinets over the sink. Btw I hated it and would never buy a house with the sink against the cabinets again
  • wacokid
    7 years ago
    Bruce,, I was joking,,, Giada? get it?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

bruce has been married too long wacokid. ;)

• Gloria H.
    7 years ago
    Big window for sure!
  • wacokid
    7 years ago
    So have I, that is why I never noticed the window.....
  • Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

wacokid, I got the Giada thing. My wife watches her show all the time. Beth H., Valentine's Day was our 47th anniversary. Don't tell my bride that's too long. Since she retired Oct. 2, 2015, she's been cooking some awesome meals in K we reno'd 2014-15. Tonight we had fresh sea scallops for entreé & cannolis made w/ pizzelle (sp?) machine our son gave her for Christmas. I'm good for a lot more years of this!

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

Beth H., my bride posted this on FB earlier tonight. She apparently took this just before serving them in FamRm when "Victoria" was about to start. Married too long? :-)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

wow! you don't need Giada!

• PRO
    Tara Imani Designs, LLC
    7 years ago

I vote for adding the window-- and make it more vertical/taller so you can see out at standing eye-level (5'-6" to middle of pane above finish floor). Get rid of the cabinet portion directly over the sink as this is impractical and will be a hindrance to workflow. I see the other skinny vertical window off to the left-- that's nice, too. Enjoy your new kitchen!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

IMO that window would serve no purpose except for light it is way too low to see out and that huge wall of cabinets above the sink area would bother me more than the lack of window right now you would bump your head everytime you wash dishes so I would rework that wall to allow for vertical window on that wall just above the sink and cabinets on either side

feagles thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • daisiesandbutterflies
    7 years ago

I agree with Patricia Colwell. I would like a window above the sink, but a vertical window is what you need, without cabinets over the window.

feagles thanked daisiesandbutterflies
  • Kivi
    7 years ago
    I like the look of the sink from the interior, and the exterior. I say go for it !
    feagles thanked Kivi
  • thinkdesignlive
    7 years ago
    Yes for the window and consider moving your sink to the island.
    feagles thanked thinkdesignlive
  • Dale Hadley
    7 years ago

Did you say 3.5K for a window?

• apb0
    4 years ago

Yes to the window. Any south facing window is a dream.

• daisiesandbutterflies
    4 years ago

Any updates? What did you end up doing?

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

Think of the time you spend at the sink and the counter. Having a visual escape hatch is worth whatever it costs.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

The window looks too low for you to look outside. And the cabinets seem like a head accident waiting to happen. Can you move the sink to the island? Or make the window bigger and remove the cabinets?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!