Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petlovermarcie

Need to redo my exterior - need advice please !

petlovermarcie
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We live in a 1962 built Ranch home in Orange County, CA (Southern). We currently have a home that has mostly swirled stucco with some wood siding, The stucco has been on for many many years and large areas are pealing. We need to redo the entire exterior and not sure what to consider? Stucco again or ? We have red brick planters, chimney, ribbons etc. and I don't want to have to redo all of that,. Our drive way is mixed grey shades of cobble stone (except the small city owned part) . Our roof is black.

I would like to modernize the look of our home. I would really appreciate any ideas. (see 2 photos of front and rear) Thank you

Comments (6)

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

Cute house.

If it's just the paint on the stucco that is peeling, you can have it "sand blasted" (they actually use glass) and repainted.

Call some stucco contractors and see what they say.

petlovermarcie thanked lazy_gardens
  • petlovermarcie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you. Unfortunately it's the stucco itself not just the paint. What about a smooth stucco without the swirls that we currently have? Just want a more modern look but out of touch with what that might be.

• petlovermarcie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

bumping up hoping for exterior type siding ideas please....Thanks!

• Debbie Downer
    7 years ago

Keep the stucco, definitely - yeah it does require some occasional maintenance every ... oh, half a century or so... but it really is a quality item. Either patch and repaint, but make it an earthier color that realates better to roof and brick chimney - eg if green, a browner/richer/earthier shade of green. Or if you are resurfacing entire house, they can color the stucco itself to leave you with a more maintenance free surface that has a more of a natural masonry pebbly surface that can be VERY attractive.

Im curious do you know what the original color or finish was? Not that you have to replicate it, but it can be helpful to inform you what the original intention was and look up pictures of other stucco houses of that era - could be Im way off about my inclination toward earthier colors for stucco.

Your houses era/style, midcentury modern, is very fashionable these days and in fact a lot of contemporary architecture and home furnishings replicate or are inspired by that era.... so you really cant go wrong by remaining true to that style.

You say "modernize" but IMHO, getting houses back to their roots and making changes that are harmonious with and true to the original design esthetic is usually the best choice. That in itself will make your house look totally refreshed and "new."

Actually I cant see any sign of swirl marks in the photo - I don't think changing that would have nearly as much impact as repairing the surface & refreshing the color.

BTW, I do agree with above posters that it is a very attractive house as is!

• petlover
    7 years ago

Thank you very much. We have lived here for 23 years so difficult for me to remember what color it was...maybe a light tan. I think the first time we painted it we painted it kind of a grey/blue with white trim. It's now the green you see ( came brighter green than I thought it would). It's been this color for about 9 years so I'm ready for a change in color and will definitely have the stucco repaired as needed before painting. We have a nice, somewhat unique front door that doesn't show in the photo. It's a Dutch door, painted black (can open the top half without opening the bottom half). We definitely want to keep this but receptive to painting it a different color and replacing the hardware. I'm attaching a photo. It's difficult trying to tie color, doors, hardscape into consideration. Luckily, all our windows have been replaced.

Thank you !!