Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_terzini

need ideas for my boring home front.

Jon Terzini
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi. First post.

I need some advice/ideas on what I should do to my 1940's home facade. Right now, it's a large vinyl sided white box and it's boring. The first pic shows how it looks now, and the second picture is just my initial thoughts. I'm not looking to rip all of the siding off, just snaz it up. I need suggestions. Paint? Add something? Can I add wood panelling to the top to break up the space? I'm open but not looking to spend a fortune.

Comments (17)

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

How much is your budget and do you plan on mostly DIY? If DIY do you have experience? Do you just want s quick cheap now fix or do you want inspiration for something nicer to work towards?

• pricklypearcactus
    7 years ago

Here are some ideas:

1. Replace the attic vent with something more prominent and decorative. Alternatively, could you replace it with a window even though I assume it's attic space not living space?

2. Replace the porch light with something bigger and more interesting (as long as it's not so low that it would interfere with the front door).

3. Add decorative railings to the front porch stairs.

4. Consider removing your glass storm door if you don't need it. We had ours for years and removed it when it broke. Our front door is so much more welcoming without the glass in front of it.

5. Replace those boxy shrubs with more interesting landscape. I'm not a landscape expert, but I'm sure someone here could suggest some wonderful plants that would be more decorative and interesting.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

Widen your front steps to match the width of the porch. Are you interested in gardening? Get rid of those shrubs and add a mixed foundation planting and borders on the sides of the walk. Do you know what zone you are in? I could give you plant ideas if you give me your zone or general area.

Is vinyl siding paintable? If so, maybe a sage green?

It is a darling house!

• Fori
    7 years ago

Landscaping. and

The house itself isn't bad. It's pleasing house shape, and the porch actually complements it nicely--so often the angles are off.

Trim would be great but I don't know what can be done with the vinyl.

Can you add window trim? If so, do it a color, and also paint the trim around the door, the columns, and the fascias a color. A wider fascia board would help. And yes--the attic vent should be colored to match and (if possible) made more interesting.

The trim you sketched out doesn't seem to go with the house but a piece lower down to complete the triangle made by the roof (and matching one for the porch that connects the posts) might be nice.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

I would concentrate on the landscaping and the walkway first. A nice lawn does wonders too for curb appeal.

Would put two potted plants on either side of your door if there is enough room.

• User
    7 years ago

You could paint, but If it were me, I would just paint the shutters and door a fun color, change out the mailbox and dormer vent, and maybe beef up the posts a bit. If you really wanted to add some trim, you could frame in the over hang of the door to help define it a bit but I'd still keep it white. I'd actually use the bulk of my budget on landscaping instead because that's where you'll make the biggest impact. IMO, the path through the yard doesn't do anything that helps the look. I'd remove it and instead use pavers to make a rounded path from the steps to the driveway. Depending on the stone you choose, that can be a really inexpensive and fairly easy DIY project. Then I'd pull those bushes out and layer the bed in front of the house with heavy but whimsical flowering like day lillies, they're very low maintenance but beautiful to look at. You could easily add a ring of them around the tree too.

Here's some pics to show what an impact a little landscape and color can make:

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

I wouldn't paint vinyl.

How about wider shutters, some window boxes, and a fun color for the front door?

• graywings123
    7 years ago

I don't like your idea for the stripes at the top; they look arbitrary. You could use a contrasting paint on the columns and (what I think is called) bargeboard of the house and porch and the window sashes. Make a more graceful entrance with wider and deeper steps and a wider, more attractive walkway. Replace the foundation landscaping.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Hi, is your home a Sears home? It almost looks like the Hudson model.

Anyway, depending on your neighborhood and resale or how long you plan on living there, there is much you could do.

Bump out the front, add a porch, or...its endless.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

It's Minimal Traditional which is a recognized American historic style. I would not tack on extra trim. Landscaping, and maybe this, as someone suggested

• Kathleen Squires
    7 years ago

Another vote for removing shrubs and planting fresh landscape. If you replace stairs, make them as wide as the porch with appropriate railing. Don't paint the posts black. Replace attic vent with window or paint to blend in with siding. Not a fan of v trim - IMHO does not improve house at all. Paint front door in a color such as red, yellow - something that pops for you. Also when you are ready; Walkway does nothing for house and gives a worn look to curb view. A new walkway from the drive to the door would be attractive. Nice traditional house. New owner? Congratulations.

• powermuffin
    7 years ago

Just adding the arbor/pergola (?) part of the house in Olychick's picture would make a world of difference. Notice how subtle the colors are on that house. It is just charming. I think your black accents are too stark.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

This is the Sears Somerset which has a wider porch area and roof overhang. The windows are interesting.

Looks like your front yard is nice and deep if you ever wanted to bump out a little porch.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

You want some interest and contrast, but not as much as you're planning. I'd replace that top window with something like is being shown in these inspiration photos, and then add some type of siding to the top "A" part of your house and the porch roof, that contrasts in pattern, yet is the same color. You might not even have to reside the whole house. They make vinyl siding in all kinds of styles now, including fake cedar shakes, board and batten, scallops, etc. Snazz up the window trim too. Hire a good carpenter, one who knows how to do outside trim. It's a skill! Could go with a slightly different color too, like grey or tan or a light color.

Rip out those boring badly pruned yews and get a shrub that remains small in the shape you want without a lot of expert pruning. Globe arborvitae and magic carpet spirea are two examples, there are many others, knock out roses, Mt. Airy dwarf fothergilla, Ms. Kim lilac are some others I have used, but pay attention to the labels and the mature sizes of the plants for the replacements.

• Jon Terzini
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks or all of the wonderful ideas folks, I guess I need to spend some more time thinking about landscaping. I'm better at building stuff rather than letting stuff grow though.

BTW, I live in Indianapolis and I have no idea if this is a Sears home. It's my first home though.

These were all really helpful. I think I'll go back to the drawing board and look at some new directions!

• powermuffin
    7 years ago

If you have visual access to the rafters, floor joists you should see the Sears name on them, if it is a Sears' home.