Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkzzzzzzzzz

Main panel and sub panel just under two bedrooms, EMF level high

kkzzzzzzzzz
7 years ago

The main panel and sub panel are installed in the garage, and when the owner remodel the house, they put the two bedrooms above that area. So around the bed area, the EMF level is above 3, sometimes around 6-7 in the winter time. I supposed that in the summer time it will be much higher since we have to turn on A/C. Question here is, if we move the electrical panels to another corner of the house, is that works? And when we do the rewire stuff, if all these lines will be an issue to increase the EMF level? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• kkzzzzzzzzz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am worrying about the health risk, if the hot spot is not on the bed, I will be OK. However, since ppl might have to stay 8 hours on the bed...

I think the main power line from outside house to the meter is also located in the same area. It might also be the issue.

• mtvhike
    7 years ago

What do you mean when you say the EMF level is 3? 3 What? What is the proven threshold for health risk and what is your source of information?

• kkzzzzzzzzz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Whatever you believe or not, however, over 3-4 mg should be exposure. Even in some European countries, they suggest the EMF level could less than 1.5 mg. And based on the research, in the U.S.A more than 95% houses' AVERAGE EMF level less than 3 mg. However, you should suppose you have to stay on the bed for more than 8 hours per day. That means, if that area is a hot spot, that means you will stay in a high exposure for a long time.

http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/environmental_health/eoha/pdf/emf_fact_sheet_-_2008.pdf

• Ron Natalie
    7 years ago

I suggest you try a medical forum (perhaps one that deals with alternative facts). There's nothing we can do to help with your neuroses in an electrical forum.

The PANEL is not going to be a source:
    1. It's pretty well shielded.
    2. It's a small radiating area.

The issue is the wiring. These are almost always unshielded in most areas (type NM or the like) and they are long and provide a much bigger radiating area (especially necessary when you're talking something extremely low frequency like household current). Any electrician can tell you the coupling/radiation from a long wire is pretty easily detectible. Inside a panel (even with the cover off) not so much.

So if you are really in a panic, use metal conduit or MC cabling.

• greg_2015
    7 years ago

You state the EMF reading at the bed. Have you taken an EMF reading right beside (or a few feet away from) the panels in the garage? You should make sure that your assumption that the panel is the problem is actually true.

Have you looked into buying one of these things that create a safe bubble around you? Safe Space medallion

Personally, I think all of this stuff is nonsense but just like those magnetic bracelets that supposedly cure sea sickness, if it works for you then all the power to you. The placebo/nocebo effect is extremely powerful.

• Ron Natalie
    7 years ago

$75. Wrapping your head in tin foil would be cheaper.

• greg_2015
    7 years ago

Cheaper than moving your panel and rewiring your whole house though!