Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mildred_yi

Built ins for new loft

M Y
7 years ago

We built a loft over our dining room and are planning to add a window bench (with storage) under the 2 existing windows. To fill in the corners, we could add file cabinets, or file drawers with bookshelves to the top of the windows (the second picture is missing the bookshelves on the right). Or maybe go with low bookshelves?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    7 years ago

The last photo with the shelving looks better, IMO. However, I'd make two changes: (1) I'd make the bookshelf go all the way to the ceiling and add crown moulding, and (2) I'd mirror the same shelf/drawer configuration on the other side and skip the door cabinets. Are those drawers under the window seat, or just dummy panels? Pretty easy to make those storage drawers, too, if they are not configured that way already.

• M Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the input. I was worried that bookshelves going to the ceiling would make the space feel smaller? Or do you think that will make them look more like furniture? I like the idea of crown molding on the bookshelves. The bench drawers will be functioning storage. I will be adding a desk to the left side of the loft (not built in because the budget won't allow for it)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    7 years ago

No, I don't think it will make the space feel smaller. Instead, it will make your ceiling seem higher by going all the way up.

• PRO
    Ford & Associates
    7 years ago

I agree to bring the shelves up and mirror each side to be the same. A nice thick bench seat and fun pillows, maybe even some wall lamps attached to the built in to create a cozy reading cove for this room!

M Y thanked Ford & Associates
  • M Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you. Will adding an executive style desk (to the left hand wall) make the loft look cluttered?

• PRO
    Brandy Kendall for Closet Factory
    7 years ago

I like these two tall units flanking the window in the picture, and even though this room does not allow for it, you can imagine how nice a window seating area would work here. The glass allows for decorative items to be displayed, and the closed storage below keeps clutter at bay. Best of luck to you!

• M Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, I like the decorative glass for the bookshelves.

So the loft is 11.5' (wall with windows) x 12' (2 adjoining walls). If I have file storage in the built in cabinets under the bookshelves, I wouldn't need a massive executive desk. Maybe a 6' or 7' desk would work to the left of the window bench wall?

• PRO
    Brandy Kendall for Closet Factory
    7 years ago

Yes, the desk will work nicely. Just be sure to allow clearance for the doors or drawers to open.

M Y thanked Brandy Kendall for Closet Factory
  • Dale Hadley
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I also like the shelves going to ceiling with crown molding tying the two sides together. If your seat doesnt have drawers see if the seat can lift for storage. Sconces on each side of the bookcases (inner side close to bench) would be great.

M Y thanked Dale Hadley
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

A couple of other options:

--Instead of a bench under the windows, build in a desk. Nice to work with a view.

--Or, plan a layout similar to the one suggested by Brandy Kendall with only one chair and the desk floating in front of the window. Your back would be to the window but it would look quite impressive!

M Y thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • M Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

here is another rendition with shelves to the ceiling as suggested on this thread. I do want a bench to be the centerpiece as opposed to a desk which will be a workspace. I forgot to ask the designer to make them the same depth and with glass doors on the upper shelves.

• Dale Hadley
    7 years ago

Pretty. A gooseneck light fixture above each window would look good

M Y thanked Dale Hadley
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 years ago

You could also do something like this and go around windows

M Y thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • Dale Hadley
    7 years ago

I think something tying the top together looks good too

M Y thanked Dale Hadley
  • Bette P
    7 years ago
    I would consider a perpendicular desk on the window wall with your built ins on the sides.
    Platte Park 2101 · More Info
    M Y thanked Bette P
  • Bette P
    7 years ago
    London apartment for LLI Design · More Info

The drawer cabinets are Ikea.
    M Y thanked Bette P
  • M Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago

After all the helpful comments and suggestions, I have decided to hold off on adding anything to the new loft because there are so many good options I had not considered and I need to submit the cabinet order tomorrow.

I will wait for a year after we move back in (the remodel won't be complete until the summer) to see what the best use of the space will be. We lived in our house for a couple of years before doing this remodel and I am glad we did that because it informed our design. It will also give us time to save up for a complete set of office built-ins, if that is the ultimate design.

Thank you to all for the help. I am saving all of your pictures and comments to use when I am ready to design the space.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio