Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frenchcuffs13

Judi Dench rose from Austin.

7 years ago

We'll, she looks like a beauty! I also really like the actress too. Hopefully this hasn't been mentioned already somewhere else.

http://www.hortweek.com/dame-judi-dench-rose-rhs-chelsea-flower-show/ornamentals/article/1426227

Comments (12)

• 7 years ago

It is pretty. I just was looking at the uk site for austin roses. There are a few I really like the look of that are newer, past few years. I'm curious how many years from uk introduction to reach across north america for distribution?

• 7 years ago

First time that I have seen or heard of these 3 roses. Thank you. Love the appearance of all three.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yes, I wonder if they'll be sold here. That apricot just glows, I like the bloom shape too. I've always been leary of Austins for several reasons, but some of the newer ones are worth trying I think. Im not very fond of arching branches, but at only 4ft I'd definitely give Judi a chance! Vanessa Bell is pretty too and looks more upright.

• 7 years ago
  • 7 years ago

It is usually two years from intro at RHS Chelsea until they hit the US, but some never do.

Sarah z8 thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • 7 years ago

Comparing these new Austins to the best of his output thus far....they seem blah to me. Nothing any better just, ho-hum roses. Perhaps they break the disease prone barrier by having great disease resistance, or have extremely profuse flowering powers, outstanding fragrance, and strong stemmed blooms.

It seems that rose breeders are compelled to introduce new roses every year, regardless of the uniqueness or improvements they lack.

Wouldn't it be an amazing phenomenon if David Austin would just sit back and revel in his past great accomplishments and only introduce outstanding roses from now on.

Does putting a celebrity's name on a so-so rose cause that rose to become a favorite of ours just because of its name? Not me.

Sarah z8 thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • 7 years ago

I always look forward to their new offerings, after all they put a reported £1 million annual investment into producing a few roses each year, and usually buy one, but I think I'll pass on these for now... unless I get tempted by Chelsea on the t.v. where they get highlighted... James L Austin is rather a nice colour, a bit unusual I thought... somewhat gallica-like...

Sarah z8 thanked User
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Moses, I don't care what a roses' name is. I just thought others might be interested. I know alot of people really like them. I do like the apricot one. I currently only have 1 Austin the hubby picked last month (Jayne Austin). We'll see how it does. It seems to be a slow starter compared to the others. I'm going to dump alfalfa tea on her this weekend.

Dave, she's in many of the things I watch too! You're wife has good taste! Those are the shows I watch after hubby falls asleep. Lately I've been watching The Paradise on Netflix. I bet your DW would like it if she hasn't already binge watched it!

• 7 years ago

Thanks for the look at these new ones. I also have some of the same questions others have raised about whether these will be sold here in the US. Additionally, I am wondering about the Judy Dench rose and its pretty apricot color. It appears to be similar to another apricot one that I have, Port Sunlight. It also gets close to Carding Mill when it is quite apricot. My Port Sunlight has been a rather dismal failure in my garden. When it bothers to bloom, the flowers are quite small and very few in number. The color is beautiful, the glowing apricot. Carding Mill, on the other hand, has been quite a stellar performer. I have two of them. How would Judy Dench perform? Will we ever know?

How close is Vanessa Bell to Claire Austin in some of her more yellowish moments? Vanessa looks really pretty. Will her flowers last longer than Claire Austin's who shatters rather quickly? Time will tell I suppose.

As for the James L. Austin, how similar is it to Sir Edward Elgar, another great performer for me that can get quite tall? The colors of both appear to be hot pinks, on the order of another rose we know as the HT Electron. David Austin and his people have put out a lot of pink roses of one kind or another. Do we need another one? Admittedly, this one looks quite nice in the picture, but I wonder what its growth habit would be in a warm climate. Will it stay short, or will it get quite large also? I hope we would get the opportunity to find out. Just my thoughts from this corner of the peanut gallery.

Sarah z8 thanked the_bustopher z6 MO
  • 7 years ago

Bustopher- who knows, might just be a close repeat of an older one or perhaps something better (I'm hoping better). I've been tempted many times to get Port sunlight, but keep reminding myself of the dismal experience I had w Evelyn. I know alot of people adore DA's despite the short comings and do well for others. I'm not here to judge. People should grow what they like, I know I do! :)

• 7 years ago

All three are pretty, but the magenta one and the cream yellow look like something we've already seen. I love Judi Dench, though - the actress and the rose. The rose may be just the shade of apricot I've been looking for.

Sarah z8 thanked lauriescreams