Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doriscolemanjones

need help buying gas range for kitchen remodel

Getting rid of my old stove with backer and hugh overhead microwave. Want a 30" free standing or slide in flat gas range with sleek undercabinet range hood. Budget for both is $2600. Saw a GE Cafe range ($2200) but a lot of the reviews complain about loud oven fan, so I'm not buying it. Most ranges I find have stainless steel tops which I can imagine are hard to keep clean and avoid scratches. I looked at a KitchenAid range with black top; reviews were not as bad as GE. I really like the NXR and Thor ranges, but I cannot find any reviews for them. Looking for a range hood that doesn't have writing all over the front of it. Saw a Broan CLDH130SS in Lowes ($369) but there are no reviews, so I assume it's pretty new. Anyone familiar with this new hood?

Thor and NXR ranges are reasonably priced. Is anyone familiar or had experience with either of these?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

=

Comments (7)

• Rs S
    7 years ago
    I have a GE Cafe Range with the large oven and smaller electric bottom oven. Just purchased this past August. There is no loud fan noise. On convection bake of course there is a fan that runs, but I have never noticed it being loud.
    I love the look of this range. I also love how it cooks. Love the simmer and power boil. Baking is even and that bottom baking drawer is perfect for a 13x9 casserole dish when you are cooking for a crowd or just don't want to use the big oven. I also purchased the Cafe fridge with the built in Keurig and I am in love.
    Good Luck on your search. I know how difficult it is!
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

make sure you buy the heat shield/ back piece to protect the backsplash from catching fire (tile over wallboard will still catch fire...) if its required for your model.

• acm
    7 years ago

I have this range, and have found no noise issues (with either convection or regular use) nor problems with the stainless surface. All performance (and most reviews) quite delightful.

Not sure whether it allows you enough budget for a hood, although there are some pretty ones that don't break the bank.

• doriscolenan_jones
    7 years ago

Thanks all for your helpful responses. I thought deciding on backsplash was difficult. I'm finding buying a range and undercabinet hood to be more difficult, especially on a budget. I don't cook very much and I almost never bake, so I guess I could look for a lesser range.

• armyyife
    7 years ago
    I'm in the same boat, buying appliances for new construction and have been pulling my hair out looking at appliances. You find ones that seem to have a lot of positive reviews but then read the scary negative ones and then feel like you got to go back to the drawing board. I'm sick of looking. Good luck!
    PS I was looking at this same range but read one review that said they couldn't fit a large turkey roasting pan in the bottom half (I cook 20+ lb turkeys and use a large roasting pan so that's one of the things that makes me nervous buying this.
  • gustaviatex
    7 years ago

Samsung makes a single oven slide in range like the double oven model shown above. It has a "lip" on each side that rests on top of your counter so spills don't dribble between the stove and the cabinet. That is a feature that would be important to me.