Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Two Austins from the garden today

jerome
7 years ago

First up: a couple shots of Crown Princess Margareta. Planted this as a 1 gallon plant in 2010. It grew and grew and grew - and we pruned and pruned and pruned...and it had about 5 really lovely blossoms. I would have shovel pruned it into oblivion if I'd had the time and muscle (it's huge) but I let it stay. It's enough off the beaten track to fill some space nicely as a shrub. Then...this year...oh wow! I hope it repeats and that these past 6 years it was just getting warmed up. So glad I didn't remove it.

Next up: Carding Mill. This one stays around 4 feet tall. It's in a difficult spot - sandy soil and blast furnace hot southern exposure. It has been a champ since it hit the ground - also in 2010. The blossoms lighten as they age, but I don't care. Honestly I think the multi-colored effect is charming.

Comments (17)

• R pnwz8a
    7 years ago

hahaha!! whoa!!! u have the winners i guess.. i am jealous:)

jerome thanked R pnwz8a
  • altorama Ray
    7 years ago

Amazing roses!

jerome thanked altorama Ray
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    7 years ago

Great Scott!

jerome thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • dublinbay z6 (KS)
    7 years ago

What a wonderful rose the Crown Princess turned out to be. Fabulous!

jerome thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    7 years ago

Wowzers!! Just beautiful!! Glad you didn't get rid of Crown P or Carding Mill. I like be them both. Yours are gorgeous!

jerome thanked Prettypetals_GA_7-8
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Wow, gives me hope the wait is worth it! Beautiful.

jerome thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

My goodness, you got some magic there to grow them like that! So glad I planted 4 Crown Princess Margareta this spring, and my 2 Carding Mill don't repeat much (2 years old). Jerome, what do you feed them? Holy water?? :-)

• jerome
    Original Author
    7 years ago

First, thanks to all of you for your kind comments. Summersrhythm - pretty eclectic feeding here. Alfalfa meal; alfalfa tea with Epsom salts; seaweed stuff...or kelp liquid stuff...forget the name; compost; and Mills Magic Mix when I want to splurge.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks Jerome. I can collect tons of seaweed by the Lakes, have to look for Mills Magic Mix in the stores. I had a 40lb bag alfalfa, the rabbits loved it, they ate that plus my roses, they got so fat, but still can hop......

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

My eyes were out on stilts at the first picture. Rarely have I seen an Austin look like that. I guess that means you have to plan to be alive for another six years after you plant some of these Austins. Your CPM has glorious flowers. My own-root Carding Mill sat there as a dwarf for two years and is now slowly creeping past a 1-foot height. This is one rose that I wish I had bought grafted. Yours is gorgeous.

jerome thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • hcarnevale
    7 years ago

Both are stunning!

jerome thanked hcarnevale
  • jerome
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Summersrhythm - Mills you gotta get on line. Never seen it in a store.

Ingrid - this was an own root plant. I have grown to dislike grafted, with one exception, as I have a *lot* of problems with Dr. Huey suckering, and sometimes in a way/place that's almost impossible to remove. There is a place in Mississippi that grafts roses on Fortuniana - I'll send you an email tomorrow and give you contact info. I got Fragrant Cloud on their "Fort" grafts, because it's so puny otherwise, and have been very pleased.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    7 years ago

Amazing roses, Jerome, thanks for the pics. I also just bought a Fragrant Cloud on Fortuniana...hope it does well as you say. I remember FC being a most easy and generous variety when a grew it a number of years ago, but recently the ones I have bought (on Dr Huey and Multiflora ) have all turned out to be sickly runts.

jerome thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    7 years ago

They're amazing, Jerome!

jerome thanked Sara-Ann Z6B OK
  • rose_crazy_da
    7 years ago

I have never seen CPM look so lovely , I have had mine for almost
    five years( I have two ) and believe me it’s nothing to write home about. Your
    carding mills is amazingly unreal I have never seen a rose look that full of
    blooms from top to bottom

• User
    7 years ago

Such superb roses, so well grown.... obviously enjoying it where they are... I'm not sure which I prefer, maybe 'Carding Mill', as it takes up less space... and a most pleasing colour..