Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Is This A Virus Problem? Or A Common Issue? Anyone Know?

PoohBearLvr
7 years ago

Hey all.

This is my new 'SpiderMan' adenium, it and my 'Velvet Constellation' are finally growing, my 'Blue Dragon' is JUST starting to show growth tiny buds showing. On one of two stems that it came with. But as you see in the pictures, the leaves are 'Wavy', for lack of a better description. The leaves ARE a deep green, my camera makes them look light green or yellowish. ** SORRY... I JUST looked at it, and the leaves are striped like a zebra almost, it is kind of pretty!*** Is this a virus?

Anyway...I could swear I read on here someplace, that IF leaves on an adenium look 'Wavy' or have a color problem like this, it means it has a virus, or some other bad disease. Is this true? Or does anyone have other adeniums with 'Wavy' leaves or with the light stripping on it, like this in their collection? I have a huge double red, that I got at Lowes like 2-3 years, I potted it up 5 weeks ago...and it now is putting out a tons of new growth and lots of huge buds, and it has a FEW Wavy/Bent leaves on the new growth. But it is very healthy and growing great! Same conditions/care.

Anyway.....I contacted the seller, on EBay, that I bought this from, and frankly, while I was 'talked to' politely, at first I was told that they have NEVER seen 'Wavy' leaves like this before on ANY of their adeniums, I even missed the light green stripping, but they saw it in the pics, i guess. And I was told to keep an eye on it, and IF the leaves turn yellow or the flowers drop or are deformed, let them know.

THEN the next email, the next day, I got was kind of 'snotty', like a corporate line.....'we sell tens of thousands of adeniums, they are all soaked in an anti-fungicide for 3 hrs, before shipping, and they are sent with no leaves/buds, have passed all Oregon nursery tests etc.....' , like I was accusing them of selling me a diseased plant. And if I was 'the one lucky person out of thousands' to get a plant with a virus in it, out of the tens of thousands that they have sold, that I should, dig it up, and they will email me a prepaid shipping label, and ship it back to them for a refund. I decide what to do, but if I keep it, it is MY plant. And they basically don't want to hear me complain later! So I have to decide NOW!

So now I'm ticked. They didn't offer to send me a replacement, IF there is a problem, I told them I WANT this variety, and it is new growth,its first growth, it is growing, the ones right next to it are growing, finally, but they kind of blamed me this issue. They said it must be my environment, or it is missing micro-nutrients, I feed them already with Miracle-Gro 20-20-20 fert.

So...is this a disease, or is it just new leaves, is it just a fluke, maybe I have some kind of new 'mutant strain', and I'll have the first one in the world of some new variety?!

Do adeniums have ANY 'variegated' leaves? Since I now see this light green striping on the leaves as well. I think it is pretty.

To me it just looked kind of odd,...now I am concerned, and have a 'time limit'

on getting a refund, that I dont want, I want the plant, or take the risk that it has a virus or something else wrong, and it is mine to deal with, period. So...whats the consensus? This is outside in full sun all day. Best pics. I could take. You can kind of see the 'light green stripes' in the first picture. They are a bit bigger and a bit smoother, 2 days later...today.

Comments (29)

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is its FIRST growth. I bought this one, and the other 2 on EBay, they all came totally bald. No growth at all, they all looked dead. Healthy, but dead. Huge firm caudexs, but no growth at all.

So this is its first growth in I don't know how many weeks. Some of my other adeniums, that I have has for years, have leaves like the one in your 3rd picture. When they came out of dormancy this 'spring'....and they are all blooming and growing fine, except that damn double yellow one.

• Shang FL09
    7 years ago

About the yellow flowers you have, check the website whete you bought it from. If their flower looks like your. Then that might be their fully open form. Normally, ebay sellers will post the flower at it best, and not when the flower only half open way.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

poorbearluvr,

I have had this more so on newly acquired bare root plants when they first start putting out new leaves and not so much on Dormant plants that I have had for years. It is common as long as the leaves produce clear of this abnormality as it grows. More than likely it is as Shang has mentioned above.

Rick

PoohBearLvr thanked rcharles_gw (Canada)
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So you think it is from being a bare, bare root new plant,....it's first new leaves, not a virus/disease? The other new bare bare ones are coming out with 'normal' leaves so far. My 'Blue Dragon' is only JUST at the point of breaking out in leaf buds. But my 'Velvet Constellation' is at the same stage as 'Spider Man', and it isn't doing this. It has perfect green smooth deep green leaves.

im getting better advise here....maybe i dont have a problem on my hand.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Shang. As for my double yellow one, I bought it years ago, I don't know from who, I don't save that info. THAT long. So I cant tell them I got a 'lemon' from them, or go look at a picture of the flower it should have.

BUT a flower should open up. I wouldn't have bought this adenium, if I saw it only put out closed buds, as 'flowers'. it is suppose to be full rose types ,with red splashes. I'm going to dump it one of these days, or stick it in the ground, and see if that does anything to it.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

As for the plant with the odd shaped leaves. I am assuming that it more than likely is just an abnormality with the new leaves and will grow out of it. If it does not then, it could be Pests, viral, but you will need to give it time. Keep it away from the other plants if you have many. Give it time.

With the plants you speak of having Non Yellow blooms. This could be a number of different things. Humidity, light, fertilizer or just not sold the one you had seen in a photo?

Rick

• 5862xwg
    7 years ago

The moltened pattern on the leaves concerns me. Google "cucumber mosaic virus adenium" and see if the moltened pattern match. Deformed leaves are common for plants out of dormancy, but the color should still be somewhat uniform. In my opinion, you should throw out the plant, or put it in quarantine. Insects such as aphid can easily transmit virus to your other healthy plant. It's not worth contaminate your entire collection because you want to keep one cultivar.

PoohBearLvr thanked 5862xwg
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

RCharles_GW... The 'non yellow blooms' you read about in my post, is I have a double yellow that i have posted pictures of in here, about the blooms NOT EVER opening. The buds never open. They just get really big, then fall off after a few days, instead of opening.

I have never seen the flower open. And i asked if anyone knew why my yellow one would not open its blooms? I have a post with pictures of that plant on this site. If you care to go look.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

5862xwg i cant believe this! it looks just like that! and with a mag. glass I found tiny aphids in the growth on the plant! :( I killed those bastards...now i have to email that company and see if they will send me another one, and take this one back, and pay to ship it back, as they offered. but only offered a refund, not a replacement. Is this caused by MY locations/ MY bugs from my area? OR is a virus in the plant, and it is transmitted to other adeniums by aphids??

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are new pics. of the leaves....what do you all think. Virus?

• Shang FL09
    7 years ago

Our guess will be as good as your. If you are concern, you can send a sample to the Florida agriculture for testing. I believe it is free. I goggled the virus that was mentioned above and it appeared to be very common and can be transmitted by numerous way, especially by aphids.

PoohBearLvr thanked Shang FL09
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Im not going to the hassle of getting a test done by the agriculture collage here in Fla. I just contacted the seller with the new pics, and asked what they think about it, If it is this virus.

And IF they would take it back, or let me throw it out. Why would they want a virus in their greenhouse full of adeniums?!

And send me a new one. Not just take it back and refund my money. IF it is this virus, I might have to settle for JUST a refund...if I knew it was in the plant when i bought it, and it isnt caused by an aphid 'biting it'...then i have a lg to stand on!!! But I don't know if an aphid HERE caused it, or if it came with a virus already in it. Either way, I get the feeling i wont ever get to buy from them again. i ll never get my blue or purple one, or any more:( I'm going to be 'blackballed' from buying from them.

• Agartta
    7 years ago

I would isolate the plant and still grow it. My opinion.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

Poohbearluvr,

Best just to isolate, as Agartta has stated. Cover the plant if you can with a circle of bug screening to keep bugs off. They are what would spread a viral problem. Not saying it is, but better to be safe.

As for the Yellow Blooming plant producing buds to a large swollen size and then falling off premature of opening.

I had this happening to one of mine and It has not done it in the last few years. I started making sure it got a fertilizer w all the trace elements and especially Boron. Boron can play a big part in incomplete blooms and/or bud drop.

Rick

• User
    7 years ago

Hi poohbearlvr, Just a thought:- in regards to the yellow blooming plant/buds won't open.... Have you repotted the yellow blooming plant in the last year. If you haven't, then that could be causing the buds to not open. If it has old media/soil, there may not be enough nutrients left in the soil for the plant to use to open the buds. If it is potbound with old soil, any fertiliser that you might give it, is probably being washed right out - instead of being used by the plant. Also if it is a double/triple flower we have found that new potting medium/soil can be very helpful in giving the plant what it needs to open the flowers, & then you can give a light fertilising every two weeks to keep it flowering. Double/triple flowers can be stubborn sometimes as it seems to take a lot of energy to open them.

If you have repotted recently, please disregard this advice. Rachel :)

PoohBearLvr thanked User
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

it hasnt been transplanted in like 3 years, it is in a big pot, it is just now getting potbound, it has done this bloom problem since i got it. Any size pot.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok. NOW i am being told that these adenium were in dormancy for months. So they are 'feeding on' their stored food in the caudex. I asked about the Micro-Nutrients that they said it was missing. Then they told me about this dormancy. So the Fert. i am using on them is not being used by the plant yet. So...when will they? Anyone know? I am waiting for a reply from the grower.

I have been sent a prepaid return slip, to send it back to them, and i get a refund. No replacement. Big deal. IF it is feeding on its own internal food, how long will it take for my fertilizer to take effect? I thought they were growing and stripped of leaves, and then shipped. So...this could be a micro-nutrient problem from its past,before its dormancy. So it could be fine, in a month, 2 months, 3 months? So do i send it back? Do i keep it, or what?

I still dont know if i am blackballed from buying from them now, i am waiting on that to. but there is no one that sells adeniums on EBay, that has any assortment.....there is one that has like 7 varieties. Big deal! They said I should buy from another seller, and that IS the other seller. The rest are in Thailand...I'm not paying THOSE prices!

Well the pictures below are of my 'Lil' Mermaid', that I potted up into a big 2-3 gallon Gro-Pot, and this is the new growth and one of its blooms. Notice some of the new leaves are bent/curly. It has 'weird leaves', but it is only on some of the new ones, the rest are fine. BUT it is in full bud/bloom, putting out lots of new growth...and it doesnt have this Cucumber Virus. It isnt living on its stored food. I assume it was in dormancy this past 'winter, here in south Fla. I potted it up and it is taking off!

So...what do i do with my 'Spider Man' plant? Send it back?. Spin the wheel and keep it, and see if the leaves grow straight and dark green in a few months, after it starts to fed on my fert.? Take their refund and get no replacement? I am lost! I have it far away from all my other adeniums now...I didnt know it was dormant for months. And if it is 'feeding on' what is stored in the caudex, will it take months to be done with the caudex, or weeks? They wont wait months for me to decide, i assume. Opinions? It looks the same,its only been 1 day since i posted the last pics. I'm lost.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

Poobearluvr,

I may miss something here from your recent comments.

If your plants are not growing ( producing new Branch grow ), then they are not actively growing. If not actively growing, then use of fertilizer is not necessary.

I do not think anyone can tell you what to do, as for whether you keep the Spider Man plant or ship it back. This is something you can only decide on.

There are many reputable growers of great bloom choices, but not on Ebay.

Adeniumcenter (Kukuan) used to have a separate website with a large number of grafted plants. Possibly email her and she may give this information to you?

Rick

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The 3 adeniums I bought on EBay, from 'Pinkangelwingherb', are growing. My 'Blue Dragon' is just now barely putting out 2 growth buds on 1 of its 2 tiny stems. And my 'Velvet Constellation' is growing fine. The 'Spider man one ,is the one with the problem. IF it is the virus.

I has either this Cucumber Virus, or has a micro nutrient problem, from feeding on its 'dormant food storage' in the caudex. But I wont know that, till it uses up that stored food. I dont know how long that takes,. Now they are letting me send it back, they pay the shipping costs, and I get like $14 back out of the $27 it cost me to get! So i get screwed again, if i send it back, if i keep it.!

I have till Tues,. to get a Priority Mail box, to ship it back in to. Not just any box, it HAS to be a priority mail box. So i can send it back by Tues,. or keep it. They have now banned me from ever buying from them again. No one has any selection to choose from on EBay, they all have like 5 varieties. This place has over 120 to choose from.!

So im screwed out of getting any purples/maroons that I want. IF I want more adeniums, IF this isnt that virus, i want to buy more!!!. BUT i wont know for....months??, if it is this virus or not.

The 'SpiderMan' one has this leaf issue. BUT I only have till Tues to decide. It wont use up its 'stored food' by Tues! So thats fair! Its my life. I get screwed if i even ask a question about a problem. If i dont ask, then the seller says, 'if you only told us in the beginning, we would have fixed it'. You all know how it goes.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you dont! I just seem to be the one that always gets screwed. I should get a full refund and a replacement! I paid for a healthy plant, with no virus. Now i am offered a partial refund, by Tues. and banned from buying. and no replacement!

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

RCharles_GW......I tried to find this 'Adenium center' you mentioned and cant find a website....do you have the website address? I might as well go look and see if i can afford those adeniums. Are they in Thailand? Those tend to be high priced and the shipping is super high to. So when i came across this place, in Oregon, i thought it was perfect. So...do you know this persons website address? Thank you.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

Poohbearlvr,

I have sent you a "Message" with the last email for Kukuan (Adeniumcenter) that I used.

Sorry to hear that this is a seller from Oregon. There are a number of people hear that have ordered plants from "Adenium Rose" and "Roger". There is also Durham Botanicals (Chris) in the U.S.

Adeniumcenter is in Thailand. Some of the sellers in Thailand and most of the eBay sellers, ship International Priority Post. Only EMS if requested, which costs more. Time factor is between 3-4 days or 2 weeks. Our choice.

In the end. If we buy from sellers such as the one you have and have to send back plants, taking a loss. It ends up costing the same buying from a reputable seller such as Rinoa.

Rick

• Agartta
    7 years ago

Poohbear, I don't think that plant has a virus, I would keep it, it should corect itself in a little while. You never know, it might just have the best ever blooms for you. Good luck whatever you decide to do with "Spider Man"

• christine20gw(Australia)
    7 years ago

We see the mottled looking leaves on our plants here and it is caused from fungus in the soil. When unpotted there is usually a yellow or white fungus through the soil or green algae on the inside of the pot. Usually occurs most after excessive rain periods. The plant is absorbing water with fungus in the soil will produce this look. It will not improve until you unpot and wash the roots and repot with fresh soil. Also helps to treat with an antifungal treatment. Might not be the case with yours but it looks like it to me. As for the curled leaves, that is usually caused from a deficiency which will be missing in the soil. Again can be from fungus as all the good nutrients are destroyed from it. I haven't read the whole thread so don't know if you have recently repotted or not. But just thought it was worth mentioning.

Chris

PoohBearLvr thanked christine20gw(Australia)
  • christine20gw(Australia)
    7 years ago

Here's a photo of one of mine that I recently had to repot as the soil was full of yellow fungus after we went through a cyclone and had days and days of rain. The photo was taken just before I repotted it. Now that I have repotted in fresh soil the new growth is a nice solid colour again.

PoohBearLvr thanked christine20gw(Australia)
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

All 3 of my new adeniums are all in fresh new cactus soil, new clay pots, the other 2 are growing fine, no leaf problems, we had a huge 1 day of rain a week ago. it is as dry as a dessert here. They are new plants potted up from bare root. At this point i am stuck with this plant, i am banned from buying from this seller again! So i no longer get any 'fancy/new adeniums. Even if this is a virus, from them, i want more plants from them I cant afford the $40 shipping for 1 adenium from thailand.

IF i want others from this seller, ill just buy through friends, and use their names/address. If i want something that bad, i cant be stopped. Ebay already gave me a way around this sellers half back refund and no replacement plant. IF this is a virus problem, and I find out within 6 months, I am covered for a FULL refund!

I am hoping this is the Micro-nutrient problem they said it was, from being dormant for months. And once they start using the fert. I am feeding them with, not using its stored up 'food' in the caudex, this one will green up and bloom. If not, I'll get ALL my money back.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well all 3 of mine are now growing, the weird twisted one SEEMS to be getting nice normal leaves now,.....and of course, since I DARED to ask whats going on with my adeniium, to the seller on EBay, 'Pinkangelwingherb'.....they DID 'blackball' me from buying from them EVER again, and of course NOW they have in new stock, of purples and splashed blooms, that I have been waiting for them to post. So if I want them, i have to take the long way around to get anything.

BUT I dared to ask a question about their only product, and I am on the 'NO SELL list'. Never accused them of anything, just asked questions, and wham! NO SALE!!!

Like I am an ISIS terrorist. Maybe others here, (who dont buy from them), so you don't get blackballed to, ...MIGHT go on there, and send them an few emails, and thank them for being so kind to a 'new comer/new buyer' to the 'exotic variety' of adeniums world, and being such nice people in return.

But thats my update. No blooms to be seen yet,but have growth on all of them, maybe another month or so for blooms?

• Hyn Patty, Western NC Mountains (USA)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'd suggest anytime you have an unknown problem like this with a plant that you take it by your local agricultural extension office. They'll do all kinds of FREE tests for you. Check the PH, look for mites or other signs of insects, they can test for virus, etc. Some may charge a little but these services are absolutely free at my local county ag office.

PoohBearLvr thanked Hyn Patty, Western NC Mountains (USA)
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    6 years ago

well it is growing 'ok' now, i think it is going to be ok. The sellers are being total a--holes! They sent me an email out of the blue, to an email i sent them,LONG before they blackballed me from ever buying again..and i replied, 'why would I email you about my plant...you dont care!'... and let them know i have bought others, through friends...they sent back an email saying they will block ALL sales to Fla. now! Talk about cutting of your nose, to spite your face!

so i let them know to cut off sales to 12 other states, i have friends in all of them, so..'you will never know who i am buying from:) So..go ahead and loose half your sales. You are so full of hate'....I have never encountered such hateful people! I buy a plant from them, i ask a question, and ask for help. And i get blackballed from buying EVER, and i get another email telling me they are going to stop selling to all of Fla.! Wow!

Wish/hope others on here are taking my hint to email them, if you are not a buyer of theirs, and telling them how petty they are being, and that they are not nice, caring people/sellers. Now they are not even smart! Guess ill never know. I sure want a purpl they have out now. but i might as well buy from India,for the price i have to pay to double ship and wait for it to arrive. And screw them on getting any money from me anyway!