Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dguill

dguill
12 years ago
I need some suggestions on what to put along the pool wall at our house in La Quinta, CA. There is not room to plant anything into the ground. The former owner of the house put the 3 containers with palm trees along the wall which I do not llike. Should I use large containers with taller trees? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments (38)

• User
    12 years ago
    Hi dguill,

That's a beautiful pool, and I think you'd want something simple along the side to keep the focus on the pool itself. What about a long narrow planter box with some low-maintenance plants in it? Larger trees might block light from the pool, which could get annoying.

Hope that helps!
  • dguill
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    thank you. I tend to agree that a narrow planter box may be enough.
    dguill
  • Sheila Schmitz
    12 years ago
    I'd agree with cloverann about vines! I'd also put a big urn at the base of that column and plant a magenta bougainvillea vine there.
  • Dirt Digger
    12 years ago
    In the one bed that you have by the spa, I would do a beautiful espalier of some sort....gardenia would be a great choice if it works in your climate...that would give you an amazing vertical and horizontal element.
  • Shereen Ragheb
    12 years ago
    I agree with the vines idea even you can plant it beside the pillars to creat green arch but greenery is not all what the pool needs to look nicer may be you can cover the walls with stone or with mosaic or even by drawing extended garden
  • koolbeanzzzz
    12 years ago
    Hello,

I have a similar set-up in my back yard, but instead of a cement fence, we have a wood shadow box fence (not good). Totally agree with a well behaved vine preferably on trellises that are mounted to the cement fence (easier for maintenance). I used a creeping fig grown right on the fence, but this vine requires a lot of maintenance and not sure I would recommend. They look really pretty if they are maintained and definitely look better on a cement fence than a wooden shadow box however. I also used river rocks within the beds and tropical plants (we live in the Tropics). By experience, I can tell you not to plant anything that will grow large. We made a mistake of planting Travelers Palms. They are beautiful but now we are dealing with them breaking the fence if we don't keep them cut back. Your area is so small that you probably will not have a choice but small plants or shrubs. It's difficult to see your entire area, but possibly you might consider the low-lying curbing in those small areas should you decide to plant flowers or shrubs. This will allow for you to build up the beds with nice soil so your plants thrive as well that dirt will not have an opportunity to run off into your pool if you have a lot of rain. I will post the link to show you the curbing we used in the front of our home (Vanessa Brunner featured it in one of her Ideabooks). Also, I will post the link showing the pavers without curbing and the rocks just so you can see the different. And, lastly I will post a pic of my pool area where you can see everything.

Tropical Florida · More Info

Tropical Florida · More Info

Best of luck to you!

~koolbeans~
  • dguill
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you all for the great ideas and photos. Love the mural idea. I will search out a vine that would do well along that wall and also one that will not drop blossoms too often as they will end up in the pool constantly.
    I am sure there are some great vines that will do well in our desert area of California. Thank you again!
  • End Aw
    12 years ago
    Maybe a planter box or boxes on top of the wall that will provide hanging plants or vines that will drop down along the wall.
  • woofwoof
    12 years ago
    Honeysuckle grows like gangbusters in the desert, but like bouganvilla, may attract bees. You could also have hanging plants on the wall and balance with a couple of hanging plants on your patio.
  • PRO
    Lee Woodall
    12 years ago
    I think an arrNGEMENT OF ESPLAINERED TREES ALONG THAT BACK WALL WOULD ADD A SOFTER ELEMENT.
  • Danielle Combs
    12 years ago
    Planter/trellis with vine, ornamental grass, hanging plants.
  • PRO
    brownwilliam art + design
    12 years ago
    We use creeping fig vine a lot down here in Miami. Would soften the wall.
  • inkwitch
    12 years ago
    Whoever suggested a mural on the curving wall would be a good way to add color without having foilage dropping into hte pool. Something elegant, maybe Tuscan or Moorish in flavor, with live potted plants in front of the wall -- tall well-trimmed topiary evergreens in "huge" colored pots -- cobalt blue? Perhaps "ornamental" and controlled bamboo in a pot . Same thing beside that veranda column. Hanging plants are the best bet for flowering plants that are controllable.

Some colorful cushions in an outdoor fabric at the pool edge would add color. I don't see any poolside furniture except one wire chair. I wonder if a corner bench could fit in that corner of the veranda if none of the exits are located there.

Lovely pool. With the 100F temps we're having in the south, it looks inviting!
  • Sarah Tate
    12 years ago
    Here is a list of plants for around a pool compiled by a Southern California professional landscaper:
    http://www.landscapingnetwork.com/swimming-pool/plants.html
  • katherinecdavis
    12 years ago
    On the blank wall add a diamond shaped grid using a coated cable and have a vine grow on the cable. Something like confederate jasmine.
  • Becky Harris
    12 years ago
    I would love to see citrus trees integrated into this. Like a poolside orangerie!
  • dguill
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    wow, I want them all! thank you everyone. I can't wait to get to our desert house in November and begin woring on the landscape and pool area. Now I have great ideas to work with!

dguill
  • PRO
    InterDesign Studio
    12 years ago
    Beautiful pool. To keep it clean and add alot of green, I would plant creeping fig plants in the soil areas you have between the garden wall and the pool deck. Creeping Fig grows very fast and will cling to anything. It will completely cover the wall and is easy to maintain. After the wall is covered in green, if you want more, several grouping of decorative pots with seasonal color would give a real pop of color against the green backdrop.
  • Gail
    12 years ago
    Lovely pool area. Be careful what you choose for the wall, I agree a vine would be great, but things like honey suckle require hard pruning and the trunks get really big and woody, leaves grow on new wood. The creeping fig is such a pretty and compact vine, always love when I see it on a wall. You live in a great area and can grow just about anything, so your choices are many, have fun decorating your pool side.
  • Cathy
    12 years ago
    check out all the ways to use a wall with succulents...they can be attached to planters or large frames that hold moss and plantings of all varieties of succulents..sunset magazine website has the information...perfect for desert climate.
  • dguill
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    once again, thank you all. I think the fig vine may be the vine choice. also I will do some colorful pots with plants/flowers that are safe for pool areas.
    I also had thought of the succulents....on the wall sounds interesting!
    dguill
  • bluejay
    12 years ago
    vines with 2 different sized textures on wall

+ tall grasses in front of them to give depth and variations of height, length, movement, disguise depth of wall

+ removable fountains OR floating plant pots INSIDE the pool waters to add further interest to the whole space's depth and height (coloured flowers or simple greenery in perhaps coloured translucent plastic... with simple weights on lightweight chains that sink down just to the bottom of the pool (easily removable for swimming moments; even the weights could be sculptural)
  • Sonja Hilliard, DVM
    12 years ago
    I agree with firewife911. Vertical gardens are so chic right now and a great way to use the vast white vertical space of the wall. Use succulents for graphic/textural appeal or plant herbs if you cook and aroma or function appeals to you more.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/container/plans-ideas/make-a-living-succulent-picture/
  • Sheila Rowan
    12 years ago
    Don't put bougainvillea on the column - it would interrupt the flow and make the space feel cramped BUT I like the idea of magenta bougainvillea planted in the soil area and running along the top of the wall. Also hanging baskets (donkey tail sedum?) along the edge of the porch. I think you want to keep pots off the ground as much as possible to keep the space free flowing and uncluttered. It's a potentially gorgeous space!
  • Lisa Lornie
    12 years ago
    If you dont like the yellow maybe a nice aqua would work.
  • dguill
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    thanks, I like both ideas. I love the yellow. the tile art is wonderful.
  • PRO
    Exterior Images-landscape architecture
    12 years ago
    I just joined the site today. I hope you have not planted the ficus vine.
    Your site is great but the integrity of the pool and the wall are of much more importance than the plantings. The ficus vine will develop large roots that can ruin the plumbing or the structure of the pool stay away from them. Next the existing palm at the far end, was a root barrier used all the way around it? If not you will down the road either have wall problems or again possible pool plumbing or structural problems. Is this a full time residence? If not do not put planters on the wall the heat will kill anything in a pot if it isn't in the shade. The ideas of a mural or built out detail on the wall, a raised water spillway could help. Even a few vines are available out here but they will all need maintenance. The native grasses or small agaves could possilby work.
  • dguill
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I have not planted or done anything yet as I am still in Virginia. We will return to La Quinta early November. I plant to meet with a landscape designer also for ideas. Thanks for the input about the vines. I don't want stuff dropping in the pool nor hugh roots causing damage in this area. This is a 6 month residence so, yes I will need to be careful what I plant since we will not be there full time. I love grasses so I will check on these. Thank you again.

• PRO
    12 years ago
    Give me a call when you get here. I am sure with an hour or two consult we can have solutions that you like.
    Hal Blevins
    hal@exteriorimages.com
    760-202-8567
  • dguill
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Wow, didn't realize you were in the desert also. How exciting. I will give you a call when we arrive!
    Thanks.
  • judie
    12 years ago
    How about some sculptural objects to hang on wall. Fountain with over flow of water into basin, eg lions head with water feature along with vines. Use whatever element as focus that matches your interior decor, modern, Spanish, traditional, etc. Paint wall a water color?? Just a thought.
  • dguill
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I love the idea of the wall fountain. Color on the wall also. The thing that I need to be careful with is the plantings. Don't want leaves, etc falling into the pool. thank you for your input!
  • Kris
    12 years ago
    I didn't read all the comments, but I absolutely LOVE the creeping fig. It may discolor your wall though, may want to check that out. The only drawback to containers is they dry out quickly. A mural a GREAT idea, but may be pricey. My very first impression was trellis or box flowers that are native to your area. Choose natives for less maintenance, we live in TX and I use a lot of salvia and they do so well and attract hummingbirds. If you go native, choose something that will attract something like butterflies etc., just not bees! Good luck, even if you never did a thing, that is one GORGEOUS pool.
  • Rita_M Hamann
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    La Quinta Country Club in La Quinta, California has been a part of the surrounding landscape and city since its founding in 1959. This private club is historic and full of charm, clinging tightly to tradition and a rich heritage.

http://www.flowerbedideas.com/flower-bed-edging/
  • PRO
    Fleurdelis Landscape Design
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would definitley add more drama with overrscaled plantings and large pots all in the same family or one color, perhaps in one of your favorite colors You are already lucky enough to have the pool, however, the vision is very cold with too much hardscape to look at. You want the space warm relaxing and inviting. You do want the area to reflect your own lifestyle. What's great about pots is that they can be moved to accomodate you. If you have company and need to accomodate guests or even if you want a little bit of change. They also can be changed according to season. Add another layer by incorporating landscape or night lighting. Adding furniture that is comfortable and complimentary of your home and plantings is another welcoming feature.... Start by softening the wall with pots of tall narrow or architectural evergreens, add plantings of soft hydrangeas with white color like 'Annaball' or 'Limelilght' along the entrance walk and pehaps reflected or duplicated in another area like near the spa. Add white and green hostas for drama and scented varieties with white flowers, add one other color like blue or pink for a cool pallete or orange and yellow for a warmer pallet. Good Luck!
  • Rose Bey
    8 years ago
    Have you thought about painting the wall yellow and then planting a magenta Bougainville vine on it? Look in Houzz in photos under Bougainville on yellow wall. Have fun with it!
  • djguoll
    8 years ago

That sounds beautiful. I posted the pool photos several years ago. We had someone paint a desert scene mual on the long wall.....not the whole wall, but just enough for interest. It turned out really nice. We get lots of compliments from guests. I do add flowers when in season. Thx again for your suggestion....maybe I will have the same person do the Bougainville on another wall!