Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbstarr0622

Gardenia Issues

Jeanne
6 years ago

I recently planted some gardenias in my front garden. One shrub seems to be doing fine while the others look sick. I planted them in March and they were doing fine until now. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong. They get morning sun until about 2:00. Any help would be great. P.S. I live in zone 9 in Florida

Comments (9)

• blutayle
    6 years ago

HI Jeanne,

Two things Gardenias hate more than anything, wet roots and nematodes. If you are in a Southern area that is known to have nematodes, the gardenia must be grafted to go into the ground. It also must be well drained/ventilated or root rot sets in quickly. I try to keep them out of mid day sun this time of year and also make sure they don't dry out completely.

• Laura F (z9FL)
    6 years ago

also make sure that there isn't an insect problem. I'd also check the pH they don't like it too alkaline. Since you planted them I assume that you didn't seen any construction material in the area but that is what i thought of when I saw the picture.

• Jeanne
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh boy. . . wet roots could diffently be the issue then. I have been watering them quite a bit because I thought they need more water since they were turning yellow. I will cut back and see what happens. Thanks so much for the information.

• ritaweeda
    6 years ago

Mine look the same. I have them in pots now but had them in a different spot in the ground. When one died I dug the remaining two out and put them in pots but they might have gotten infected with nematodes before I did it. I even put railroad spikes in the pots for more iron for the yellowing leaves, didn't help.

• Jeanne
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I guess only time will tell. lol I have two larger ones on both sides of the walkway doing the same thing. One is fine, the other one looks sick. I thought more water was needed. I will check for nematodes and cut back on the watering. Love the info! Thanks

• soflatoothfairy
    6 years ago

I have mine in large pots. Mine didnt really start taking off until I put them int he front of the house (facing east) where they only get morning sun. I don't remember them blooming at all when they got afternoon sun (even in the shade).

• blutayle
    6 years ago

Jeanne,

Yours seems to be a miniature version like radicans or veitchi, try looking for a regular sized like Miami Supreme or August Beauty, and make sure it is grafted. You can always tell as it will be a silver thick trunk and then darker colored stems implanted into the top of that trunk. The grafted versions are more vigorous, less prone to overwatering, and overall perform better. What you have planted in the ground, if one of those varieties, I have only had success with in pots.

• Jeanne
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you. I am amazed at the responses and appreciate the information. I am going to give the shrubs a week or 2, let only the sprinklers water them and see if they start to look better. If not . . . in pots they will go. Thanks everyone. :)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus