Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Help, I Need Opinions on Outfts for Wedding & Cancun Trip!

LynnNM
6 years ago

I was just whining on another thread here about not having a dress for a wedding we're attending in Austin in a couple of weeks. And then I remembered another LBD of mine in the back of my closet and it's perfect. At least, I think it is. We New Mexicans don't dress up too all that often (LOL) and I forget what I have. The morning after the wedding, though, we fly down to a resort in Cancun. I don't think the dress will work down there, and both sets of jewelry (below) are very expensive and I'm worried about the chance of theft there, as well. I could perhaps bribe DD into taking my dress and jewelry home with her to our house on her way back to grad school (she's a bridesmaid in the wedding). Anyhoo, do you think the green turquoise is too casual? Although, most people these days wear a lot of very bold costume jewelry. This is bold, but definitely the real stuff.

OK, here I am in my dress, with messy, uncombed hair and minimal makeup, but you can see the jewelry. And, yes, my hair is brown, although DD tells me it's considered light brown here in NM. Oh, and the dress fits smoothly across the top, not gathered as it seems to be in this pic:

Here's the dress on a hanger in my bathroom (sorry, this was done in a hurry!)

Close-up of jewelry:

And here are my boldest pearls that I could wear, along with my diamond watch to help me look a little more dressy. I have 3 sets of pear earrings I can wear. This is just one of them:

I'll be back with Cancun outfits, but I need to get dinner started!

Comments (34)

• deegw
    6 years ago

Hi Lynn! I really like your turquoise jewelry but both sets would look good. I think the shoes will be what makes the outfit look more or less dressy.

LynnNM thanked deegw
  • Funkyart
    6 years ago

I agree.. the shoes will set the tone. I really like the pearl pendant (I have one similar but without the pearl) and I think it lightens and brightens the black dress (which is adorable!) If it's comfortable, I don't know why you couldn't wear the black dress at the beach resort-- a few colorful bangles or even your silver would look great for a post beach dinner or cocktails/dancing.

LynnNM thanked Funkyart
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I love the pearl necklace and would maybe wear a sheer jacket(?) for the wedding. You can easily wear that dress in Mexico for dinner with some sassy sandals.

LynnNM thanked just_terrilynn
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh gosh, thank you! I wasn't sure the dress would work for Cancun. Although we've lived here in New Mexico for years, this will be my first time to Mexico. I've been very paranoid up until now, because good friends of ours were accosted by bandits down there and almost killed some years ago.

Ok, the dress is a go! I, sadly, have a MAJOR problem with shoes, though. I have short, wide feet (6.5 w) with very high arches, and no longer am able to wear any heels more than 1" high. They also can't be narrow, thin heels. These are my dressier pair of shoes that would work. My alternative is to go out and try to buy a pair of black ballerina flats . . . IF I can find a pair with good support. My feet are a major problem when dressing up!

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

I think for the time of year I'd go with the dressiest sandal that's comfortable for you. (and so nice to see you, Lynn.. you are adorable and look so young! Love your light brown hair.. if mine was as pretty, I'd stop coloring it!)

LynnNM thanked Funkyart
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

I think the turquoise is too casual for the wedding. Both the look and length of it.

With the round neckline, I would do a choker. Something that says above the neckline. With the silver shoes, I would do a simple silver choker.

(I also have the same problem with shoes. High arches, wide and I bump up to a 6, (but most times that doesn't work either.)

Never a good idea to travel with expensive jewelry.

People (usually the older crowd) often like to dress up at resorts, although it's not necessary. Sandals will make it less formal. I think it will be fine in Cancun.

LynnNM thanked eld6161
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Lynn have you tried ordering from Zappos? They even have www wide. The reviews can be helpful in what might work. I have no idea of what you like but there are some cute ones in your size...6.5 W

LynnNM thanked just_terrilynn
  • Funkyart
    6 years ago

Oh, I didn't see the shoe photo when I responded.. if you need a full shoe, I think they'd be ok. I do think sandal for the time of year though.

I really don't think I'd wear a choker with a dress that isn't fitted-- I think the length is needed.. I am sticking with the pearl pendant.

LynnNM thanked Funkyart
  • blfenton
    6 years ago

The dress will be perfect at a resort in Cancun but I would wear a pair of sandals.

I like the first set of jewellery with the pictured shoes for the wedding..

LynnNM thanked blfenton
  • robo (z6a)
    6 years ago

I would wear the turquoise in Cancun if you feel comfortable. I think it would look really appropriate and nice in a beach setting. How fancy is the wedding in Austin?

I see a lot of black at weddings these days but I live much more North.

LynnNM thanked robo (z6a)
  • czarinalex
    6 years ago

I've been to a couple of weddings in the past 2 years... here in the NYC tri-state area, lots of black dresses. Particularly among the younger set. I do think it's a quaint notion. I wore navy, but wouldn't think twice about wearing black.

LynnNM thanked czarinalex
  • deegw
    6 years ago

When a friend got married 25+ years ago the bridesmaids wore dresses with white tops and black skirts. Many people were up in arms about the dresses. Fast forward 25 years and I don't think people under 40 think twice about wearing black to weddings. I understand the sentiment but I don't think black is as associated with funerals and mourning as it used to be.

LynnNM thanked deegw
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Other than my wedding ring, I never travel with jewelry that I'd be really upset about losing. Too much stuff can happen from theft to accident. And good looking costume stuff is readily available, so I'd opt for that.

LynnNM thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

I don't worry about travelling with jewelry; i just put it in the safe. I think it is a shame to not enjoy my jewelry. That said, I have come to prefer a lot of my costume stuff because it can be more trendy and interesting.

LynnNM thanked MtnRdRedux
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I like either set for the wedding, but love the pearls and silver for a dressier look for the wedding. And a big YES to taking the dress to Cancun. You can always dress it down with less ornate silver or costume stuff and fun earrings and sandals.

As for shoes, my DD also has very high arches and wide feet (mine are narrower and high). She found some very cute neutral sandals at Dillard's after a lengthy search for her wedding. Zappos is a great choice because their shipping is so fast and you can return anything you don't like/need. If you go with the silver jewelry, I'd opt for neutral low-heeled wedge sandals in pewter (like your flats) or black. Maybe even in a pearl-sand color you could take to Mexico too.

LynnNM thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    6 years ago

I like the turquoise, but not with the jeweled shoes. High quality Indian jewelry is a regional thing that is not recognized elsewhere. I'm thinking it will work in TX. My dad wore a beautiful bolo tie to my wedding. And we're in So Cal where it's a bit more of a reach

LynnNM thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

I think 1929 hit it on the head; it is regional. In our area, that dress and silver jewelry would read as casual. But it probably would not where you are; as for Austin, I would think that is different from both places!

The dress is so cute though.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

If you are worried about theft, I would not bring any pricy jewelry you have emotional connections to, to Cancun. Insurance doesn't replace the emotional. I haven't been there, but you seem to know of some bad situations in the area. I'd find some nice jewelry that isn't pricey to bring along. Simple, comfortable, and such.

A sun dress or two. Shorts, a nice pair of longer slacks that are easy to wash.

As for the wedding, either set of jewelry in your initial post is complementary! And even up here in the Northeast, I know people who wear turquoise high quality jewelry to wedding events. (Dad's girlfriend was totally Bohemian that way and more, and she certainly could carry it off!)

Shoes I know nothing about. I'm size 10.5 - men's. And can't wear heels. I try for sandals, but that's hit or miss. Seriously, when my feet hurt, it's worse than when I've dealt with most after-surgery recovery.

Capris or short-cut slacks look great on other people, but on me, they simply look like I couldn't find a size long enough to wear... Oh well!

I like the swim shorts and the swim skirt suggestions!

LynnNM thanked artemis_ma
  • always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

oh, I love that little ruffle on your dress.

LynnNM thanked always1stepbehind
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all your ideas and input! Justerrilynn: thanks for the Zappos link and shoe ideas. I'm heading over to look there in a minute.

As for the wedding, it's formal, but not black tie (or long gowns necessarily). It's actually at a place right outside Austin in Driftwood, called Pecan Grove.

Lots of pics now:

These are the other shoe possibilities that I have to wear to the wedding . . . or the sandals in Cancun. Like I said, my feet make dressing up a real problem! On top of having very high arches and wide feet through the toe area, they're boney, so comfort is a huge thing for me when it comes to shoes. They have to have good support and padding. These, or I can order something from Zappos? The sandals I bought last month in Tucson won't work, as two are navy and the white pair will only work for my capris and shorts.

And here are a couple other costume jewelry options:

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

As far as resort clothes go, I just had to cancel my bathing suit cover-up order, as the delivery time went from one week to anytime from 7-30 days. Grrr!

I have two new camisoles that just arrived a minute ago. One black and one white, spaghetti straps with a light built-in bra. I plan on wearing those under some of these tops below. I can bring along nice white shorts, capris, dress slacks and/or leggings. I have the same in black, as well. And, because I have long, slender legs, and small hips and bottom, I can wear leggings well . . . although always with a top that covers my bottom, just because.

This top came from Stella Rae's last year: It has kind of a bat wing arm design, although Stella Rae's calls it a kimono. It's very pretty on and works well with a black cami and my black leggings, or black capris. It might even work with my LBD inside the church if I wear my pearls.

This one, also called a kimono, is from Stella Rae's this season. I'd wear it with a white cami and either white leggings or capris.

Here's 3 other tops. This black & white print looks great with black or white shorts, capris or leggings. I wear a black cami under it, as the white cami looks like I'm wearing an undershirt (LOL)!

This turquoise top comes with it's own separate matching cami:

I don't have many costume jewelry necklaces but this one might do :

The photo does not do it justice, but this top (above) is so pretty on (especially when it's ironed-LOL!). I wear it with my white capris , slacks or shorts and my white drop earrings.

So, what do you think? Will they do for Cancun? I would be wearing white or black sandals with them all.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

Like you said, you plan to spend alot of time poolside and at the beach. I like all that you have shown for Cancun. You might want to add a couple of casual dresses (you may have said that, I didn't read everything). However, for a formal wedding, I am not a fan of the dress. Also, for this time of year, I'd do a dressy sandal of some sort and not a closed in shoe, but that's just me. Have you tried a block heel or wedge heel? I can wear higher heels in those type shoes.

LynnNM thanked tinam61
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

For me, those tops would be for evening. For day, strolls on the beach, sitting at the pool, it'ssleeveless tees and shorts, bath suit and cover up.

Anyone of those sandals would make your dress more casual.

I would stick to the first pair of shoes for the wedding. The two tone are too business like.

is the silver necklace shorter than your tourquois? As I mentioned previously, a necklace that doesn't go below the neckline will seem dressier. Your longer ones, although beautiful, make the dress more casual.

LynnNM thanked eld6161
  • rubyclaire
    6 years ago

Lynn - I think you have some really nice options for tops for your Cancun trip. And those kimonos would be great over your LBD or a casual cotton tank dress. A great cover-up and you are set!

LynnNM thanked rubyclaire
  • Bonnie
    6 years ago

The dress could go for both the wedding and Cancun. In the Northeast women at formal weddings dress in elegant cocktail dresses (mostly, and plenty are black!) with strappy sandals and nice jewelry. If you wear the dress to the wedding, I'd add a nice choker length necklace and complimentary earrings. Then I'd add a pair of the nicest dress sandals you can find (and be comfortable in); no closed-toe shoes. To add some bling, you can do that with a nice wrap.

All is fine for Cancun! Enjoy both!

LynnNM thanked Bonnie
  • MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

I love the spectators but something about the flounce doesn't say "spectator" to me. I might wear the silver sandals, and I love the last necklaces w silver and MOP? So pretty.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

For the wedding the first set of shoes is better unless you can find a really dressy pair of strappy sandals.

I love the last set of jewellery that you showed. I don't know if it's going to go to Cancun or if it's a wedding option. If you didn't want to risk losing your turquoise jewellery you could wear the last set to the wedding.

The clothes that you have set out for Cancun are perfect for strolling outside the resort and for dinners within the resort as well.

When we've gone I live in my bathing suit unless we're leaving the resort or for meal times.

LynnNM thanked blfenton
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

For the resort, I like all your choices. I don't think I'd do the spectators either, they look too much like something that should be work with a suit or pantsuit. Of the 3 shoes you show together, I'd either go with the black woven thongs on the right or the pewter on the left. I love the 2nd silver necklace.

LynnNM thanked OutsidePlaying
  • amykath
    6 years ago

I love your sandals you posted most recently. I particularly love the middle and far right pair!

I love the turquoise jewelry with your black dress. I always think when wearing black or a solid neutral it is fun to add a pop of color!

LynnNM thanked amykath
  • Yayagal
    6 years ago

I had decided on my two choices but MTN just posted it. You will look lovely, smart and comfortable.

LynnNM thanked Yayagal
  • amykath
    6 years ago

These peep toe sandals come in extra wide and are super fun. They come in black and neutral. If you are not looking to buy sandals, forgive me...

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/naturalizer-olivia-peep-toe-wedge-women/4549660?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK%20LEATHER

Also Aerosoles has some lovely extra wide sandals.

http://www.aerosoles.com/store/browse/womens-sandals/womens-wide-sandals

LynnNM thanked amykath
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all so much for the VERY good and VERY helpful advice! OK, the spectators are out. I'm pretty paranoid about my green turquoise jewelry and will probably either wear it just to the wedding and have DD hand carry it home again while DH & I head down to Cancun, or wear one of the others.

I've been running errands in town - and cleaning for our house & dog sitter all day today, as we leave tomorrow to move DD up to grad school in Colorado Springs. First we need to pack up the big U-Haul truck, DD's car and our Sierra pick-up. Then it's a 5 1/2 hour drive up there. We'll move her in Friday night, all day Saturday, and head home Sunday. So, please forgive me if I don't reply back here again until Monday. I've read every suggestion and am definitely using them to pack for Austin & Cancun starting Monday, so I'll be back then. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. This is going to be a marathon moving event! Oh, and did I mention that her new apartment in on the 3rd (top) floor and there are no elevators? I may make my 10-pound weight loss after all (LOL)!

• amykath
    6 years ago

Sounds like quite an endeavor. Good luck with everything! I bet you will lose a ton of weight with all of that exercise!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County