Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boodsyboods

Are kitchen inner drawers really practical or just annoying?

joni stephen
6 years ago

Can't decide whether to go for an inner draw with cutlery, which means from the outside it looks more streamlined but you essentially have to open two drawers to get a teaspoon. I'm told that you get used to it and its faster un-stacking the dishwasher, you get a bit more depth in your drawer, but i just can't help thinking that it will be annoying.

Does anyone have this system? are you happy with it?

Comments (12)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

its faster un-stacking the dishwasher

Totally don't understand that part. To me they are a major fashion over function choice. What's quicker?

1. Open drawer, put stuff in.
    2. Open drawer, open drawer, put stuff in?
  • Terri_PacNW
    6 years ago

I have Ikea, inner drawer in every base but under sink.

I love them. I have all double drawer lowers.

Inner makes 3 with the look if two.

Technically I have one door, but its a front with a full extension drawer glide that I stand sheet pans and cooling racks in.

joni stephen thanked Terri_PacNW
  • joni stephen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

writersblock, its kinda of like you have all your bowls and plates and cutlery in the one drawer so you can fill everything in one drawer rather than possibly 3 separate drawers. But yes technically its still two drawers. Im just reciting what others perceive as a benefit. Im still undecided.

some argue you open the one drawer and grab everything you need to set the table so could be quicker but not to just grab a teaspoon, which is my argument.

• mushcreek
    6 years ago

We have one, and it works well. I was going to build more, but one is all we need. We use it for flatware, with bowls underneath. It would have seemed wasteful to use an entire drawer for a 2" tall flatware holder. It does make for more compact storage in a kitchen pressed for space. I suppose it's more 'work', but we're not really in a race to get the table set.

joni stephen thanked mushcreek
  • sherri1058
    6 years ago

I have a couple of the drawer-in-drawers and the way that I use them is to have the most used items in the bottom section so that most of the time I only need to open one drawer.

When I redid my kitchen last year I opted for mostly 4 drawer stacks. It's personal preference, of course, but I do prefer the look of the shallower drawer fronts.

• misschocolatecake
    6 years ago

This is a great question because I have to decide this now too. I wasn't going to do this but it sounds like a more compact way to organize and maybe you get a bit more storage depth out of the top drawer that has the drawer in it? Maybe?

My bank of lower cabinets is 24", 36", 24", then 36". And I am doing like a minimalist kitchen. If I do one drawer in a drawer, must I do it to all 4 of them for consistency?? Seems like it would be unnecessary.

• atiman
    6 years ago

No need to do it for all of them. I only put in 2 drawer in drawer. Most used items in the main drawer and less often items in the second smaller drawer. Most times my family forgets that there's another drawer there.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I have a drawer-in-a-drawer, but mine is in a large bottom drawer and the inside drawer is quite shallow and has dividers and is for canned goods. I love it!

• Kathryn P
    6 years ago

Do you have the ability to add them later if need be, or does the decision need to be made now?

We have IKEA cabs and initially had no plans to go with the drawer in drawer option. But then our 15" deep drawers felt too big in some areas, so we added the interior drawer in some places. I wouldn't like them for multiple times a day use, but do like having the additional storage without changing the exterior look.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

I don't have them, did not want them. Personally don't care for them. Mine work great for me as they are.

• new-beginning
    6 years ago

my new 24" IKEA has the 3 drawer look, with the top drawer being the drawer within a drawer - I love mine, silverware in the lower portion, place mats and cloth napkins in the upper portion.